MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-11-2002, 09:32 PM   #1
yelowjaket
Registered Member

Unhappy This 67' impala could waste any of us!

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-****."

www.darwinawards.com
-BBK equal length shorty headers
-K&N
-BBK 65mm Throttle Body
-Edelbrock performer 5.0 intake
-3.73 gears
yelowjaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
vetteeatr
Registered Member

I dont even know what to say. Thats just beyond amazing. I cant even comprehend that.

Wow......

I wonder if he had any idea that he would be going that fast... If so all i have to say is

Balls

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:41 PM   #3
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

hey, should i get one of those instead of a supercharger? I think that might have a little more kick to it.............

just be like, yeah im flying, goin three hundred miles an hour then BAM! over, but my 1/4 mile time would be sweet...
-9mm FMS Spark Plug Wires
-Hedmann Headers 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
-Flowmaster 40 series 2.5" Catback
5.0 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Can I buy those off Ebay?

World Windsor Sr.'s, Harland sharpe rockers, 3.73 gears, pulleys, no ac, hurst shifter, 10:1 pistons, BBK full length headers and H-pipe with flows.

Under extensive work for porting and fly cutting to accept my new cam and to match my soon to have systemax intake *DROOL*

Best E.T. 13.20 with edelbrock RPM intake and 70mm TB
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
20LbsBoost

How cool would it be to show up at a street race sporting that type of mod? If one could control it and not reach that extreme speed it should be considered fair game since everyone's saying "run what'cha brung"? .....food for thought.

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 11-12-2002 at 08:36 PM..
Old 11-12-2002, 03:54 AM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Damn some people can be real idiots. I bet it was fun while it lasted!
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:38 AM   #7
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 20LbsBoost
I hate to re-hash old discussions but would that be considered a "power adder"?

Would it be fair to show up at a street race sporting that type of mod? If one could control it and not reach that extreme speed it should be considered fair game since everyone's saying "run what'cha brung"? I bet a lot would cry "foul".....food for thought.
It would still be run watcha brung...........The theory behind this is anything you have done to your car I could also do to mine if I was so inclined. The fact that the next guy may have more stuff done to his car than you just means hes further ahead of the game than you. Any REAL racer realizes this and brings his car up to a competitive level. Alot of people need to realize that racing is just like life, it isnt fair. People that always whine that life isnt fair and cant compete end up shooting thereselves. Which leads me to believe that maybe handguns should be an available option on honda civics.

Peace,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:32 PM   #8
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

You know that had to be one hell of a ride. If the doctors told me I had a few days to live I'd probably do the same thing. =) Wouldn't it be cool to pull up to the lights and take off in that thing. lol I'm surprised the tires didn't blow at those speeds befoer he applied the brakes. How big are those things anyway?

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:43 PM   #9
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Yeah...that one happened quite a while back. I heard about it a number of years ago.

You know it's gotta suck for the guy in the car. I imagine he had almost a minute to contemplate the idiocracy of his actions before he smashed into the mountain. Better have made his peace, 'cause what are you gonna do?

What I want to know is how he secured the rocket to his car. Those things carry a wollap.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:40 PM   #10
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

that is an urban legend. never happened. check with Arizona state records and you will not find it, cause it never happened!!

but a cool story though!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #11
srv1
Get down.....

Old 11-12-2002, 10:31 PM   #12
5.0 Pony
Registered Member

Come on don't you guys know about the secret tool? Im sure he used duct tape to secure the rocket, that stuff can be used for everything
-9mm FMS Spark Plug Wires
-Hedmann Headers 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
-Flowmaster 40 series 2.5" Catback
5.0 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:54 AM   #13
BAleR
Registered Member

Dark 5.0 : "It would still be run watcha brung...........The theory behind this is anything you have done to your car I could also do to mine if I was so inclined. The fact that the next guy may have more stuff done to his car than you just means hes further ahead of the game than you. Any REAL racer realizes this and brings his car up to a competitive level. Alot of people need to realize that racing is just like life, it isnt fair. People that always whine that life isnt fair and cant compete end up shooting thereselves. Which leads me to believe that maybe handguns should be an available option on honda civics.

Peace,"

dark 5.0, i think that is the smartest thing iv ever herd you say!
5speed (stock)
Team DRT
BAleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:32 PM   #14
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

That story is old as all hell and yes it is just an Urban Legend.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 AM   #15
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
It would still be run watcha brung...........The theory behind this is anything you have done to your car I could also do to mine if I was so inclined. The fact that the next guy may have more stuff done to his car than you just means hes further ahead of the game than you. Any REAL racer realizes this and brings his car up to a competitive level. Alot of people need to realize that racing is just like life, it isnt fair. People that always whine that life isnt fair and cant compete end up shooting thereselves. Which leads me to believe that maybe handguns should be an available option on honda civics.

Peace,
Excellent point and very well written. You've convinced me that my view was narrow minded and without rules, such as street racing, anything's fair game.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:20 PM   #16
stevstum
Registered Member

Default That was an old "Darwin Award" winner

I agree life isn't fair. I just watched a video clip of a 600 hp Supra highway racing a 2002 s/c Cobra. Was it a fair race some my say no because the Supra owner Knew what he had and the Cobra didn't. I think it was fair because like eveyone is saying there are no rules on the street when you are racing.

20lbsboost I read your last post I think you had your ***** handed to you by someone with N2O and need to talk this out with your Shrink. GET OVER IT!

89 LX 5.0 5sp, Removed air silencer
Mac High Flow Air Filter
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
Mac O/R h-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder
3:55 gears
Accel Super Coil (42,000)
75 mm Mass Air Meter
stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 PM   #17
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I have had my @ss handed to me many times by cars and trucks with nitrous.

I even once made a post bitching about people using nitrous, since then I have learned the real racer motto.

Run Watcha Brung!!!!
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote