MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2002, 04:41 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Unhappy 1996 Cobra vs 2001 Trans Am

This is a story I have posted at other places, I will be posting some of the others here as well, so...here is the story.

I drive a 1996 Cobra with , underdrives, 3.73, subframe connectors, and flow masters. My friend and I were driving on HWY 80 as we usually do, when we are bored. This is about the only place that I know of that people will race. Unfortunately, it is usually only other mustangs.
Well, we had been driving for around an hour at 50 MPH with basically nothing happening. Saw a few imports that were suped up on the outside,only, and some 4 cyclinder mustangs that were the same. They didn't want to play. As I decide to call it a night or morning. It was late. I see some Firebird/Trans Am taillights ahead of me. So I speed up to see if it is a v6 or v8. Most are v6 around here. I tell my friend to get the camera that I carry for just such occasion. He says no, probably a six. The second I see that siilver spoiler that signifies a Trans Am, I yell "Hell Yeah"And an echo of the same from my friend. Maybe this will be the Trans Am that will finally race me. I pull up until my back bumper is next to his front and rev the good ol' DOHC. He just sits there so I start to say Goddammit but only get to say GOD, when I see the front end of his car lift up alittle in my side mirror that means its on. It took a second for it register that I will finally race a V8 GM so I didn't start until his back bumper was next to my front. I drop into third and I slowly start to catch up. I get up to his front tire, in fourth around 100, when he slows down so as not to ram the car that just pulled in front of him. So I slow down, so we can try it again. My friend was saying, "Well now you know you can take a new Trans Am" There was a third gen z28 in the lane next to us so I slow down to box in the Trans Am. Now before anybody gets upset let me tell you I was trying to help the guy in the Trans Am. We were coming to a hill that, in less than five minutes ago, had a cop nesting in its valley. I didn't want the guy to get a ticket trying to race me. When we crest the hill I see that the cop was gone, so I speed up and pass the z28 and the Trans Am pulls up beside me so that we are neck and neck. We are both doing about 60 and then he drops into 2nd. I do the same. I get some wheel spin because I don't drop into 2nd that often with only racing other fords most of the time. As I pop it into 3rd and bark the tires, he is steadily pulling away from me. I put it into 4th and he still pulls ahead of me. At about 1 1/2 or 2 car lenghts he stops. I don't know if the first time he was toying with me or if maybe(fingers crossed) that he just sprayed on the second run. I wave that it was all in good fun and he does the same. And I just sit by his left rear fender letting him know that I recongize he won. And I just sat there admiring his car. Damn that silver Trans Am was pretty. Originally that was what I wanted but the parents said too much. And a day later I found a my car for sale with 28K miles for 15K. So I bought it. I prefer my sound and rarity but goddamn if those Trans Ams and especially the Ram Air Trans Ams aren't beautiful. I was hoping maybe, just maybe, that with my few mods that I at least would be able to stay side by side with Trans Am on the roll. But maybe I was wrong. I know that I can't make up the 50 torque difference with what I got. But maybe the hp? I wish I could have talked to the guy to find out what, if anything, that he had done to his car, but he wouldn't pull over so I called it a night.
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Mach351C
Registered Member

do you think the trans am had any mod's at all?
Mach351C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Milktasd
Registered Member

Question Don't know

I think so, considering how bad he beat me. All the other Gm guys had been modified and they beat me only slightly worse than he did. Either he can drive his car to its max or he did a few mods and toyed with me.
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote