MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
50DAVIDLX

Default 1st time to the track?

im going to the track tomorrow after school, and its going to be my first time.

do you guys have any predictions on what my time could be with a good run?
my 88 lx mods: B303 cam, 3:73s, K&N air filter, JBA headers, dual chamber flows, off road H pipe, hurst shifter
Handling: Steada package, lowered 2inch, strut and sways and 17inch cobra R rims 245/45

when doing a burn out to get the tires warm, do you guys use breaks?

and do you have any tips for a first timmer?

thanks
Old 05-21-2002, 02:25 PM   #2
Green9550
Resident Redneck

Ok, first don't go through the water box, try at all cost to go around it. Next, don't lower the pressure in your tires. Now, since you have lowering springs, don't expect to get a great launch. I know I don't drive a 5spd, but what I would suggest doing is reving to about 2500 or so and when the light goes down let the clutch out as fast as you can without spinning. It is hard as **** to get it right the first couple of times, but just have fun. Don't expect too much the first time out. Just go and learn how to drive on the track. When you do your burn out, don't do a long one, they are street tires. You do not need to use your breaks. All you have to do is clean the tires off. What is your timming at? If it is stock, try 14*. You should be able to go high 13's depending on weather and track height. Good luck man. Just remember, go to have fun. Don't get down on your self if you don't do that well. You will drive better when you are relaxed. Take care man. Good luck.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 05:12 PM   #3
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Hey David are you going to carlsbad? Are you ever gonna come down in my neck of the woods and run ay qualcomm? hehe. I want to get out there soon and it would be cool to meet ya. I might go this saturday.

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:19 PM   #4
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Prediction - 1st time, umm, 13.9@101
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:48 AM   #5
50DAVIDLX

thanks for the tips there are going to be a great help. i will be so pumped if i can get into the 13's because all i ever here about around here are 5.0s getting low 14's on a good average.

MidNightBlue: my friends and i are talking about dong a road trip down in to San Diego and i have a friend that lives in carlsbad
Old 05-22-2002, 08:44 AM   #6
mckayracing
Registered Member

I have been to the track plenty of times, but never ran. But I can pass on some helpful advice from my buddy who does run. The first time he went he did not concern himself with getting a good reaction time. He did not want to red light it, so he made sure not to jump the gun. He does drive a 6 spd, and he revs his up around 2500 and drops it to the point where his tires don't spin. Becareful when going to second, some tracks are still a little slippery so be mindful not to spin some more.
After you first time down the strip, you will be alot more relaxed, and your times will improve.
Don't forget to post your times on this message board, and good luck!
Old 05-22-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Hey David where do you live again? I thought you lived in poway area but i guess not lol.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: