MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
tuco
Registered Member

Default Did I get the right radiator?

I red some of your suggestions on 3 row radiators. Today I purchased a 3 row for my stang from Pep Boys ($160.00) It was supposed to be a bolt on. Guess what? It dose not. It is considerably thicker than the stock. Is there a bracket that fits a larger radiator?. What about the bottom, and top bracket rubber inserts?
If any of you have done some mods to accommodate the bigger radiator, I would appreciate any advise. If not I’m starting to think they sold me the wrong one.

The radiator fits if I take the rubber insert out of the lower and upper brackets, but I’m concerned with damaging the radiator.

If that wasn’t enough, the heater core started leaking coolant fumes into the car. So, I will attempt to re-place it.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb One size doesn't fit all

This is why I always try to buy Ford Racing/Motorsport replacemnet parts for routine items, like a radiator. Decent quality and no fitment problems.

I would call or go back to the Pep Boys store and have them double check the part numbers on the radiator you have. Some clueless clerk could have put in the wrong info and sold you the incorrect radiator for your 'Stang.

Those pads shouldn't be removed and the stock brackets should fit, at least they did on my Ford Motorsport 3-row radiator, but that was from Ford or at least built to Ford specs.

They may have sold you a 'universal' 3-row radiator.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

I have a 3-row that I bought from pep boys and I could only get one of the brakets to fit. It did fit with the stock rubber part in place though. So, for the other side, I temporarily (well its been since last summer, but the car has been in storage all winter) used high quality zip ties to hold it in place. Don't laugh too hard, it actually works quite well.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave it this way, and I completely understand if you are looking for something more cosmetically and mechanically correct and not so half-***ed. But, if you need to drive your car right away, and want a temporary fix it works well. After I take it out of storage, it is definitely on my list to fab up some kind of braket and remove the zip ties, but for now it works.

Also, I only paid $99 for my 3-row radiator. I can't remember the brand name off hand, but it is the heavy duty replacement that they carry with the automatic trans cooler built in. It also fit fine with the lower rubber inserts in.

Good Luck

Mr 5 0 - I would have liked to have bought the ford radiator, but it was about $90 more than this one and I couldn't afford that. If, however, pep boys no longer sells the $99 replacement, if I were tuco I would step up to the Ford piece. For only $30-$40 dollars more than what he paid it would be worth it IMO.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
mean81GT
Registered Member

MTU, i wasn't aware they made different quality zip ties. is that like 87 octane gas vs. 94 octane?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:15 PM   #5
MTU 50
GOT TORQUE ????

My dad got them form a buddy that worked for the phone company. He said that they were more temperature and crack resistent than some of the regular store bought ones. Who knows? It could be a load of B.S., that wouldn't surprise me too much.

I used three of them, and if one cracks or breaks I have spares in the glove box. I ran them through the slots on the top of the radiator, through the holes at the top of the bracket(brace) that runs across the front of the engine compartment. I'm not sure exactly what it is called, but it is the same part of the car that the prop rod for the hood rests on. Like I said it is definitely a temporary fix, albeit an easy, fairly good one, IMO. The radiator can't move anywhere and is in place pretty securely. Plus I still have the factory bracket on the drivers side.
190 LPH fuel pump, 3-row radiator,
Maximum Motorsports full length subframes

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada(wife's car)
2005 Ford Taurus SEL (company ride)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS !!!!
MTU 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #6
89 ATI
Registered Member

When I put in my pep boys radiator I had to cut out some of the rubber on the passenger side top bracket to make it fit. After I did that everything went back together fine.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 11:11 PM   #7
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I got a 3-core heavy duty radiator from auto-zone for 120 bucks. I had to cut a little of the rubber from the hangers but besdies that they fit fine. I think i had to bend them a little actually but that is not hard with some pliers.

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 08:24 AM   #8
Mach 1
Registered Member

Yeah, dont be afraid to bend those brackets around a little to make them fit. You should have the rubber in the bottom though.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89 ATI
When I put in my pep boys radiator I had to cut out some of the rubber on the passenger side top bracket to make it fit. After I did that everything went back together fine.
Same thing i did.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote