MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Acura Cl-S says he beat a cobra? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=26826)

Coupe5oh 07-28-2002 10:46 PM

Acura Cl-S says he beat a cobra?

on another site, this guy comes to the board saying this, and i quote:

I was up in Austin last night visiting the scene talking to friends, etc. At a point everyone left and got on the highway to do some runs. I mainly went to watch, but when I was behind 3 stangs lining up to run I wanted to see how I could hang with them, to my amazement I beat them. The Cobra is the one I am not sure where he was but more details in a bit.
Anyways, the mustangs all lined up in front of me, 5.0 GT 5spd on left lane, 99+ GT 5spd middle, and Cobra in the right. I was behind the 99 GT. I held 2nd gear right in my power band, we all launched at 45mph The 99 GT and Cobra pulled the 5.0. I was on the tail of the 99GT and he was not leaving me. I passed the 5.0 while he was still racing, and I noticed I was getting too close to the 99, so I switched lanes to the left. We kept in it, I hit 3rd sometime in this, and near my top of 3rd I was passing the 99 GT. I was on his side about my front bumper at his front fender before we all let off. The cobra at this time was not ahead of the GT, I think we both pulled him. But the guy with the 99 GT had gauges, and it was black with some nice chrome wheels, loud exhaust, etc.

The guy looked at me with a weird look, like how the hell can that car pass me!?

BTW, I am completely stock! And a Automatic at that!

My car best running area is the highway and at those speeds we ran.

3 stangs go down at once!

unquote, I just cant believe he beat the cobra on the highway, maybe the 5.0, i had to call BS, i mean im sure 260 hp is a good contender for any Gt on the highway, but come on:rolleyes: are these acuras really that fast? btw, he said it was like a 96-98 cobra later in the thread.

StoplightWarrior 07-28-2002 11:18 PM

I'm not gonna call that guy a straight up liar, but something doesnt add up. The GT is lighter, and a 5speed, and has more torque, the cobra should straight annihlate him. Something's up fo sho.

95mustanggt 07-29-2002 07:12 AM

I agree, to call the guy a liar...well I think something is a miss. 305 HP to 260HP, 5 speed to auto, then consider the weight, not to mention the Cobra could have been modded, I would have to have seen it to believe it.

I can see it being very very close (with all the variables).

Dark_5.0 07-29-2002 08:12 AM

This guy is a liar. .........I know a guy with a 96 mistic cobra that only runs 14.7's @3000ft, the new GT's run 14.4's to a 14.5 all day @3000ft.

I can believe the GT taking the cobra but the acura coming from behind and walking the cobra is total BS.

Ricer Talk for sure!

*Steeda90GT* 07-29-2002 09:29 AM

I agree something is up. That Acura is pretty quick, my friend owns one with a cold air kit. He just barely walks my friends 94 GT vert. So I might believe him taking the 5.0 on the highway, just by a smidge. As far as the 99-up GT or 96-up Cobra, those cars should crush him.

95ragtop 07-29-2002 11:07 AM

The CL-S are good up top, but with an auto, it is no comp for a 99 GT much the less Cobra. I have raced CL-S' from a stop and killed them in my stock Regal GS(high 14 sec car at best). The Cobra's just wave bye bye to me.

Anyway, it is clearly some rice talk.

The Deuce 07-29-2002 11:50 AM

The Mustangs were probably all shutting down as he was going by them. The looks he got were more of confusion than amazement. It's easy to get confused when you are around rice fumes all the time.:D

mysweetlx 07-29-2002 12:56 PM

I've got a '02 TL (225 hp), it's pretty quick, probably in the mid 15 range. I've got plenty of friends w/ TLS' and CLS' and they run anywhere from 13.9-15.2. I know of one person who got 13.5 w/ an 80 shot NOS setp (didn't see that one though).

I don't think it's impossible that this guy was able to beat a Mustang, but it sounds odd that he was lucky enough to roll up on 3 Mustangs that were all that slow and/or drivers that couldn't drive. :D

VeNuM 07-29-2002 01:31 PM

Now take into consideration his car is bone stock and an auto, no way he could take all those in the conditions he described.

*Steeda90GT* 07-29-2002 02:10 PM

All of my 5.0 buddies usually spank my buds acura.... I of course rip him to shreds but its not a fair race, I have a Vortech.

Mach351C 07-29-2002 04:00 PM

Sounds like Rice talk to me, a bit odd that he is bone stock and auto and hes beating a 99 gt and a cobra. He said something about having gauges, that does not really mean there modded.

Coupe5oh 07-29-2002 04:27 PM

Well guys, your right, something isnt right, he might have got them, it's ricer talk "he had guages" ricer talk man, i'll keep you guys updated, because i called this guy out, he hasnt said anything about running me, he's skeerd LOL:D well from a roll i'll have to be careful i guess.