MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2003 Cobra = Slow? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=25392)

INVINCISTANG 06-24-2002 08:15 AM

2003 Cobra = Slow?

:confused: What's up with this?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=114814

tireburner163 06-24-2002 11:21 AM

bad track and a even worst driver....simple as that.

INVINCISTANG 06-24-2002 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tireburner163
bad track and a even worst driver....simple as that.
Something had to have been wrong with the car. There is no way that car (even with a bad track and bad driver) should run that ET at that trap speed

Rosco 06-24-2002 11:49 AM

Horrible driver

Was just looking at my...magazine ( don't remeber which it was ), but they tested the new Blown Cobra. I'm not sure what kind of tires they were running, if they were the stock tires or what. They managed a 12.6 with a 2.0 60' time. I'm not really sure what mph they ran at, but that guy must have been doing something horribly wrong, or the guy on the other board is really lying. Oh well.

Dark_5.0 06-24-2002 11:49 AM

2700 ft altittude. and an average driver....at sealevel that would have been about a 13.5.....which is probably what the average driver will run in the new cobra IMO.

Its not like I havent seen supercharged 4.6 L at the track. I believe there are 2 of them that race at the same track I do. They usually run 12.9-13.1 @ 2800ft.

This guy couldnt drive worth a damn and the track sucked.

I have seen LS1's run high 14's and I have seen LS1's run high 12's the driver makes all the difference.

Wish I would have been there so I could have been the 1st guy on my block to kill a new cobra.:cool:

Later,

The Deuce 06-24-2002 12:51 PM

I'm sorry, but if you don't race, then 7 passes aren't enough to get it figured out. Sounds like the guy was a rookie, and the LS1 guys are going to get blown out when somebody who can drag takes one down the 1/4.:D

Aquaman 06-24-2002 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by INVINCISTANG

There is no way that car (even with a bad track and bad driver) should run that ET at that trap speed

I agree/ With the supposed power the 03' Cobra has it should trap way over 104. Stock on a horrible run (missed 3rd) I still trapped 106. At sealevel it would have been around 107 and with the weight and other factors I can see the 03 going that fast. but with low 13's not mid 13's

jonnyk 06-24-2002 06:42 PM

If he was running 2.345+ 60 foots and hitting the rev limiter before the shifts, then that says enough to me. Terrible driver.

Rev 06-24-2002 07:01 PM

Altitude/track/drivers all contributed to poor time slips probably. As noted in that thread, the LS1 SS ran only a 14.0 as did the Syclone.

Sounds like nobody did worth a squat to me, for what these cars should do. Wonder what the temp was at the track also?

Rev

Skyman 06-24-2002 08:07 PM

Bad driver, car screwedup, bad track etc.

Who cares.

I wanna see the 12sec ones.

Skyler

Aquaman 06-24-2002 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rev
Altitude/track/drivers all contributed to poor time slips probably. As noted in that thread, the LS1 SS ran only a 14.0 as did the Syclone.

Sounds like nobody did worth a squat to me, for what these cars should do. Wonder what the temp was at the track also?

Rev

Those Times are about Right for that altitude. Usually S/C cars and Turbo cars are not as affected by the alt. as N/A cars are. I would say there is a good chance that the driver was a big factor but just how big remains to be seen;)

Rev 06-24-2002 08:56 PM

Altitude

Isn't there a web site that converts ets/trap speeds according to altitude (and other atmospheric conditions). I'm sure I've seen it, just can't remember when or where.

Rev

LfiveohX 06-24-2002 10:39 PM

Not making excuses, but ........

LACR Sucks!

I had been there several times and also went to Pomona before it closed when my mustang had the same level of mods. I have the timeslips from both places. This is not a science lesson here, just thought I would share my experience with LACR.

LACR best time:
60' - 2.222
1/4 - 14.996
mph - 94.385

Pomona only run:
60' - 2.291
1/4 - 14.508
mph - 98.64

I'm not saying that this holds true for everyone, but I noticed a huge difference between these two tracks. And not to mention, Pomona is not that great either! I would like to see someone else's times that has gone to say Carlsbad and LACR with the same mods, tires, etc. just to compare. For those who aren't from California, Carlsbad is probably the closest to sea level out of all the dragstrips in southern california. I've never run my car there but I am curious to see what mine will do there!

Later,

Adam

red82gt 06-25-2002 12:24 AM

MM&FF got 110 mph out of theirs and Car & Driver got a 12.9@109 out of theirs.
Those times seem really fishy to me, I think it was a 2001 Cobra and the guy doesn't know his ***** from a hole in the ground.
Up north here at Mission Raceway park (24ft above sea level) I've seen 3 different bone stock 2001's run low and mid 13's (13.2-13.7) @ 102 to 105mph. Can't wait to see what the 03's will run here.

Aquaman 06-25-2002 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by red82gt
MM&FF got 110 mph out of theirs and Car & Driver got a 12.9@109 out of theirs.
Those times seem really fishy to me, I think it was a 2001 Cobra and the guy doesn't know his ***** from a hole in the ground.
Up north here at Mission Raceway park (24ft above sea level) I've seen 3 different bone stock 2001's run low and mid 13's (13.2-13.7) @ 102 to 105mph. Can't wait to see what the 03's will run here.

I agree I can't wait to run one. But both MM&FF and Car & Driver tested ford test mules with race seats and other mods done. because at the time thats all ford had to offer them. I know Car and Driver made mention of it in their article and they both tested the same car. So did Automoblie who managed a 13.2@107 at a sealevel track in La. So till I see one run in person I will believe the one's people are seeing at the track over the magazine cars. But with the power and weight I would think 12.9's - 13.1's from the dealer in the hands of a great driver.

INVINCISTANG 06-25-2002 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Deuce
I'm sorry, but if you don't race, then 7 passes aren't enough to get it figured out. Sounds like the guy was a rookie, and the LS1 guys are going to get blown out when somebody who can drag takes one down the 1/4.:D
All LS1 guys? You must be talking about stock or near stock LS1 guys.

explicitone 06-25-2002 04:01 PM

Quote:

do you think that if any of us could get our hands on the new cobra it would stay stock very long.. and for any ls1 guy to base there thoughts of the new cobra on one guy at the track is just plain stupid that would be like seeing one guy in a viper run a 13 and say that oh they have the power that everyone says they do so there all push overs . I DONT THINK SO
the new cobra was dynoed with 370 to the wheels oh thats right the ls1 guys are going to say but its supercharged but wait a min arent the ls1s 5.7 liters copmared to the mustangs 5.0 or 4.6 you dont see us crying because they have bigger motors no we find ways to make up for it. modded ls1 vs modded 03 cobra thats what I want to see....

The Deuce 06-25-2002 04:47 PM

Quote:

I could build my 240z to be faster than your modded LS1s. There comes a point when you can't claim you're fast because of what
you started with.

If I beefed up my rear end, put on a 280 head, twin turbos, 680cfm holley and 4:11, I could say, "I beat you with a 30 year old straight six." But obviously that isn't why I would win. It would be because I did a bunch of stuff and started making more hp than you in a lighter car with steep gears.

Take a new SS and a new Cobra. Cobra wins with comparable
drivers. That was what Ford was going for and accomplished. When you start saying, well I can beat you because I'm modded it turns into a pissing contest.

If you want to modify, so can the Ford guys. I think thats why we are all here. These questions you pose sound like you been eating too much Uncle Bens.

blue00gt 06-25-2002 06:54 PM

With 370hp at the wheels in stock trim, the '03 Cobra is no joke. Ford had to restrict the **** out of the intake and exhaust to comply with driveby sound limits for street cars, so there is a lot more potential there than one might think. I think MM&FF said they gained like 13 rwhp just by ripping out the intake silencer and air filter...

Kamaro Killer 09-19-2002 07:39 PM

Tell them Mike!

I wouldn't compare the Cobra to the LS1's off just one driver either. I was at a sealevel track a week ago and saw a 03 run against a few LS1's. The only LS1 to beat the Cobra was a modded Z-06 with ET streets. Put some slicks, or even just equal tires on the Cobra and it will smoke the Z-06! That's just what I saw though, why do you think the LS1 guys just talk, I didn't see too many opening thier mouth like this at the track. I wonder why, lol. Later, Keith.