MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-29-2001, 05:56 PM   #1
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Red face Mysterious water leak

In my 89 GT i have to constantly fill the radiator up with water. Well not like it is really low but i just have to top it off everytime i stop if i have been crusin for awhile. Sometimes the check engine light will come on and i am at 180 then it will start to rise and i am sure to cut it off at 200. I just found out that i have no thermostat, so i am going to put either a 190 or 160 in it. My dad is kinda stubborn and won't let me get a new one. I used to have a bad cap but i have replaced it and still no avail. Also, we cannot find a D*** water drip anywhere.. help!
Super_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 06:18 PM   #2
Super_Stang
Registered Member

Also when i let my car sit there overnight it looses water also! strange... but where can it be going?
Old 07-29-2001, 07:16 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

With the right amount of coolant in the radiator, it won't necessarily always be all the way to the top.

If you don't have antifreeze, throw in a gallon of it. It'll make a leak easier to see. Check hoses and radiator for leaks. Check around the area where the hoses that go to heater core through firewall. Sometimes it's better to check for leaks after you've driven around for a while and the car is hot. Put in park while still running and check around for coolant leaking. (that's really about all you can do)

(Get a 180 thermo).

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 07:22 PM   #4
Capri306

Your dad won't let you get a new thermostat?!? OMG!!! Just imagine if you need new shocks or something! Plus the fact you had no T-stat in there to begin with is probably causing the check engine light. It's never going into closed loop operation. I'd recommend that you replace your plugs and O2 sensors immediately after you run some very high quality fuel system cleaner. Open loop operation on top of not warming up has most likely made HUGE carbon deposits inside the engine.

You should have a very obvious puddle under our car if you have to refill it every day like that as well. If nothing else you're not refilling it properly and you have a massive air bubble. DO NOT go with any lower than a 180* T-stat if you anticipate driving it on the street. Again the computer will not go into closed loop operation strategy, and you will rapidly accelerate the wear & deposits that have already hit the engine.

Quote:
i have to constantly fill the radiator up with water
I really hope you're not filling it with straight water, either. 50/50 water and NEW antifreeze are the way to go year 'round.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch

[This message has been edited by Capri306 (edited 07-29-2001).]
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
Super_Stang
Registered Member

HAHA no no no.. i can do that myself.. he won't let me get a new radiator.. i was thinking aluminum but he just wants to patch it up.. kinda like my tranny.. the syncros are almost shot and he wont even let me get a rebuilt one.. y? cause he knows i like to hotrod it.. but he can't be blame me cause he had a wicked a$$ 57 belair that he raced.. aahhh what is a kid to do!

DUH i am not that much of a novice.. i can do my own engine work and i certanly know 50/50... the thing is... there IS NO SPOT.. i dunno where all the water is going unless i got a head gasket messed up.. but again i have noticed no water from the pipes.. so CRAP!

[This message has been edited by Super_Stang (edited 07-30-2001).]
Old 07-30-2001, 09:53 AM   #6
LX5liter
dude5l

Have you done a pressure test?.If you're losing pressure you have a leak somewhere, possibly internal.

------------------
B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote