MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-29-2002, 04:04 AM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Question 1996 Cobra vs 1999 Trans Am

If nobody remembers what I have done to my car: 3.73s, underdrives, subframes. I have never put, for some reason, that I have black "Cobra letters" in my back bumper and the Cobra grill emblem, must be good for at least 10 HP, right?
Anyways, I was about to turn into Hind's, still trying to wake up, when I see a silver 1999 Trans Am pull on to HWY 80. I said to myself,
Guess, I'll be alittle late to class."
I speed up to 40 MPH and wait for him. I look forward to make sure the way is clear and when I look in my rear view I see that the Trans Am is coming up quick. I try something different, I rev my engine before I drop it into second. I like it that way MUCH better.
By the end of second, he was even with me. I was wide awake now. I could hear is engine screaming with mine, it was beautiful. At the 6900K, I speed shifted into third and barked the tires. He was now just inching on me. Still keeping the accelerator pedal floored, I look ahead and see no traffic, wierd considering it is about 8:00. I speed shift into fourth and he has stop gaining on me and is just sitting on my front bumper. I kept going to about 120 MPH and let off, since I could see traffic ahead stopped at the light.
We ended up side by side at the light. I looked over and we each gave each other a nod. I was feeling pretty good. I had finally gone up against what was apparently a stock LS1.
I think if we had started side by side, I would have beat him. Or if we had started at stop. He had a head start.

I guess I am asking, should I be able to be this close with an LS1? Or is it that every chevy guy I know just overestimated them?

I have heard they can hit 13.2. I find that hard to beleive, maybe a mid 13. But then I thought I was only a 14 sec driver. People tell me now that I am a good driver.
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #2
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Good run... lot all the LS1's run 13.2's.... one of my friends just took his stock 99z28 to the track and his best was a 13.7@101 he ran a 14.1@101 his first run. His is an auto. I think you could run pretty close to those times with your mods....
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: