MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
7up
Registered Member

Default 5.0 vs 5.0

I was going to my parents house today when I spotted a mid-80's black 5.0 pull out of their subdivision. I figured I'd follow him I see if I could have a little fun. He saw me and he wanted to go, but we are on a two lane road with a bunch of traffic. HIs Stang didn't look modded at all, but the thing had a nasty growl when he hit it. So I kept following him and a few times we had a chnace to take off a little bit, but I was stuck behind him and we would run into more traffic. Finally he turns on to this wide four lane road with no one on it in sight. He takes off and then I take off behind him. I caught up with him at the end of second gear and them I passed him at the start of third. I let off after we hit 75 and I was barely 1 car length ahead of him.

We both stopped at the end of the road and I asked him what he had done to his Mustang. He said just a few little things and then he asked if I wanted to go again from a stop. I said sure. We lined up and he went and I went. I got a crappy launch and spun all through first. We were dead even at the end of first then I started pulling away when I got traction in second. We hit third and I'm about one car length ahead and he starts catching up to me, then he passes me and I let off when I hit 90. HE was atleast one car length ahead of me, that thing really took off.

We stopped and talked some more. He said he had a cam and intake and listed a few other mods. He complained that he wasn't putting down the power though, because he only had a 7 1/2 rear end and 308 gears. I didn't inform him that I only have 273's. I told him I had the Vortech supercharger with 5 psi. He seemed like a cool guy and he did a burn when he took off to catch some friends that had passed us going the other way right when we stopped racing the second time.

That race made my day, I never get to have races like that.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:19 PM   #2
mean81GT
Registered Member

a 7.5 rear with 3.08 gears is going to produce the same rwhp numbers in that car as if he swapped in an 8.8 with 3.73's, or whatever gear. Gears don't change HP, they only change how the car revs (sort of). did he mean he didn't want to get on it for fear of blowing the rear? cause i've done 3500 rpm clutch drops at the track (only way i could get the 12.6) with my old 7.5 and not had a problem. I am swapping in an 8.8 eventually, only because the car will have over 400 RWHP when it's done. but right now the 7.5 can take it. Oh, and by the way, you should have smoked him.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:45 PM   #3
7up
Registered Member

I thought the same thing about the gears and rear end. He said he couldn't put the power down because he only had a 7 1/2 rear end and 3.08 gears. I know gears don't change hp although they can make your car quicker. He said he was waiting for his rear end to blow so he could get a new one, so he wasn't scared of blowing it. I didn't think a 7 1/2 rear end would make him lose power.

You really think I should have smoked him? I think he had done a lot more to that car than he told me. It sounded real mean, and it was crazy how he took off all the sudden when he hit third gear. I was atleast one car length ahead, maybe more and then bam he was one and half ahead of me. It was almost as if he had nitrous.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
Stang Runner
Registered Member

Do tell you the Truth the 7.5 should Put MORE power down to the wheels as there is Less Rotating Mass... Like might get 1-2HP more Maybe!!!
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Lightbulb N2O maybe

it sounds like he sprayed you to me, did you let off right after he passed you? or did his burst of speed last? maybe you are right and he had alot more mods than he admitted. either way he sounded cool as hell and that was a chill race. the best kind. cool race, next time get the kill. peace.
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote