MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Racer's Club House (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What is your favorite type of racing? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=42901)

Fox Body 05-14-2004 10:34 AM

What is your favorite type of racing?

For me, first place goes to rally car racing. I don't think there exists any better drivers than those guys. I never have as much fun watching any other race competition than rally car racing, except probably Le Mans or drag racing. The thing is, I hardly ever see much rcr on TV, always NASCAR..... :rolleyes: I guess that's supposed to be the "American" or maybe just southern American icon of racing....

Consequently, the most boring racing to me is probably NASCAR, uggghh, going around a big oval all day long is not all that exciting or fun. I do respect those guys for their skill, to be riding at 200 mph and still control the car and bring it under submission if it does a 180 degree spin b/c it got tapped in the rear by the trailing car (like I saw happen a couple of weeks ago). All in all, it's still racing so it's kinda cool, just can't watch it for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Mass Stang 05-14-2004 10:41 AM

Drag Racing without a doubt. Nothing better than watching John Force take his Castrol Mustang down the 1/4 mile with all candles lit at 320 plus MPH !!!!!

bigred90gt 05-14-2004 11:23 AM

I would have to say that its a toss up between rally and drag racing. The skill involved in rally racing is unreal. Those guys get my utmost respect. But the brute force of drag racing gets my blood pumping somethin serious. The rumble of the cars asthey barrell down the track, reaching speeds in excess of 300mph in a 1/4 mile. Thats freakin insane.

I must add that NASCAR is my least favorite racing of all time. I mean, come on, turn left for 4 hours. I would fall asleep. Granted they are driving within inches of each other at 180mph, but thats because they all have the same top speed. It used to be whoever had the best pit crew won the race. Now its a matter of who doesnt wreck their car.

CHRIS75 05-14-2004 12:33 PM

For me it has to be drag racing and not the big guys but the little guys like you and me, you see every once and a while on t.v, dont get me wrong i love watching the big guys battle it out but if something goes wrong with the cars you know they'll be but in the next round maybe. As for the little guys, if something goes wrong they end up going home with a broken car, im not saying i like watching them wreck there cars but just to see guys racing there cars that dont have big name sponsors backing them and alot of money plus a crew. thats drag racing

Ieatcamaros 05-14-2004 04:45 PM

Hey man what about all of the above? But, I like to watch drag racing the most.

carlos.elliott 05-14-2004 05:23 PM

My answer depends on weither I am the one doing it or just watching it on tv. If I am watching it it would be nascar. If I am doing it I feel Rally because it is a really fast and constantly changing. I think my second would be drag as I have done a little. I might like it beter if I had a fast car to drag so who knows.

82 GT 05-14-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mass Stang
Drag Racing without a doubt. Nothing better than watching John Force take his Castrol Mustang down the 1/4 mile with all candles lit at 320 plus MPH !!!!!
You got that right!! I used to watch Nascar all the time until I went to Reading, Pa. and actually saw,in person, an NHRA event.
After that day, it's been strictly drag racing. I watch it every Sunday it's on TV and have been going to Reading, Pa. for the last two years. This year I bought tickets to see them at Englishtown next month.
I can almost guarantee that once you go to an NHRA event, you will be hooked for life!!
Nascar is boring and is subject to frequent rule changes. They want them to go fast....but not too fast.
If they would just allow the drivers to "race" then it would be much better to watch.

Ieatcamaros 05-14-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

If they would just allow the drivers to "race" then it would be much better to watch.
Tell me about it. I still like to watch the saturday night short track races though. Bristol and Richmond.:D They are racing in Richmond this weekend. Drag racing is much more fun to watch in person and on tv. I have seen both in person.

joe4speed 05-15-2004 05:23 AM

Drag racing.... and second is NASCAR!!! :)

KiltedBanshees93GT 05-15-2004 09:01 AM

Another vote for Rally Racing. I just wish I had cable after some of the vids I've seen online. Second would be a toss up between drag racing and Lemans.

J

LX5liter 05-15-2004 10:11 AM

Drag racing is my favorite one to participate in and watch live, but I would rather watch rally racing on the T.V.. Those guys can frickin' drive!!

drudis 05-17-2004 12:52 PM

Other: ROADRACING

Fox Body 05-17-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drudis
Other: ROADRACING
Whoops, *slaps forehead* sorry man, I knew I'd forget something... :(.

Well, educate me, roadracing doesn't fall under the "autocross" category?

MidNiteBlu 5.0 05-17-2004 10:45 PM

I voted for drag racing even though I prefer road racing over drag racing. though im a fan of both :D

fox body there is quite a difference between road racing and autocross. autocross is usually set up in a parking lot and you drive around cones, normally a small tight track, which is why small light fwd cars are usually great at it. However road racing is on bigger, faster tracks, that are actual race tracks such as laguna seca, willow springs etc.

6T9PONY 10-12-2004 04:18 PM

I'm going to have to go with drag racing here, too. Sprint cars are a blast to watch, but they're just not quite as intense as drag racing.

ultraflo 10-12-2004 11:01 PM

drag racing!!! ....no doubt :cool:

The ultimate display of horsepower.

drudis 10-13-2004 07:41 AM

Roadracing!!! ....no doubt
The ultimate display of skill and setup.
(not necessarily hp)

http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/2...s/IMG_4027.JPG

ultraflo 10-13-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drudis
drag racing!!! ....no doubt
The ultimate display of skill and setup.

...yeah, that too. :)

StockRustang 12-02-2004 11:21 PM

Re: What is your favorite type of racing?

Drag Racing.
nothing like sitting on a dark backroad with another car in the lane next to you at about 12:30 on a weekend night after a nice VHT burnout......damn i miss the summer.

fordracer17 01-26-2005 08:54 PM

Re: What is your favorite type of racing?

Ashpalt short track circle track racing. I'm not talking about Nascar, I'm talking Saturday night local tracks with 20 lap features and plenty of fistfights. I hate to watch but after driving for four years, three in the ONLY Fox body Street Stock in a sea of C*****S and M*** C***, and one in a Late Model Taurus bodied car, one of two Ford powered cars, I have to say if you want some adrenaline, this is where it is. 1/4 mile oval and 15-20 cars. I'm not knocking any other racing but until you try this, you'll never know.