MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Talking 1996 Cobra vs 2001 Dakota RT

I was headed back to Hind’s for my second class at 11:00. I was early, so I decided to listen to Tool a little longer. I saw a guy I knew from Junior High. He rolls over in his black ’96 or ’97 Z28. He asks if I remember him. I said, “What did you do with your 3000 GT?” He had given it to his dad and gotten the Z28. Weird choice, but whatever. He asked if I was stock, I told him that I had 3.73s, underdrives, and subframes. I thought he asked if I wanted to run, but I think he said he had to run.
So I follow after thinking he wants to race, when he turns into the parking lot of the building by HWY 80. CRAP!!! No race. So now I am pissed, I overshot that turn, so now I have to cross HWY 80 and then turn back. Then I see a red 2001(I think) Dakota RT. This truck is beautiful. Ram air hood, slightly lowered, tinted, exhaust, and I found out Supercharged. The only thing I didn’t like was the Euro-lights.
I decided school could wait. I got onto HWY 80 and as I passed the RT I revved my engine at him. Now I have been trying to get this guy to race me for a while. Either he was pretty confident he could take me or he was just sick of me revving at him. So he comes up beside and revs. That is where I heard his SC. Heard a lot of air, but no whine, so it at least was not a belt driven SC. I jump behind him thinking he would finally race me. But now we are in traffic. He is going 60 MPH in the 45 MPH. I do the same, just staying behind him.
When we got to a light he jumped in the right lane at the last second and I was stuck in the left lane. With two cars in front of me and only one in front of him, I didn’t think I was going to be able to race him. The light turned green and he was able to squeeze past the lead car in the left lane. I looked in the rear view saw no cars coming in the right lane. I heard him take off so I kept my car in 1st and punched it. My car flew past the slow traffic as I tried to make up the 4 car start he had. I swerved back into left lane and started to catch up. I made it up to about 1 car length away when he started braking. Thinking that would be it, I was happy knowing that I could take him.
We pulled up to the next light with only a F150 in front of the Dakota. The truck must have known what we wanted to do because when the light turned green he got out of the way quickly. The Dakota punched it. I followed suit, by jumping into right lane. I heard the SC sucking in air as I barked into second right behind the Dakota. Apparently that truck has no top end because I was able to pull about 4 cars on him. I stopped at 100 MPH, so I could stop at the light ahead.
Now I was going to give a thumbs up when he passed but he just flew past me, revved, and then cut across the intersection and went towards 1-20. I am impressed that the truck held the ground.
I was surprised I was able to beat him, especially since he was SC. Must have been a small one. Don’t they run a low 15 stock?
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I smoke the R/T's at the track.....but I imagine a supercharged one would be pretty fast. maybe it wasnt an R/T.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Milktasd
Registered Member

Red face I think

I think you are right. People have been telling me that the functional ram air hood with the right intake sounds like a SC. I am going to ask him tomorrow if I can find him.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Yeah, if there was no whine you were probably just hearing his ram air. Also, every supercharger I've ever seen is belt driven.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
ricekilla
Registered Member

if that was a blown R/T you would of got your *** handed to you. last week at the track i saw a blown r/t run a 12.3 @ 1xx i raced the same truck on the freeway on the way to the track and we were dead heat until about 110 then i started pulling on him pretty good. it prob wasnt blown.
89 GT, 3.55's, longtubes, pro chamber, flowpath dumps, mac uppers and lowers+ pinion snubber, underdrive pullies, 70mm t-body, 190 lph penis pump, mildly home ported E7'S by the kid hisself, nitto drag radials..... 13.4 @ 106......... on nitto drag raidials. spinning like gangbusters......

chevy silverado w/ a full works suzuki RM 250 and a full works honda fourtrax 250R (girlfriends bike) in the back, moto x'in it up bro!
ricekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:28 PM   #6
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default just a question

does anyone know if this is the dodge answer to the lightning???
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:42 PM   #7
Mopar1
Registered Member

read some info on the dodge truck with the viper motor
'77 Aspen R/T: 318 w/273 heads, 4spd, Hurst Shifter, 600 holley, edelbrock intake, 8 3/4 axle, 3.23 sure-grip, dual 3" exhaust, MP cam 276 / 276 duration 490 / 490 mech solid lifter, Super Stock Springs
(15.65@88 3900lbs)

'91 Mustang LX: .030 Bored, Typhoon Intake, 4.10's, Lentech VB, BBK 70mm TB, FMS A/C elim bracket, 19lbs inject, off road H-pipe, 75mm pro-m MAF, FRP unequal shorty, stormin normin hood.

3420 Lbs w/ 220 (me) and 13 gal gas.

'02 SS Camaro
Mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 08:29 AM   #8
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Thumbs down that is the truck i was asking about

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar1
read some info on the dodge truck with the viper motor
yeah. t hat is what i been hearing, but i have yet to see one or anything like that. thanks for the help. you said alot.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
Milktasd
Registered Member

Default Theh dodge SRT 10

The basics:

0-60 in 5 seconds
.92 g skid-pad
When the Dodge V-10 was first introduced, there were two very different versions: the race engine, used on the Viper, and the torquer, used on the Ram. A V-10 powered Ram 2500 truck was, in truth, similar in feel to a 318-powered 1500, since it was meant for towing more than acceleration.

No more.

The newly augmented Viper V-10 will be used, intact, on the Ram SRT-10 when it is produced. With 500 horsepower and 500 lb-ft of torque, it is the fastest truck available. Created by the new Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO) team - Chrysler's version of SVO and AMG - the truck used Viper and Prowler engineers along with the teams responsible for NASCAR vehicles and Le Mans Vipers. The new Viper-powered Dodge Ram SRT-10 show truck. A production version of this show truck will appear at a later date.
Just as the all-new 2002 Dodge Ram - and the previous generation Ram introduced in 1994--added a much needed dose of style to the full-size pickup truck market, the Ram SRT-10 brings a massive dose of Viper power with a class-demolishing 500 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque.
Filling the engine-bay of the Ram SRT10 is the largest engine in a factory pickup truck--the 8.3-liter V-10 that powers America's ultimate sports car, the all-new 2003 Dodge Viper. The V-10's horsepower rating easily surpasses any other pickup--not to mention virtually every production sports car on the road.

The Dodge Ram SRT-10's power is channeled through a Viper six-speed manual transmission that connects to a modified differential and new driveshaft. The Ram SRT-10 will accelerate to sixty mph in an estimated 5.0 seconds and deliver an estimated top speed of 150 mph. More impressively, Ram SRT-10 runs the 0-100-0 mph dash in an estimated 18 seconds. (These figures beat nearly every vehicle made in the US, going back as far as you care to look. As a comparison, the Spirit R/T ran 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, and was the fastest four-door car made in the world during its time. The turbocharged, 205 horsepower Neon SRT-4 runs 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.)

Keeping all this power in check is a modified rack and pinion steering and independent front suspension from the 2002 Dodge Ram, which set new handling standards for full-size pickups. Blessed with the stiffest frame in Ram history, the Ram SRT-10 makes the most of its exclusive 24-inch wheels and 305/35 R24 high-performance tires, pulling an estimated 0.92 g's on the skid pad and hitting almost 70 mph on the slalom. A recalibrated, quick-ratio power steering unit enhances steering feel.

The Ram SRT-10's handling is enhanced by the addition of performance-tuned springs and shocks, a rear sway bar and an inch-lower ride height. Bringing the Ram SRT-10 to a halt are four-wheel disc Viper brakes, equipped with standard ABS. Fascia-mounted, faired-in brake ducts aid cooling.

The exterior appearance of the Dodge Ram SRT-10 imparts an almost sinister demeanor with a design that blends the bold, "big-rig" look of the 2002 Dodge Ram with performance styling cues that hint at the extra muscle behind its signature cross-hair grille. It's understated "muscle truck" exterior sends a quiet yet unmistakable message that the Ram SRT-10 owns the fast lane.

Available in black or red only, the crisp lines of the Dodge Ram SRT-10 provide a look of machined elegance with a lower -- and an even bolder -- stance than the standard Ram. The new front fascia, hood with integrated air intake, billet grille, one-inch lower ride height and ground-effect moldings provide plenty of "hunkered down" attitude even before the ignition key is turned. From the side, Ram SRT-10 is distinguished by an aluminum fuel filler, SRT-10 badging and red Viper brake calipers visible behind the 24-inch wheels. A bed-mounted hard tonneau, spoiler and custom rear fascia with cutouts for dual exhausts provide the view for the majority of the motoring public.

Inside, red-piped leather and carbon fiber-look accents complement the performance attitude established by the SRT-10's outward appearance. Silver-faced gauges with Viper font and graphics have an appropriately recalibrated speedometer and tachometer to accommodate the SRT-10's visceral performance. Interior space is maintained from the standard Ram.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:40 PM   #10
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Thumbs up thanks for the info!!!

thanks for the heads up. you answered just about every question i had. that truck sounds real mean. i guess we will all see sooner or later.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:02 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

So what kind of "badging" will these Dakotas have? SRT? We won't want to pick on any ordinary Dakotas when these fast ones are on the street.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:46 AM   #12
Milktasd
Registered Member

Default I wouldn't

I wouldn't worry about seeing too many of those trucks. They will be very expensive. But just imagine a BIG dodge ram with a big tires that say SRT-10.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:24 AM   #13
7up
Registered Member

24 inch wheels? holy crap. Anyone have a guess on the price tag?
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:01 AM   #14
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blwnvert
24 inch wheels? holy crap. Anyone have a guess on the price tag?
My guess is that this thing will cost a small fortune.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:12 AM   #15
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Question potential problem

you know how the viper has a ton of power and torque. well, the problem with vipers, in my humble opinion, is that they cant put all that power on the ground. well, putting all that power into a pickup with all the weight in the front. how do they plan on putting it on the ground? SLICKS??? yeah, that is good on the track, but you cant run them on the street. will they drive around burning out everytime they try to get on it from lack of weight in the back and lack of traction on those 24-in tires???
Old 04-08-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
Milktasd
Registered Member

Wink that's right

That's right 24in. I hate to be the tire guy who had to work with those. Going to be expensive to replace too.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:32 AM   #17
daseansta
Registered Member

I have a Dakota R/T, and run low 14s w/basic bolt-ons(see my sig). My K&N intake is pretty loud when I get on it, I've had people ask my if I had a turbo before, heheh.

An R/T w/an s/c, if running properly, tuned right, should run atleast mid to low 13s at 100+. Of course driver, track conditions, traction, altitude ect will cause varied results. But a s/c'ed R/T Should be able to atleast hang w/96 Cobra.
Sean 99 Dakota R/T ib rc,F&B 50mm TB,K&N gen.II,Gibson headers,180 thermo,3923s,Nitto 275/50/17s,Lakewood trac. bars(custom fit for R/Ts),(V)opar PCM,ASP pulleys,Perma-cool elec. fan,more to come...14.35 @ 94.55
daseansta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
one
Registered Member

Default SRT

The new SRT is said to have an MSRP of around 25 grand. There will probably be a dealer mark up for awhile so they will be closer to 35. But still, new lightining 32, new RTS 35. Don't have to do anything to the dodge to get 500 hp, have to do alot to the lightining to get it to 500. The Dodge has no super charger and a 6 speed. Dodge is also coming out with a 200 + powered neon to through into the 4 banger mix which will bring the american cars to the top with no problem now that the focus is the best selling car in the world. Looks like we are going to start seeing some shootouts with the Ford and Dodge trucks which should be good. But you know the Fords have the market on the after market goodies for the lightining. Just better help you are bring some power if you try to play with a dodge with 24 inch wheels and a viper hood, looks kind of like the old ram ss I think it was called but with the new body style. Nice looking truck though.

One

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: