MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2002, 02:52 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Talking 1996 Cobra vs 2001 Dakota RT

I was headed back to Hind’s for my second class at 11:00. I was early, so I decided to listen to Tool a little longer. I saw a guy I knew from Junior High. He rolls over in his black ’96 or ’97 Z28. He asks if I remember him. I said, “What did you do with your 3000 GT?” He had given it to his dad and gotten the Z28. Weird choice, but whatever. He asked if I was stock, I told him that I had 3.73s, underdrives, and subframes. I thought he asked if I wanted to run, but I think he said he had to run.
So I follow after thinking he wants to race, when he turns into the parking lot of the building by HWY 80. CRAP!!! No race. So now I am pissed, I overshot that turn, so now I have to cross HWY 80 and then turn back. Then I see a red 2001(I think) Dakota RT. This truck is beautiful. Ram air hood, slightly lowered, tinted, exhaust, and I found out Supercharged. The only thing I didn’t like was the Euro-lights.
I decided school could wait. I got onto HWY 80 and as I passed the RT I revved my engine at him. Now I have been trying to get this guy to race me for a while. Either he was pretty confident he could take me or he was just sick of me revving at him. So he comes up beside and revs. That is where I heard his SC. Heard a lot of air, but no whine, so it at least was not a belt driven SC. I jump behind him thinking he would finally race me. But now we are in traffic. He is going 60 MPH in the 45 MPH. I do the same, just staying behind him.
When we got to a light he jumped in the right lane at the last second and I was stuck in the left lane. With two cars in front of me and only one in front of him, I didn’t think I was going to be able to race him. The light turned green and he was able to squeeze past the lead car in the left lane. I looked in the rear view saw no cars coming in the right lane. I heard him take off so I kept my car in 1st and punched it. My car flew past the slow traffic as I tried to make up the 4 car start he had. I swerved back into left lane and started to catch up. I made it up to about 1 car length away when he started braking. Thinking that would be it, I was happy knowing that I could take him.
We pulled up to the next light with only a F150 in front of the Dakota. The truck must have known what we wanted to do because when the light turned green he got out of the way quickly. The Dakota punched it. I followed suit, by jumping into right lane. I heard the SC sucking in air as I barked into second right behind the Dakota. Apparently that truck has no top end because I was able to pull about 4 cars on him. I stopped at 100 MPH, so I could stop at the light ahead.
Now I was going to give a thumbs up when he passed but he just flew past me, revved, and then cut across the intersection and went towards 1-20. I am impressed that the truck held the ground.
I was surprised I was able to beat him, especially since he was SC. Must have been a small one. Don’t they run a low 15 stock?
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote