MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1996 Cobra vs 2001 Z06 (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=21400)

Milktasd 03-29-2002 04:06 AM

1996 Cobra vs 2001 Z06

Well I was on the way to my Microbiology class, when at the light on to HWY 80, I see the Z06 I have “raced”(LOL) before was ahead of me. So I decided to try him again. I had to wait a few miles for traffic to clear, but then I started to slow down and the Z06 moved over to the right lane and did the same. When I got to 40 MPH( I love that speed), I dropped into second. I went as fast as my car could possibly go and he just sat there.
The light ahead turned red, so I slowed down. Next thing I know the Z06 is right behind and revving his engine. I think I might have messed myself, when he did that. When the light turned green, the car in front of me was going SLOW, so I jumped into the right lane and had just enough room to squeeze between the slow truck and a station wagon and get back in the left lane which had no other cars except for the previously mentioned slow truck.
When I was through I gave it everything I had, which was starting me off at about 20 MPH in first. I looked in my rear view and the Z06 was ON MY ***!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just stayed in the left lane, doing my best to squeeze every little bit of power out of all 281 cubic inches. But to no avail, the Z06 was happy to just sit on my *** all the way to 120 MPH. I started to slow down and he just sat behind me.
I got to the next light and I was the first in line with the Z06 behind me. Revving at me. It hurt, it was so pretty. The light turned green and I got a little wheel hop in first as I took off. The Z06 decided it was time to actually push the pedal on the right ALL the way down. He zipped around me as I speed shifted into second. I swear that car had a jet engine on it. He just showed me what 2 seconds difference in the quarter mile meant. I kept going until about 100 MPH and I don’t know how many car lengths ahead of me he was. I will never get tired of trying to race that guy. I am going to keep racing him, until he won’t race me.

Nitrous Al 03-29-2002 08:42 AM

Find him again and ask him for another race.

Ackbar00 03-29-2002 09:25 AM

Buy a TDC kit, then you will give him all he can handle.

Milktasd 03-29-2002 08:15 PM

HAH

Loan me the 5-7K for it, I'll put it in. I plan on saving every penny I have to buy a Fox body LX and make 500-600HP with it. Then I'll go looking for him.

StoplightWarrior 03-30-2002 02:48 AM

Here's the plan:

1. Slap on a Blower/Intercooler

2. Run 12lbs boost

3. Get some Drag radials

4. Kick his butt

Good luck!!

Milktasd 03-30-2002 04:28 PM

Yep

That is what I plan on doing. 12-15 PSI supercharger with intercooler, tires(rims), heads, everything I can think of. I plan on kicking a whole lot of butt.

1969Mach1 03-30-2002 06:28 PM

lol Sounds like a whole lotta fun, I love those Vettes. Wish I could take one of those Z06's out for a day. I'm hoping to take my dad's '73 Vette out for Prom. I think I should start kissing *** and begging now. :D I want to take my car but it somewhat needs a paint job. Hmm... I'll just drive really quick so people can't notice the flaws. :D

Milktasd 03-30-2002 06:38 PM

nice

You have the best looking Mustang ever built in my opinion. My friend's was painted red with one bid stripe down the middle. Paint it that color. I LOVE that car. I would say screw the vette and take the Mach.

vtec8ter 04-16-2002 05:45 AM

might wanna add gears

if you wanna kick a whole lot of but on the street and the strip... maybe you should think about getting 4:10's, and running on E.T. Streets.... hehehe.... those are my little secret, and street legal.

Coupe5oh 04-16-2002 07:13 AM

Yea vtec8 i agree, although that vette will catch up quickly,

I dont have the gear, but with e.t. streets, and a 4500 launch I had many ls1, and SS's working hard to chasin me down :cool:

vtec8ter 04-16-2002 11:19 AM

N2O maybe

did you ever think about getting a little bang for your buck and getting out of the hole alot faster? why not N20? mustangs hook up better than vettes, and if you sprayed him when he started to catch up or pull away it might keep the race interesting.... and then on other cars, a little extra insurance never hurt. and for ricers... an extra i dont know 10 car lengths should make them think twice before reving their motor at my cobra:D :D :D

red82gt 04-16-2002 03:47 PM

Spray it!

Cobras respond well to the spray, I don't know why more cobra owners don't do it...

My friend (he recently died from his cystic fibrosis :( ) had a vorteched '97 Cobra and judging by the beating we put on a C5 vette, I don't think a ZO6 would be much of a challenge.

vtec8ter 04-16-2002 04:22 PM

red-
what year vette?

red82gt 04-17-2002 09:37 PM

It was a C5 so it would have been 97 or newer.
BTW, Kevin's car put out 417rwhp so it definitely had the oats to get it done.

vtec8ter 04-18-2002 08:16 AM

how much boost was it running?

that is really good, but that is blown right? i still dont know about spanking the new vette. that is the only reason i asked. they are FAST. and on a top end run, it's over... they are way too light. with my mods, i think i would be a good race between me and the new ZO6, but i think i would pull him. and oh i would spray the 200 shot... hehehe... anyways. nice kill. sorry about your friend. did you offer to take the car? no disrepect to his family or his memory of course

red82gt 04-18-2002 06:43 PM

9lbs of boost

He had a C&L mass air, 36lb injectors and that was it.

From what I've seen, the 97-00 vettes make 280-295rwhp and the 01+'s make right about 300, the 385hp ZO6 makes about 335hp, that's a serious deficit to 417rwhp, at the top end the weight no longer rules, horsepower does.

Oh yeah, my friends dad hasn't decided what to do with the car but I hope he keeps it and builds it up the way Kevin wanted it, hopefully he will.