MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
superwillard
Registered Member

Default coolant sensor cut out

I was told that if I put a switch in the wire going to the coolant sensor this will trick the computer into changing my air/fuel mixture to full rich and when I would race the car would be able to use all of the fuel. I don't know anything about messing with computer cars I've alway run carbs. Please tell me if this will hurt me.

86 mustang 5.0
Current mods:
1 5/8 headers
h-pipe
gt40 intake
70 mm tb
195 lph pump
3.73 gear
5 speed
Also were do I put this info in my profile so that I don't have to wright this again

thanks
superwillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Simi Stang

Default don't

I wouldn't recommend it. What would the switch be for? To turn the sensor on & off? That would just trip a code & probably turn the check engine light on. Having your car run in open loop is not going to increase your power.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
superwillard
Registered Member

The guy said that the switch turns the sensor off and tell the computer to basicly dump fuel into the car. I was just wondering if anyone ever heard of this.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:41 AM   #4
gtsr515
Registered Member

Default This one takes the cake????

No offense, but "The Guy" is steering you WAY wrong, as mentioned all that would do is trip a code, If you need more fuel which I doubt, install a larger fuel pump, injectors and a AFPR.

WOW!!!!!.....what a crazy idea .....i thought i heard 'em all till this one, hehehehehehe!!!!!!

jay
Old 03-08-2003, 01:36 AM   #5
Technick
Registered Member

One thing that you could try, put the air charge temp sensor in the air filter housing instead of leavig it in the hot intake manifold. This is what the factory has gone to since 1994 I think. This gives the ECU a much more correct reading of actual air inlet temp as oposed to what a heat soaked sensor will read off of the hot intake manifold. It will cause for a SLIGHTLY richer A/F ratio as the cooler air temp reading tells the computer that the air is more dense thus more fuel is needed. Not a Huge deal, but worth a little bit.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:36 AM   #6
Coupe Devil

Actually it does work in a way. A regular switch will just trip a code and not work like your thinking. You can get a reostat type switch that still allows voltage to pass through and is adjustable, that way the computer still thinks its cool on start so it will adjsut the fuel mixture for that. then you can readjsut hte reostat switch to make the computer think its cooler,, causeing it to dump more fuel. It does work, yes, I dont recommend it.. I know of a couple guys that have done it. real hardto get it jsut right.. better to just leave that alone.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:09 AM   #7
superwillard
Registered Member

thanks for the info I'll skip it
Old 03-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
mike72678
MW Link Sponsor

The engine coolant temperature sensor plays an extremely important role in the fuel and timing tables in the eec , leave it alone or else you are asking for trouble.
mike72678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
lx5091
Registered Member

hey superwillard, to answer your second question:

at the top of the page click [user cp]
then click on [edit profile]
you can enter your car's info or whatever else in the [signature] box provided.....

have fun

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote