MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-27-2001, 12:26 PM   #1
BennyBoy

Post 70's 400sb TransAm (long)

Last night after my basketball game I was walking to my car with my girlfriend and this kid who is 19 or 20 with a mid to late (?) 70's Trans Am (auto, 400 small block, has "just some Edelbrock stuff") stopped right behind my car and just smiled at me. I knew right away it was on. It's a pretty nice car. The paint is good, but the body work before the paint was done is pathetic. And this kid just thinks it's about the fastest thing in the world. I got in my car and went to the parking lot on main street. We talked there for a couple minutes then headed out north of town. He had his brother and one of his friends were in with him, I had just my girlfriend, and there was another car with 3 people in it behind us coming to watch it. Well he dropped off his passengers (besides his bro) and I dropped off my girlfriend at the finish line, and the people in the other car stopped there too. We went back down to the start and lined up and his brother started us. The first race my start was pathetic. I just spun all the way through first, it was bad. I shifted into 2nd a little too early, about 4700 instead of 5500 so it kind bogged or whatever there for a second or two, then picked up again. It was exactly even, but when I hit 3rd I pulled about 4 feet on him and beat him by that much. That was my worst race ever and I still won--but barely! Well, he wanted to call it good, but I knew I could get him a lot worse so we went back and lined up again. This time my start was quite a bit better, but I still spun very bad. But this time they ("it", I guess, not "they", 3:1 peg leg) caught when I was at about 30 mph and then I knew it was over. I actually only had about a half car on him after my first gear (60 mph), but I shifted at the right rpms this time into second and pulled a car length right away, I hit 3rd at 5000 (tranny automatically shifts it) and was still pulling hard. We stopped and talked to the people at the finish line and they said I had him by about 2 or 2 1/2 lengths. That was more of the race I had hoped for. Oh yeah, by the way, these were his first losses ever, and I'm still "undefeated"...knock on wood...I know there are a couple different cars around town I would get beat by, but hey, they haven't found me yet. Sorry for the length. Just trying to get you all into it.

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
=========================
Edelbrock Performer-RPM intake manifold, Edelbrock Performer-RPM cam, Edelbrock lifters, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Accel coil, Moroso Blue-Max spark plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, Edelbrock double roller timing chain, Edelbrock valve springs, Flex fan, C4, Lakewood traction bars, 3:1 open rear-9" 3.89:1 posi coming this summer
=========================
Old 01-27-2001, 03:56 PM   #2
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Yea i went through the trans am faze myself, it was a 78 4spd, quick off the line 373's, but just didnt have what my stang with less gearing can do
good kill, and if you ever run into a 70-71 455, beware i saw one last night runnin 12.3 on dragradials.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.1623(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 97.80
Best 60': 2.0728
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: