MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Racer's Club House (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Whats the real scoop on Street Outlaw and Renegade? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=8829)

CobrasVenom89 05-05-1999 04:37 PM

Whats the real scoop on Street Outlaw and Renegade?

I went to FF Houston last weekend and watched my freinds from Texas Jam win all the classes they chose to race in. well heres my beef.. I was just reading this websites FAQ on the Renegade and the Outlaw classes and they seem to be way outa date.. Or that Certain High dollar sponcer cars are allowed some leway in the rules.... Under Rengade section it specifically states that no aftermarket Sheetmetal and or box type intakes are allowed.. well the Upper Intake on the Texas Jam Sponcered Chip Haverman car that won the event and set new NHRA records on saturday had a Vortech Powerbox for his upper intake.. nearly the same box that is Used on the Texas Star Outlaw (soon to be pro) car... Also it states that the stock seats must be used and no gutting is allowed.. well this car also has Recaro or Flofit drag racing style seats in it. and his competeitive ET was off the scale... he ran 9.7s in Renegade at Houston.
And won the class easily noone was even near this car in performance and Horsepower.
So is this Sites FAQ up to date? or is a sponcer car getting away with murder?

------------------
Texas Jam Prepped 89 LX 306ci Forged Flat top pistons ARP bolts, balanced,Blueprinted 65 289 heads Lunati Custom NOS grind cam Holcomb Aluminum intake 1.7 rockers NOS etc etc etc. ask if you want more see the car Fun Ford Houston

jchambers 05-05-1999 06:05 PM

The rules summary given on the Mustang Works site is somewhat out of date. It is not, however, meant to be a replacement for the official Fun Ford Weekend Series Rulebook anyways. You should always consult the current rulebook for the complete class rules and consult with the FFW Tech Director (George Klass) if there are any interpretations you'd like clarified. I don't know if/when there are any plans to bring the rules summary on this site up to date (you'd have to check with Dan on that one).

I do know that they tore Chip down on Saturday evening and he was found to be in complete compliance with the rules. That is the only way that he'd be allowed to compete on Sunday. As far as the seats go, I think there's a basic interpretation (that has been explained many times) that allowable seats include light-weight replacements as long as they are properly upholstered. George may be able to clarify this. As far as the intake goes, I couldn't say on this since I didn't look at Chip's car this past weekend other than to see him lay down some amazing passes. Sponsored car or not, everyone is expected to play by the rules and will be punished accordingly if they are found not to be in compliance (as was demonstrated at the Atlanta event).

------------------
Jeff Chambers
T/S #4
12.60 Seconds/109.0 MPH

Renegade Racer 05-05-1999 07:01 PM

Thought I would interject before any new rumors get worse than they are. CobrasVenom89 must have mistaken my car (although I don't know how). I have a ported Cobra intake on my car, as I always have in FFW competition. Also, my car has grey low rise GT stock seats. Mike Murillo's current outlaw car, a 90 Titanium GT, has Flofits or Recaros. I was torn down, was found completely legal, and don't take allegations of impropriety, even if unintentional lightly. Please try to verify your information before posting on the net.

Incidentally, Charles Callaway went 10.02@118, lifting due to not having an NHRA license. Seems the competition is right there with me.

Thanks, Chip Havemann

George Klass 05-06-1999 08:29 AM

Regarding Renegade front seats. If the seats are fully cushened (not plastic Pro Stock type) and have a hinge where the seat bottom and seat back meet, they are generall permitted.

CobrasVenom89 05-06-1999 10:03 AM

To Chip, Hey Im not trying to get you in trouble here. Im sorry if between the 3 cars Texas Jam (Black your Blue and the Titianum) had at the track I got an intake backwards. (call it sunstroke) No slander or bad feelings was intended . I was there all weekend and spent alot of time in the Texas Jam pits. Im a huge TJ fan and buy all my parts from Mikes Stores as well as going to any Event in Texas where yall are Racing at. I guess I got the 2 cars engines confused intake wise. and I talked to Mike and several Crew members and I know your car was torn down Saturday night so it had to be legal..It was more for my car I was asking I run the Holcomb Motorsports Custom Aluminum Nitrous\Blower intake and according to the rules this is not allowed at all, so If your car had been running the Vortech Powerbox that Mike's cars have I wanted to know why they like that intake but not the others in its class.. I use this site as the guide on the rules and wanted to clarify that this was infact the rules or not the rules. On the fact that you are way faster than the others, hehe quite being modest you driving that car under the Texas Jam flag is a force to be contested with.. you wernt given all those class winner flags you have on the side of that car..you earned them.

------------------
Texas Jam Prepped 89 LX 306ci Forged Flat top pistons ARP bolts, balanced,Blueprinted 65 289 heads Lunati Custom NOS grind cam Holcomb Aluminum intake 1.7 rockers NOS etc etc etc. ask if you want more see the car Fun Ford Houston