MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2002, 04:39 PM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Default 1st kill with blown 00GT (vs older turbo supra)

Had first kill last night with new Vortech. I was cruising on the freeway about 80 and passed by an older bodystyle Supra, he had a fart can and was lowered so I slowed to see if he wanted some. He pulled up next to me, now going about 50 and punched it, I heard a turbo spool then I drowned it out with my blower and off road H. I pulled him by 7-8 car lengths up to 120 then shut down, then I let him get in front of me and he tried to lose me, I stayed right on his bumper and flashed my brights at him to pass and he changed lanes as I blew by him (he was still floored, I could hear the turbo). I was impressed that he was as fast as he was, although he was probably even more surprised that a stock looking GT spanked him (He would have NO problem with a stock GT) . What are common mods and power output for these cars? I wonder what he had to have to stay as close as he did (of course this was a high speed start, I would think the best scenario for him). My wild guess is about 320-350 hp for this guy. After my chip is programmed optimally (should get near 400 hp) I will have more fun taunting him! My car must be a sleeper because about 5 min later some dude in a chevy pickup pulled next to me and was revving and taunting! I almost didnt respond, but you know.......
Black 2000 GT, Vortech SQ trim, 38 lb inj, 80mm Pro-m MAF, MAC prochamber offroad-H, 2 chamber flows, 4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Tokico Illumina 5way front shocks, Steeda sport springs, FMS alum D/S, Nitto 555R's, B&M ripper shifter, Autometer boost and fuel press. gauges: 1st dyno run (final chip not burned yet- pig rich): 364.3 RWHP, 352 RWTQ
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I don't know as much about the older supras, but I think they only had like 220hp stock. If you up the boost though, which is easy to do, and make some intake and exhaust modifications, you can make a lot of power. Inferno should chime in on this one, he knows more about the supras.

Good kill.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
bark3rd
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply warrior. Where can I buy seat belt fluid? Your mods are awesome! LOL-it does get really old reading everyone's run o the mill mod sigs, even blown mod sigs are boring now. (The even funnier part of this is I still have this irrational fear in the back of my mind that somehow your mod sig is real and I'm just clueless making an *** out of myself!) Are you a spray freak or blown? I used to have nitrous, ( wish i would have listened to Mustang92 a year ago when he said I would go BOOM!) About the supra, my car puts out almost 70 more rwhp than a stock SS camaro (oh boy here come the flames) and its not like I left him behind like a hyundai. I think he has more than stock boost. I'm pretty sure I heard a loud blow-off valve dumping too when he shifted. Anyway, I need another kill this one is getting old already.

later
Black 2000 GT, Vortech SQ trim, 38 lb inj, 80mm Pro-m MAF, MAC prochamber offroad-H, 2 chamber flows, 4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Tokico Illumina 5way front shocks, Steeda sport springs, FMS alum D/S, Nitto 555R's, B&M ripper shifter, Autometer boost and fuel press. gauges: 1st dyno run (final chip not burned yet- pig rich): 364.3 RWHP, 352 RWTQ
Old 03-01-2002, 04:41 AM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Ive got every bolt on but headers on my 00 GT, including some 4.10 gears. I think next though, I'm gonna scrap the 4.10's for the stock 3.27's and then put the V2-SQ in. How do you like your blower? Is it everything you'd hoped for and more? Any problems or annoyances with it? Take it easy.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
Old 03-01-2002, 11:00 AM   #5
bark3rd
Registered Member

pa Ok, with every bolt on and high performance stickers 12.3's @ 111? With an auto? I am assuming that joke is on me too! (You are kidding aren't you?) Life with the blower has been good, I am constantly amazed by the awesome power it puts out now. I am going through the usual pita of fine tuning and chip-tweaking but with JMS at the controls I'm sure the final result will be impressive. Right now I've got an annoying surging idle and check engine lights. Driving the car around town takes a bit more concentration but it is very docile when the boost gauge is kept in the vacum range. It's weird, what used to be 3/4 throttle power is now reached with about 1/4 throttle. The car spins my Nittos like they are not even there, I am probably not optimally geared for the blower with my 4:10's (3:73's would be alot easier to deal with). The way I feel now while driving the car reminds me of when I used to race motocross and I traded a RM125 for a new 250-the 250 scared the crap out of me while I got used to it. After a week of riding I already wanted more power! The clutch is getting weaker every day, one pass with slicks and it will be history-Ill probably change it out before I run slicks. Bottom line in my opinion: the blower is better and more fun than the nitrous by several orders of magnitude especially for cars like ours. I really can only see people wanting nitrous because they can't afford blowers, in that case fine. In my case, I spent far more on the nitrous and fixing all the stuff it broke than if i would have bought a blower in the first place. Some people would say: blah blah blah he didnt know what he was doing and blew blah blah nitous is safe blah blah but you ask any experienced nitrous user how many engines they have blown and see what they say! If you have a 1970 camaro with a forged 350 get nitrous, otherwise take advantage of the technology that is now available for our cars and get a blower. I searched for one week and found a Vortech kit new in the box for $2600 from some guy who wrecked his car before it was installed.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:07 PM   #6
silverv6
Registered Member

My friend has a 88 turbo supra he told me it has 283HP
So that guy you race must of had some thing else also.

Hey man I bet that supercharged GT feels nice

I can wait till the end of the year wen I trade my 00 v6 for a 00 5speed GT

Laters

Keep somoking them Ricers

2" drop
18"spoked rims and lowprofile high performance tires
GT fog lights
Euro tail lights
K&N filter<<<<cut filter box out
silverv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:02 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bark3rd
pa Ok, with every bolt on and high performance stickers 12.3's @ 111? With an auto? I am assuming that joke is on me too! (You are kidding aren't you?) Life with the blower has been good, I am constantly amazed by the awesome power it puts out now. I am going through the usual pita of fine tuning and chip-tweaking but with JMS at the controls I'm sure the final result will be impressive. Right now I've got an annoying surging idle and check engine lights. Driving the car around town takes a bit more concentration but it is very docile when the boost gauge is kept in the vacum range. It's weird, what used to be 3/4 throttle power is now reached with about 1/4 throttle. The car spins my Nittos like they are not even there, I am probably not optimally geared for the blower with my 4:10's (3:73's would be alot easier to deal with). The way I feel now while driving the car reminds me of when I used to race motocross and I traded a RM125 for a new 250-the 250 scared the crap out of me while I got used to it. After a week of riding I already wanted more power! The clutch is getting weaker every day, one pass with slicks and it will be history-Ill probably change it out before I run slicks. Bottom line in my opinion: the blower is better and more fun than the nitrous by several orders of magnitude especially for cars like ours. I really can only see people wanting nitrous because they can't afford blowers, in that case fine. In my case, I spent far more on the nitrous and fixing all the stuff it broke than if i would have bought a blower in the first place. Some people would say: blah blah blah he didnt know what he was doing and blew blah blah nitous is safe blah blah but you ask any experienced nitrous user how many engines they have blown and see what they say! If you have a 1970 camaro with a forged 350 get nitrous, otherwise take advantage of the technology that is now available for our cars and get a blower. I searched for one week and found a Vortech kit new in the box for $2600 from some guy who wrecked his car before it was installed.
Yeah, the entire sig is made up. No way I'd be at 12.3 NA! I ran a 14.4@97 with the xpipe in, before the other stuff. I figure I'm high 13's at the moment. Sounds like the blower is a lot of fun. Thanks for the info. At the moment, I'm really trying to decide between keeping my car and supercharging it, or just getting a cobra and going NA with some steep gears.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
bark3rd
Registered Member

silver 6: when you sell your 6 banger take my advice: Instead of buying a new or used stock 00 Gt, find a nicely modified one and buy it instead. I bought my car before I knew diddly about Mustangs, I kick myself in the *** every time i look through the auto trader and see 100's of low mile mustangs with every expensive mod imaginable selling for at or near the price of stock ones! You can even find cars with wheels and body kits too. You just cant get back out what you put in them and trust me...in about 3 days you will be ready to start the mods. Just my 2 cents. the other day I saw a 00 GT with a vortech, 18" chrome wheels, exhaust, full suspension mods, gauges, hot stereo, AND a Saleen body kit, putting over 400 hp to the wheels with 12k miles for $ 22000. Try that at Joe Blow Ford!
Old 03-01-2002, 07:34 PM   #9
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silverv6
[B]My friend has a 88 turbo supra he told me it has 283HP
So that guy you race must of had some thing else also.

Hey man I bet that supercharged GT feels nice

Your friend's car is not stock. Stock I think they had 230 hp turbocharged and 200 hp N/A. Against a blown GT, it would be a 10-20 car beating. They run nothing like the last Gen Supra TTs. Also the turbo in that Supra is tiny. Even turned up, I doubt they would get out of the 13s with the original turbo.
DTA Built Engine w/P&P heads, TDC Turbo (T-76), Built 4R70W, PI Multi-Disc 3200 T/C, Eaton 31 Spline Carrier, Strange 31 Spline Axles, Aeromotive 1000 HP fuel system, 66lb injectors, MSD DIS4, Accel DFI Gen VII & Mac 3" cat-back.
Built by Jade Performance
Best on Nitto D/Rs
11.698 @ 120.898 @ 12 psi (built block)
Best on Slicks
10.922 @ 122.95 (stock longblock)
Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #10
bark3rd
Registered Member

Turbo 99: I am honored to receive a reply from a celebrity! Your car is awesome, I saw the article. I just took my car on its first roadtrip with the blower, drove from Austin to Texarcana and back. A big part of the trip was on lonely, long, straight country roads, I must have averaged 110 on the trip! I love Texas, I felt like somokey and the bandit. My new $400 passport radar detector saved me 5 times with huge margin of warning-sometimes more than 2 miles would go by after the thing went off, then I'd see the cop-I highly reccommend investing in a good radar detector. At 120 the car is coasting at about 1/4 throttle with boost gauge in the vacum, when I step on it at this speed it leaps forward and pulls forever, seems like it could go 200 (my wife was in the car so I didnt try it, believe it or not she slept through at least 300 miles of 110 plus mph running -the thrum of the offroad H's just put her to sleep-its weird how over 100 the car gets quiet and leaves the exhaust noise behind like an airplane). Of course, Ill never impress you 10 sec turbo man. I'll be hunting for this Supra guy just to find out what he's got, it would be interesting to post actual mods. I've seen him before, not too many older Supras around here. Another ineresting note: on Friday I chanced upon a local guy who sold me a brand new in the box set of Y2K Cobra R 18 X 9 wheels for $440!! Now I need some fat meats for them-any reccomendations?
Old 03-04-2002, 01:31 PM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

Talking Did someone say my name???

The 3rd gen turbo supra had 232hp and 250ft/lbs of torque in stock form and the N/A cars had 200hp and 200ft/lbs of torque. The bad thing about those cars is that they were the heaviest of the 4 gens of supras weighing 3600+. The stock CT26 turbo is basically maxed out at about 14-16psi(stock boost is 7psi) and depending on the other mods made to the car, 16psi can get around 330whp. At that point, the next thing to do is to get a larger compressor housing and go from there....also the stock exhaust housing is on the small side and creates a lot of heat at that boost level(trade off for fast spooling). The next step is to upgrade to the t04e compressor housing with the stock exhaust and run the same psi and get about 370whp. Anything past that and you would need a full T04e turbo.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #12
bark3rd
Registered Member

Your #'s coincide with my original guess that he had between 320-350 hp to run like he did. It would make sense that he has a maxed-out stock compressor because it doesnt seem like the type of ride that had big $ in it-kind of a beater. Definetely not stock though. I am actively hunting a lil red RX7 turbo that smoked me a while back when I was running a 75 shot (although I had 4 people in the car). I think he is in for a surprise! (Its not a $80k mod Rx7, I think he's running stock turbos with alot of bolt ons 93 or 94 model). Should be a good race. Last time we raced he was a cocky lil punk, after the race we rolled our windows down and he said something like "you'll need a little more than that to beat me". I cant wait to see the look on his face when my off road H and blower roar past his wheezing gerbil wheel powered go kart!
Old 03-05-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
Severisth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bark3rd
silver 6: when you sell your 6 banger take my advice: Instead of buying a new or used stock 00 Gt, find a nicely modified one and buy it instead. I bought my car before I knew diddly about Mustangs, I kick myself in the *** every time i look through the auto trader and see 100's of low mile mustangs with every expensive mod imaginable selling for at or near the price of stock ones!
That's what I tell people too. The common reason not to buy modified is that you'll "know they've been beat on". That may be true, and you may break a part or two.

But look at the logic in this example: A car with 5,000 worth of mods on it (that you would have had to buy) breaks 1,000 worth of parts. That means you saved 4,000 buying those parts for the stock GT. And you're faster from the start! You don't have to deal with the headaches of crappy shops ripping you off or breaking things, you don't have to worry about spending entire weekends installing parts, and you don't have to wait for weeks while your car is torn apart getting new installations.

Just my 2 cents
Severisth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:32 PM   #14
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Nice setup and kill man, every race story I read I can't wait tell I get my car on the road.

Take it easy,
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 10:01 PM   #15
STEEDAJEFF
Registered Member

Default .

Good Kill!
STEEDAJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote