MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2002, 11:59 PM   #1
50DAVIDLX

Default ?

Is the slightest bit of spinning ok or is it best if you don’t spin at all?

I almost feel like I have to spin a little in first gear,

And because I have 3:73s should I go past 5000rpms in first or should I try an get out of that gear quick? How do you guys do it?
Old 04-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #2
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

whatever feels right, i would take it high enough so 2nd gear catches, and doesnt bog, maybe someone else with 373's will reply.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:28 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Just do what ever gives you the best times.

I'd shift at your normal shift points, don't try to get out quick

BTW, that's a AWESOME avatar, must have had someone really cool make it for you

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

As Coupe 5.0 said.

You should shift out of first at an RPM where second gear will not bog. In this aspect, racing is kinda like pool (Billards) you wanna set your self up for the next shoot (Gear in racing of course).

For example, if I shifted my 2000 GT at its peak HP RPM out of first, second gear would bog, it would be out of its optimum power band. So I ring 1st out to redline (6250) and do the same for second.

But I have the 4.6, you got a 5.0 so of course the power band is a little diffrent. WHen your shifting out of first (If your using street tires) be easy on the clutch shifting into second because you'll probably get a good amount of spin going on if you let off to quick and get on the gas to early (If your not powershifting).

Shifting into third you dont have to be so easy on the clutch or gas, just shift it like its not your car/Like you stole the thing.

I know my advice will sound like pretty basic stuff, but hoped it helped.

If you wanna figure out what shift point you should use, theres a formula that will take into consideration your powerband and tell you what RPM is the optimum to shift at. I'll try to dig it up for ya.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
sedanman
Registered Member

On the launch it depends I seem to get good launches on my drag radial with just a little bit of tire spin. Radials will rarely do a dead hook and not bog the motor (because you have to launch so low to get a dead hook).

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote