Thread: 1/4 Mile!
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
Nixon1
Registered Member

The rear end is next on my list, then the tranny. I can't afford the tranny at the moment, but when I do do it, I'm gonna get a TransGo shift kit in it, possibly get a thicker overdrive band but probably not, and get a manual valvebody and ratchet-style shifter assembly to top it off. With the 4.10 gears, by the time I cross the 1/4 mile like, I'm pushing very deep yellow on the tach in 3rd gear. Maybe 5800... But I can't engage overdrive obviously without letting off the pedal big time, and that would probably drop me a few mph at the end of the track because you can't hit overdrive at full pedal, even though the thing was barely pulling in those upper rpms in 3rd...it definitely needed another gear.

I'm going to downgrade the rear to 3.73 next and see what happens. My big problem though is the street tires. I feel I could've gotten a much better 60' than 2.188.

I didn't manually shift the tranny because
a)I'm afraid to blow this thing...let's just say it isn't acting brand new...
b)It FLIES through gears with the 4.10's, especially first, so I was afraid to try to manually control the first to second shift and be too distracted by the attempt for traction, etc. to shift it decent.
c)The car seems to do an ok job on its own...it hits just into the yellow on the tach before it hits 2nd gear every time, and 2nd to 3rd doesn't seem too early like most people complain about.

Current stats: NEW 302 short block, E-303 cam (@.050, 220/220, .498/.498, 110 degrees), 1.6 roller rockers, Performer RPM heads (aluminum, 1.9/1.6, 60cc chambers), Cobra intake, Granatelli 75mm MAF, Billet AFPR, Equal-Length Shorty Headers, Off-Road X Pipe, Flowmasters, 4.10 POSI

13.73 at 103.8, ~2.2 60'
Nixon1 is offline   Reply With Quote