MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Acura RSX Type S is fairly quick (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=29993)

Rev 10-11-2002 04:10 PM

Acura RSX Type S is fairly quick

New Acura RSX Type S was fooling around on Braeswood here in Houston. He would goose it and then let off with me behind him and a fair amount of traffic. I was trying to get beside him so as to catch a light or even go from a roll. He wouldn't cooperate to have it that way so I just stayed right behind him. Traffic opened up in his lane and he goosed it. I hit it right after he did thinking I would just run up on his bumper so as to show him I was faster. Didn't quite work out like that. I was 3 or 4 car lengths behind him when I hit it at about 30. We went up to maybe 80 on a city street with traffic in front of us. I gained only about 1 car length during that time. He was cool and waved before he moved into the right turn lane to turn off.

At 2770 lbs with a 6 speed and 200 HP, he was faster than I thought he would be. He does have 200 less lbs. than me, and a 87% efficient drive train compared to my rwd C-4/8" combo whch Ibelieve to be about 75% efficient. Still, I thought I would embarass him pretty badly when in reality, I barely pulled on him.

I would like to run him from a stand still. Pretty sure I would nail him badly there.

Rev

Hammer 10-11-2002 05:15 PM

Quote:

2770 lbs with a 6 speed and 200 HP
The numbers above and the performance you describe just don't seem to match up..... could he have been modded at all?

Rev 10-11-2002 05:31 PM

Modded?

Sure, I guess he could have been modded. But aren't these brand new editions? I wondered about that myself, but this car looked brand new. This wasn't a really clean race as we were in some traffic. We were going from a roll which is not best for me having only 3 gears to his 6. I was behind him with him punching it first. Still thought I would come up on him quicker than I did.

I guess he could have had a 75 shot. That might make more sense. You're probably right Hammer.

Rev

this is not cbring 10-11-2002 05:48 PM

it is actually called an "Acura RSX Type-S"

the GSX is the AWD mitsubishi eclipse that so many rave about

when driven well (which is rare), the type s should be good for a high 14 second quarter

Rev 10-11-2002 06:07 PM

RSX Type S

You are exactly right, this is not cbring. Difficult for us old guys to keep all the alphabet designations straight, LOL. It was definitely an Acura RSX Type S.

I figure a stock one should run about like a Subaru WRX. The WRX having a little more HP and a little more weight. I devestated one of those at the track, but I think he was a wimpy driver. That WRX ran a 14.3. I believe that I would have nailed this guy also at the track, or from a stand still, but who knows if or by how much?

Rev

MidNiteBlu 5.0 10-11-2002 07:22 PM

The difference between a RSX and a WRX is that the WRX is AWd and turbocharged. WRX's should run like 14.0's with a normal driver. Little mods get them quicker too.

I would say that RSX may have been modded but who knows. Find him again and race him from a stop :)

MattwantsSpeed 10-11-2002 07:25 PM

One reason the 2770lb 6 Speed 200hp RSX Type S isn't that fast is the 140lb-ft of TQ pushing it. And IMO I believe that RSX was NOT stock by the sounds of the run because I have a buddy who is a very good driver, and has an 02 RSX Type S with intake and exhaust and has bested a time of 10 flat in an 1/8. That figues out to what mid 15's?? And that's not stock. So I don't think high 14's is attainable in a stock RSX.

Rev 10-11-2002 07:32 PM

OK, not stock

Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like this guy probably had a little bottle in the back. My car runs under9.000 in the 1/8. Maybe I can find this guy again or another one at the track. Thanks for the take on what the RSX Type S can do.

Rev

Torinalth 10-11-2002 09:10 PM

heh, I had an RSX and sold it for the GT. make no doubt they will haul ***, but they need to get to 6k RPM first. from a stand still a RSX will eat it except against another 4 banger. I dragged a stock auto 5.0 and almost beat it. they are great cars, but HAVE to get high into the RPM or they are hosed. from a roll they are very very quick and with no slip from the front wheels they will rocket around. my 02 GT is noticably faster, but a stock 5.0 will be upset when they dont rip apart this 4 banger.

he very well could have been stock especially if going 30 already. only things out are intakes and exhaust with some suspension mods. most people are timid about home doing a nitrous setup and nobody has done a nitrous kit yet for a RSX. they are just realy fast. I took a slightly modded WRX with just a friends injen intake.

Torinalth

Nitrous Al 10-12-2002 09:59 PM

The RSX is the "new" Integra Type R. I believe the engine that powers this ricer is a K20A inline four, i-VTEC, 11.5:1 compression, six speed, 2900lbs. I don't know the numbers, but a low to mid 14 second time slip can't be too far off. Ricers are sneaky, he could've been on the bottle or have a turbocharger. "The 5.0 Mustang is the Super Bowl Champion and everyone else wants a shot at the Champ!"

95mustanggt 10-13-2002 06:58 PM

I've played with a Type S and he was no match for me. All I have is 3.73's, pulleys and a couple other small goodies. I took the guy from a slow roll, a mid roll and highway speed. Must have be modded.

91LX2Bfast 10-13-2002 08:28 PM

Well, I have seen consistant 14.8's from one stock RSX-S at the track, and I think his trap was about 94.5, but don't quote me on that. I don't think you'll see low-mid 14's stock, but with some bolt on's and traction, I can see it happening.
The RSX Type S is not the "new" type R as they do offer a 220hp Type R in Japan and are expected to bring that to the states pretty soon. But I guess you are comparing the hp with the type R.
I don't think he had to be modded as you did pull a car lenth in only a 30-80mph run.