MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Blue Oval Lounge (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   04 Mach vs 03 Cobra (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=40806)

RBatson 12-29-2003 02:00 AM

04 Mach vs 03 Cobra

Well I had my first run in with a Cobra. We were leaving town loaded down with xmas gifts, my new wife and her lap dog. I had seen this Cobra vert before, I delivered to the guy for a few years and had seen him on the street with the new cobra a few times since I changed routes. I rolled down my window and got his attention and waved at him. He remembered me and we tried to talk for a bit.. I left it in 3rd@ around 40mph and gave it some gas and was passing him when he shifted to 2nd and showed me what owning a cobra was all about!! It was no joke!! That car walked me like well... it left my ***. We came up on the next light and I asked him "You shifted to 2nd?" and he said yeah. He said he had upgraded the exhaust, chip and blower pulley.. I couldn't hear much more than that over the 2 cars. Soo.. I didn't shift down to 2nd but it was more than evident to me that the new Cobra was no joke, no joke at all!! My wife kept teasing me about how he walked me and I told her if she kept on I'd be trading for a new Cobra.. Heeh!(So she backed off a bit) I know I said that the Mach was the best deal for the money and don't get me wrong, I love my new Mach but... I now wish I'd spent that extra $8k for the Cobra. WOW! I'm gonna keep the Mach but I just gotta go ahead and get new bearings and rings in the old 89 vert(with the blown 331) and hope I run into him again. I told her once I get that done I'd take her for a ride in a 'fast' car. Hmmm... maybe I should just sell both and get me a new Cobra:D

302 LX Eric 12-29-2003 09:15 AM

Don't feel too bad, those Cobra's are fast enough from the factory - but with a few mods like you listed, they can be wicked fast.

Maybe you should throw $8K in mods on the Mach 1 and then see what happens! :D

E

mustardjohn 12-29-2003 01:06 PM

Great idea! $8K of mods would be a lot more fun!

RBatson 12-29-2003 03:52 PM

Mods will be tempting but I'm gonna try to keep it down to mufflers and air filter. ;) (yeah right!)

andy669 12-30-2003 09:30 AM

When you change the blower pulley on those cars, you have to put a chip in it too otherwise it will run dangerously lean. He probably didnt mention that. :D I'll bet that car is around 440 at the wheels.

Andy

RBatson 12-30-2003 04:53 PM

Heeh. Yeah, he said he had a chip.. I know the guy, he wasn't trying to hide anything. Actually I need to give him a visit and check out his car since I don't deliver to him 3 days a week anymore.

girlystang 12-30-2003 07:53 PM

sorry for the lost

Cobras are the King of Cars and will win against most anything challenged

RBatson 12-30-2003 08:13 PM

Well, the Mach is probably faster than the 2001 Cobra. I know its alot faster than the 1997 vert I had. The 2003 is another story.:) Don't be sorry, I'm not... just a little surprised.

girlystang 12-30-2003 08:35 PM

I don't know why you were so surprise. The only thing I can tell you to do is buy a cobra and drop the mach. Then we will both be king of the streets. Then we will have to meet half way in the US and see which cobra is the King.

mustangII460 12-30-2003 10:29 PM

Just keep the Mach I . Build a Cobra :)

http://media.mustangworks.com/data/5...C-026S-med.JPG

mustangman65_79 12-31-2003 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mustangII460
Just keep the Mach I . Build a Cobra :)

http://media.mustangworks.com/data/5...C-026S-med.JPG

I think this is the king of Cobra's-lol

RBatson 12-31-2003 08:51 AM

WOW! Nice car! I checked your link... ummm.. that 427 is supercharged?! In a car that weighs about, what, 2200#s? WOW!

girlystang, my days of having something to prove are far and few between these days. I have an 89 lx vert that I had something to prove in, I love the car but now I just wish I'd left it stock and still had the $15k+ I put into it(I started to feel sick at 15k and quit adding).:) I'm gonna have one hell of a temptation to fight with this Mach tho..

digital3.3 12-31-2003 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mustangman65_79
I think this is the king of Cobra's-lol
yeh i gotta agree with that, such a sweet car.:D

andy669 12-31-2003 04:21 PM

Yep I agree with you guys too!

Rick, this chick kinda sounds like you used to in the old chat room.:D "wanna race?".... rofl.....

Andy

1995MGTS 01-01-2004 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by andy669
When you change the blower pulley on those cars, you have to put a chip in it too otherwise it will run dangerously lean. He probably didnt mention that. :D I'll bet that car is around 440 at the wheels.

Andy

Not always true. It depends on the pulley you change it too. I had a 3.2" pulley that was pretty decent on the air-fuel (12.5 down low to 11:1 up high). I don't run a chip but the Afterburner eFPC which allows me to fine tune my air-fuel. I defintinely needed some air-fuel tuning after putting on the Lightning pulley. Unfortunetly, by not messing with my timing curve (like a chip would), I'm leaving a lot of torque on the table.

RBatson 01-03-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by andy669

Rick, this chick kinda sounds like you used to in the old chat room.:D "wanna race?".... rofl.....

Andy

Hehehe.. those were some fun nights on the computer.:D I gotta go to the store.. time me! LOL!

Ty'97Cobra 01-05-2004 06:43 PM

you can put an eaton on your Mach... 5.0 did an article on it a few issues back....

or put a turbo on it....

RBatson 01-10-2004 04:27 PM

Which issue are you talking about? I missed it. I probably won't do it but it would be an interesting read. I'm still getting 5.0 but not MM&FF, I'll renew that at the spring break shootout if I make it this year.

Big Will 01-13-2004 10:43 AM

mach 1 and 03 Cobras, apples and oranges!

TARZAN 01-13-2004 02:29 PM

Man, it is VERY possible that you had a run in w/ an 11 second car.......

A few mods are simply amazing on the 03 Cobras!!!

-Will