MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
WhiteLX
Registered Member

Default Decided to build a stroker, but where do I start?

I have decided to build a stroker using my stock 5.0 block. I would like the engine to last as long as possible and pass CA emissions. Lets say at least 50,000 miles. I would like to be able to hit it with a 100-150 shot of nitrous on occasions. I feel that on nitrous I will be around 450rwhp. RPM should be no more than 6500rpm.

Heads: Cast iron, fully ported Windsor Sr heads, 54cc chambers
Intake: Holley Systemax (I feel its the best intake for a stroker that has a CARB EO#)
Cam: Custom hydraulic roller
Fuel: 91 octane
Compression: 10-10.5:1

I have narrowed it down to two strokers, 331 or 347. I am worried about possible blow by as the mileage increases with a 347, but the 347s are a bit less expensive than the 331. I am going to be pushing it on passing emissions already with the compression and cam, so I don't need "just a little more" blow by causing me to fail emissions.

Cranks: What crank brands have people had good luck with? I think I was looking at Eagle and Scat. I'll probably stick with cast unless cast won't work for me.

Rods: How are Crower sportsmans? I would like to try to keep the as light as possible, but also keep it on a low budget. I know I could go with some Eagle H-beams, but those things are so heavy. Will Crower Sportsmans be able to stay together at the power levels I am looking at? Also, what rod length should I get (I know it depends on the ci, so recommend one for the ci you suggest above)?

Pistons: We can get a good deal on Wisecos. Does wiseco make anything for the stroker sizes above? if not, who makes a good, somewhat light piston that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Girdle: I will be running a girdle. Who makes a good one? Any of them feature a built-in windage tray or work with a windage tray?

Crank scraper: Anyone make one for said strokers? Is it even worth it?

I appreciate any info you can offer.

Thanks,
Eric
My webpage
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:10 AM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

Your right passing emissions is going to be tuff. I still would go with the 347 if it were me though.

Heads: Do the seniors cary a CARB#?

Crank: Stick with a cast steal crank unless you are looking to run lots of hp and rpm.

Rods: The sportsmans will work fine, but so will the H-beams though.

Pistons: weisco is a big piston co. I would assume that you could find the ones you are looking for.

Girdle: DSS has a girdle with a built in windage tray

Scraper: It would not be worth it in your setup. If you must have one though Canton oilpans have a little scraper welded on there pans. If it even works.... I don't know.

Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 AM   #3
Forcedpower
Registered Member

Coast High performance makes a smog legal 347. Might want to check with them.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Good comments above.

I think the blow-by thing is a thing of the past.

I've got the DSS girdle and the oil control tray that they sell. For mine, they are two separate pieces. Also, you will have to do some grinding to make everything fit.

I'm running heavy old H-beams, but you can get a set of 4340 I-beams that have been lightened if you really want to. I think they were an additional $100 or $200 over the regular I-beams.

Coast, (aka Probe) makes some nice pistons. I'm running there lightweight Sportsman Race Series pistons with special valve relief for my TFS Trick Flow heads. Very nice pistons.

I guess my main recommendation would be to stick with one company when making this purchase. Alot of them have stroker packages that will save you money. Plus, if you have any issues, you will be dealing with just one company, not several.

You mentioned rod length - I'm running a 5.315 rod (for a 1.635 rod ratio). There are kits with 5.4 rods too.

327, 331, 342, 347 - that's up to you.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
chris91LX
Registered Member

I'm looking at going to a 331 stroker too. I'm looking at the Scat and Eagle kits and I'm planning on putting it together myself. If your going to stay with a stock block don't worry about going to a forged crank as the block will fail before a cast crank will. I believe the H beam rods are much stronger than the I beams, but, again, the block will fail before a set of forged I beams. As far as the DSS girdle, I've heard some people don't like them, you might want to do a little research on them before you buy. I'm probably going to buy mine from a local machine shop that does a fair amount of work for guys in my club.

If your going to have a shop assemble the motor for you, talk to them to see what's available, some of them are happy to assemble parts you bring them, others won't want to deal with stuff they don't sell you. Just my .02
125 shot - 12.04 @ 113 1.59 60'
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:35 AM   #6
Forcedpower
Registered Member

I got my 331 from Keith Craft very nice people to deal with. Another thing is if you go with H beam rods your block will have to be clearanced. If you go with I beam I don't belive you have to do that.