MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
fongo
Registered Member

Default water pump leak, faulty??

Hi everyone. I noticed shortly after putting a high performance alternator (96 A) on my 93 GT, I began to notice the car temperature gauge was above 220C (all the way up) just by runnign the car idle after a few minutes. After inspecting under the hood, i noticed a leak from the lower radiator hose (into the water pump). I checked the hose and it looks fine (make sure it was tight also). The radiator is clean and no leaks (haven't done a pressure test though hmm..). I've also replaced the thermostat (although it seemed fine). Also after I turn off the engine, I hear a 'boiling' sound coming from underneath the thermostat.
I need some guidance on finding out if I need to replace the water pump or not, or is it something else.
Thanks.
fongo
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: water pump leak, faulty??

There's a weep hole on the bottom of the water pump that will start leaking antifreeze when the pump is on it's way out, may have looked like it was coming from the lower radiator hose though. Also the boiling sound is probably air trapped in the system.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote