Thread: 1/4 Mile!
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #13
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

I've heard the story from both sides in regards to the AOD shuffle. Just to be on the safe side, I only used it when racing (seems like a long time ago....).

A little advice about your AOD build-up: the absolute best mod (IMO) you can do for an AOD car is to get a looser torque converter. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2800-3000 rpm stall speed will make your vehicle much more fun to drive. And a good lock-up converter won't cost you gas on the highway (although in town, you will lose a couple of mpg). PI makes a nice one, and Lentech does as well. Pricey ($600-$700), but worth it.

As far as the remainder...a manual capable valve body will be a great addition to your package. Also makes it much more fun to drive. I'd HIGHLY recommend a Lentech Street Terminator valve body. It changes the shift patter from 1, 2/3, OD...to...1, 2, 3/electronic OD. You simply flip a toggle switch for overdrive. They fully calibrate their valve bodies to your specifications so that you won't need the Transgo shift kit. I have mine set up for mostly street and some track use (level three, I think...can't remember), and under WOT it shifts like God kicked it in the rear bumper from 1-2. 2-3 is more pleasant, but still quick and firm. During normal conditions, it shifts with excellent manners and won't knock your fillings out while just cruising. Also, the valve body is set up so that it shifts when you tell it to. No more guess work as to when your stock AOD is going to decide to shift gears. And it maintains fully automatic function if you leave it in the 3rd/electronic OD position. An absolute joy around town and at the track. Plus, you can retain the stock shifter if you like for a stock/sleeper look.

My 3.73's have sufficed for now, but I could use a looser converter myself (my tight 2800 isn't cutting the mustard with my power band).

Anyway, like I said, the best mod I did was a converter followed closely by the Lentech valve body.

If you can't afford to do them both at the same time, consider the converter first since that requires dropping the tranny to install. The valve body can be done from underneath and only requires removing the pan and old valve body and routing the wire for the OD switch. Pretty straight forward and can be done with tools most everyone has and a little mechanical inclination. (if you like, I can give some suggestions if you decide to do the valve body)

Good luck and give a hollar if you've got any questions.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote