MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Question 1996 Cobra vs 1986 Porshe 944

I was going back to car from Super D and I see the people I now hang out with over across the parking lot. I see a 1986 Porsche 944his was black and had what looked like 17 or 18 inch tires, fart can exhaust (sounded good for some reason), tint, and some REAL low profile tires. He revs and you could hear the turbo spool. That is such a cool sound, unless it comes from a diesel.
He takes off, I follow him to the big hill that exits on to Lakeland. I HATE that hill!!!!!!!!!!!!! You roll backwards REAL quick. He gets on and I get on right behind him. I edge up to his back bumper, where I see the "Turbo" emblem. Then it hit me. "Uh-oh, going up against a PORSCHE!!!!"
Screw it!!!
I drop it down into second going about 30 MPH, I would have gone for first but the car won't let me, wouldn't have been a good idea anyways. I hear him hit it. Expecting to get left behind, I was surprised to see I start to pass, as I hit third. We went up to about 80 MPH I would guess and I was able to get in front of him by about half a car. He pulls beside gives a wave and heads on.
Now the part that I got pissed about. Some guy in a Maxima( I think) goes by as I get in the turn lane revs his engine at me, flashes hazards, and flips me off. I takeoff after him. I get on his *** and rev. He slows down beside a Church bus and won't speed up. he even starts to SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a mile of him going 45 MPH in a 55 MPH I get in a turn lane and he waves, while his passenger flips me off. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate getting flybys and I hate people like that. I tried looking for specs on that Porsche, I think it is that Porsche, and I have found some wierd crap.

One place says 0-60 in 6.1
While the other says 0-60 in 5.4
That is one hell of a difference. Could the car I raced just have been sick, or is the first time right?
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:15 PM   #2
Rosco
Registered Member

1986 Porsche 944 8.9 16.6
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo 6.0 14.6

The turbo don't help at all

At least that's what I found on them...also with both STD tranny's. It's just a good thing you didn't race one of these
--->http://www.motorcities.com/articles/...che911GT2.html
although not released...i would be scared Oh...hehe...ever lined up next to a Viper at a light? I swear I kicked his *****...but then when he left the smoke from his burnout....ummm...yeah...that's a different story..hehe
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 02:20 AM   #3
Milktasd
Registered Member

Thumbs up actually

I have actually lined up with a 1992(I think) Viper. We only went to part of 2nd gear from a stop, but I was sitting on the back of his door. PLUS he got the jump on me. He was starting to pull, though. When I get my headers, I will go looking for him.

I found times like that, too. AND the one that says 5.4. I am happy regardless. I can say I beat a Porsche
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
Hyper92GT
slow like mud

Nice Kill. Those porshes are 4cly turbos, rated up to 250HP for the type S, I think the normal ones were around 230hp. The performance was about in line with 5l of the time and handling is very good. They made great porshe cup cars. Friend of mine had one, with the boost up it ran pretty good but did not have the torque of the 5l.
BTW that viper would have pulled you hard in 3rd gear, you will need a lot more than exhuast to run with one, but hey its all good.
cheers
Mike
Old 03-19-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Good Kill!