MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
PNYXPS66
Registered Member

Default 4cylinder sleeper racer

Hey folks -
It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm trynig to get my pony built like I want it; and RIGHT!

I'm looking for serious thinkers and non theological debates on who's exhaust pipe is bigger as I've seen ni other parts of these forums.

I've got a running 88 pony lx 4banger. I know that these little ponies can push up to 350 HP if done right. We race'em close to where I live. Just wish I could get some inside tracks on these guys, but no luck so far.

This is what I've done so far: I rebuilt the head, increased the cam size to the maximum allowable and still keep it computer friendly. I installed 1.89/1.59 cheater valves, heavier springs, and anti-pumpup hyd. lifters. Increased the compression ratio to 10:1. I've also installed a 3" exhaust pipe that replaced the intake pipe and restricter/baffle. I've also custom built/installed a 2.5" dual exhaust system with a bullet "pre" muffler and twin flowmaster mufflers. This helped mellow out the "buzz" characteristic of 4 bangers.

What I plan to do is increase the size of the TB (Racer Walsh), install a shorty header(Racer Walsh), and go with a 2.5L stroker kit for the bottom end. I plan on rebuilding the T-5 to gear with a v-8's, and go to 3.43 ring gear.

Will the 2.5 stroker crank shorten the strok or lengthen the stroke of the piston in the cylinder? Other ideas on the tranny?

End result is a sleeper car that I can use as a daily ride and spook some honda's in the process.

Thanks for the attention, I look forward to your responses.