MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thumbs up FINALLY! A beacon of sense in the courts...

From the Communist News Network:

McDonald's obesity suit tossed

"U.S. judge says complaint fails to prove chain is responsible for kids' weight gain."

http://money.cnn.com/2003/01/22/news...alds/index.htm

My favorite quote is from the kid's father:
Bradley's father, Israel, said he never saw anything in the Bronx restaurants that informed him of the food's ingredients. "I always believed McDonald's was healthy for my children," he said in an affidavit.

No wonder people think Americans are fat and stupid...

When will we learn that it is OUR own responsibility to take care of ourselves and our families? Its not McDonald's responsibility. It's not the government's.... Its time to be a grownup... jeez...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

I knew that case had to be thrown out. It was far too ridiculous to waste the courts time with. They have better things to do, such as punish criminals.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
bigred90gt
2 Stangs in the Stable

Quote:
I knew that case had to be thrown out. It was far too ridiculous to waste the courts time with. They have better things to do, such as punish criminals.
Have you by any chance seen any of the frivalous (sp?) lawsuits lately. Anything that is a waste of time seems to take precedence over the important cases. But hey, who am I o "JUDGE" our judicial system?!?!

Caymon
Rice Haters Club Member #128
bigred90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
bigbandjohn
Registered Member

Finally! Common Sense comes to the Judicial system! People who don't realise eating fried fatty foods makes you fat are... living in a fantasy world. I don't think there was any conspiracy to show that food as being healty - so where's the beef?

*ducks*
bigbandjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Tort lawyers circle the bleeding corporate survivor

While I applaud the common sense of the court in dismissing the lawsuit for damages against McDonalds I'm not all that confident that we won't see more of these popping up; idiots and their greedy lawyers suing different compnies for selling foods that hasten the addition of extra pounds when eaten to excess, like McDonalds hamburgers and fries.

I can remember when tobacco companies were first sued by people who contracted lung cancer from smoking and the suits were thrown out because the cigarette packs had warning labels on them for decades. No matter. The suits kept coming and finally, a jury voted to award a large cash settlement to a smoker even though he had been warned of the cancer risk in smoking. Turned out that the cigarette companies had hidden the fact that the cigarettes were more addictive than they ever admitted and they did nothing to lower the nicotine content, in fact, they raised it to increase sales. Eventually, the tobacco companies made a group settlement to the ststes of many billions over ten years to end the suits.

While the tobacco companies may have deserved the huge settlement and multi-billion dollar hit to the pocketbook, the fact that people kept suing based on their developing lung cancer from smoking, even after the government made the tobacco companies put cancer warnings on the cigarette packs, does not bode well for sanity here. Tort lawyers are like sharks and probably smell some corporate blood in the water from fast food companies already. I expect more suits like this and eventually some brain-dead jury will award some fat idiot a huge cash judgement based on the fast food companies not telling him that hamburgers, fries and milk shakes as a steady diet might make you fat and unheathy. Wait for it.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
DAN-MAN
Confederate Cowboy

Default Re: Tort lawyers circle the bleeding corporate survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
While I applaud the common sense of the court in dismissing the lawsuit for damages against McDonalds I'm not all that confident that we won't see more of these popping up; idiots and their greedy lawyers suing different compnies for selling foods that hasten the addition of extra pounds when eaten to excess, like McDonalds hamburgers and fries.

I can remember when tobacco companies were first sued by people who contracted lung cancer from smoking and the suits were thrown out because the cigarette packs had warning labels on them for decades. No matter. The suits kept coming and finally, a jury voted to award a large cash settlement to a smoker even though he had been warned of the cancer risk in smoking. Turned out that the cigarette companies had hidden the fact that the cigarettes were more addictive than they ever admitted and they did nothing to lower the nicotine content, in fact, they raised it to increase sales. Eventually, the tobacco companies made a group settlement to the ststes of many billions over ten years to end the suits.

While the tobacco companies may have deserved the huge settlement and multi-billion dollar hit to the pocketbook, the fact that people kept suing based on their developing lung cancer from smoking, even after the government made the tobacco companies put cancer warnings on the cigarette packs, does not bode well for sanity here. Tort lawyers are like sharks and probably smell some corporate blood in the water from fast food companies already. I expect more suits like this and eventually some brain-dead jury will award some fat idiot a huge cash judgement based on the fast food companies not telling him that hamburgers, fries and milk shakes as a steady diet might make you fat and unheathy. Wait for it.
Very well spoken Mr. 50. And everything you said is true. Lawyers that see a potential to make a huge sum of money will tell a person anything and the idiot will believe it. That's like when the gun companies were sued because cities claimed that handguns were an unsafe product. They were hoping to get a huge cash settlement.

We need more people like Judge Sweet in office. Maybe then the judicial system will turn around.

Daniel.

RHC MEMBER #25
DAN-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

What the heck is this world comming to?

If I can't sue anyone for anything, I might have to get a job NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 01-22-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up Re: FINALLY! A beacon of sense in the courts...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
...When will we learn that it is OUR own responsibility to take care of ourselves and our families? Its not McDonald's responsibility. It's not the government's.... Its time to be a grownup... jeez...
AMEN!!!!!!!!!
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:15 PM   #9
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Fast food may not be the healthiest food to eat but if you want to indulge, all it takes is a little bit of EXERCISE to work off the calories/fat.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:03 PM   #10
jj_jonathon
Trisket

I came up with the perfect law suit a while ago. Lays Potato Chips. Potato chips are know known to cause cancer (like everything "does"). And on the bag (and well advertised) they tease you "Betcha can't eat just one". So Lays Potato Chips compulsed me to eat myself into cancer. I guess it would only work if I ate enough chips to actually have them cause it. lol. Only 3,579,568 bags to go and I'm a billionaire!

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Unfortunatley it seems that Stupidity flourishes in the States. No one now a days once to take responsibility for there actions. Point the finger at some one else, or place the blame on ones own ignorance, but word it another way so that it may invoke sympathy or empathy.

Just like the moron who won against McDonalds because they spilled Hot coffee on there lap. I would like to slap that person.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

I don't know what's worse: The scumbag attorney's taking on suits like these or the jury's that have awarded huge sums of cash. The phrase 'a jury of your peers' is downright scary these days.

It's just a matter of time before Anheuser-Busch is going to be sued because some frat boy was so inebriated from doing keg stands that he fell off the frat house roof while trying to score with an inflatable Miss Happy doll.

All this makes you wonder if we should at least explore the option of 'loser pays' - like the Brits do it. Hmmm...

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:06 AM   #13
BLOCKER
Registered Member

"hey its not my fault that I ordered hot coffee, its mcdonalds fault for serving it"

"I couldn't read the 'hot' label because it was written in the same colour printing of the mcdonalds symbol"

"holding a hot cup of coffee between ones legs is good place, especial while driving"

"I didn't know that eating fries cooked in grease and burgers caked with mayo would make me fat,... of course I exersise everday I play nintendo for at least 6 hours after school"

...pathetic!
-2008 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200
-2008 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special
-1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertable
BLOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote