MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-02-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Cool 1996 Cobra vs 1995 GT and an Eclipse

To start off, I found out that the 5.0 Mustang GT that wanted to race me was not spraying. So I knew I could beat him, he (actually his sister’s car) was closer to stock than my car. My 1996 Cobra only having 3.73, underdrives, subframes, and the all powerful K&N filter. The 5.0 only had an offroad h-pipe and Warlock mufflers. In case nobody remembers about this guy, he says his 1995 GT is faster than my car from the factory. But since I only had $2 I couldn’t make it to the strip. But while in the middle of watching “Snatch” I hear a 5.0 go down the road.
“BNS 50” my friend says, which is the license plate of the 5.0. So I hesitated for a second, then I was running out the door, with one of my friends in tow. I jump in my car and head after him. “Let’s see if he will race for free.” I see him up head getting ready to turn on to HWY 80. I speed as much as I can through the neighborhood, considering how many bumps are in the road.
By the time I get onto HWY 80, I am, about 8 cars behind him. So I give all I got to get beside him. As I turn onto to 80, I notice a white Eclipse with rims, but didn’t think about him since I never have an import want to race me. I get up beside him and see it is “BNS 5.0” so I rev and then drop into third at 60 MPH. I bark the tires (I love having tires that aren’t dry-rotted) and pass him. Now it looked like he tried to keep up, but I picked up A LOT of distance quick. Now I have never ran a stock 5.0 on top end. Is this what it would look like? I pulled a lot of cars just in 3rd, about five, then he dropped back real quick. At the time I was thinking DAMN, he didn’t race, then the light up ahead turns yellow.
“There is a GOD” my passenger says. I would have laughed if I wasn’t so preoccupied about the 5.0. They pull up beside me and rev the engine. I see a guy in the passenger seat laughing. I rev my engine, the light on the other side turns red. GREEN!!!!!!!! I hit it. I didn’t get any wheel spin. I bark the tires into 2nd and my passenger says “They aren’t racing” That pissed me off so I kept going until I hit 100 MPH, then I let off.
I was happy, not as happy if he had actually raced from a stop, but now he can’t talk **** anymore. Then I see lights coming up behind me. Not a GT but an Eclipse. He pulls up beside me and revs the engine. And I heard a turbo. He revved a few more times and the bypass valve was causing me to hear the air more than the engine(not really).
SO since we had slowed down to about 40 MPH, I revved and then dropped into 2nd. The Eclipse must have been sitting in 2nd because as soon as I hit it, he hit it right after me. In second I pulled a few inches, LITERALLY. I speed shift into 3rd and I might have gained a little and he stayed right there up until about 120 MPH, which is where we both stopped. I pull into his lane to turn around, all happy since I beat something with a turbo. I get into the turn lane and the guy follows.
OK, I pull onto the other side of 80 and sit there. He pulls beside me and revs the engine a few times, I do the same and then I hit it. If anything I did better than the first takeoff before. And of course he didn’t race me. So I slow down and wait for him, but unfortunately that launch used up all of my luck. Now, my adrenaline had kicked in. Pushing in the clutch pedal was like pushing in air. My knees were shaking. This didn’t bold well for a takeoff. He pulls up and I wait for him to start. You could really hear that turbo spool. He drops the clutch and takes off PERFECTLY. And I **** up about as bad as possible. I peel out or maybe burnout is the better term until about 50 MPH in 2nd gear. Then I start gaining. I pulled in maybe a car then he hits his brakes. So I stop again with him. I roll down the window and say “Are you ready?” “Yeah” “Whenever” He takeoffs perfectly AGAIN!!!!!! And I burnout AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was pretty much the same as before. I gained maybe a car and a half. Then he turns around. I am sure if I hadn’t been all pumped up I could have taken him since I probably had more torque, but woulda, coulda, shoulda. I won the first and he won the other two. I will settle for that.
I am just happy, I got it all on tape. My first race with a REAL import was a win. I am pretty happy.
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 03:54 PM   #2
Milktasd
Registered Member

Talking Eclipse

The eclipse was the body style before the current one. Did those come with turbos, how fast are they if they are. I want to know if his was sick or whatever.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:03 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

He probably had one of thoss ALL WHEEL DRIVE with a turbo model which would explain why he was able to launch perfect.
Yes, the turbo eclipse's are pretty quick in stock form. You have to be careful of them if you only have minor mods.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 06:07 PM   #4
cilvrwing
Registered Member

2000 and up eclipse are non turbo...gt = v6 205 hp
gs= 150 hp....i think...and they dont come with 4wd, only '99 down and its called gsx...
Old 02-02-2002, 06:14 PM   #5
Milktasd
Registered Member

Exclamation The car. Tell me

This is what it looked like with different rims. Just checked the vid. This is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp-gsx08.jpg (10.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-02-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
cilvrwing
Registered Member

ohhh that the 2nd gen. ecipse....if it was turbo then its 210hp stock...gst fwd...gsx4wd
Old 02-02-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
Milktasd
Registered Member

Default HMMM

That would explain why he was so good on the takeoff. I wished he had taken off when I did the first time. It would have been nice to see how well I would have stood up. How fast is that car stock in the qmile, o-60. Or any other specs. Did the power change in any year but have the same body style. I know nothing about this car. Can you tell?
Old 02-02-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The turbo Eclipse is a tick or two behind the 5.0's stock for stock. Sounds like he had some serious hp added to hang with you to 120.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 06:49 PM   #9
Milktasd
Registered Member

Wink thanks

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to meet this guy again and ask him what he did to his car and to race him without alot of adrenaline. Maybe I won't burnout next time.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:45 PM   #10
cilvrwing
Registered Member

turbo eclipse are running mid to low 15's...they're easy to mod i tell u that
Old 02-04-2002, 03:02 PM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302
The turbo Eclipse is a tick or two behind the 5.0's stock for stock. Sounds like he had some serious hp added to hang with you to 120.
Mods to beat a basically stock 96 Cobra in a 2nd gen GSX: exhaust, intercooler hard pipe kit, filter and boost controller. That equals massacre from a stop but from a roll, awd eats up a lot of hp and the Cobra would have the advantage.