MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 10:26 PM   #1
HKstang
Registered Member

Post almost lost to a Lexus GS400

The roads were wet and I'm just about to reach my turn off for home when this guy in a Lexus GS400 makes a left turn right into my lane. I had to swerve around him and wound up in the wrong lane. when we pull up at the lights, this guy has the nerve to wave his arms at me. Anyway, I was pissed but I wasn't planning on racing so I just left the line a little quicker than usual. But then I heard his tires chirp so I floor it still in first. Needless to say, I spun like mad and we were even now both to the floor. I shift to second and he's still dead even. I didn't edge him till the top of third and even then I JUST did. It was really starting to piss me off. I crested a blind hill going about 160kmh (100mph) that I knew had a set of traffic lights right over it. Anyway, I gotta say, that Lexus 4 litre V8 is pretty ******* quick. I think it has close to 300 HP factory. I know the new GS430s have 320hp.

geoff
HKstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 12:33 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

First off, I guarantee that it was only that close cause of the rain, he's got more weight in his toyota, so he can grip more. Plus, feel good. That idiot paid 5k+ more for a camry with different body panels and some leather, needles to say he got ripped a new one, like all lexus owners! I'm not big on most luxury cars, cause they are really rip offs. I know many a person with mercedes and bmw's (the Ultimate Rudeness Machine), have ridden in them, and they aren't that comfy, or fast. Those things aren't worth their price, but lexus is just a total blatant ripoff, its a camry, or a protege, etc.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 10:51 AM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

My buddy has a '98 GS400 and it is a far cry from a reskinned Camry. Ohh, its a hell of a lot more then $5K+ more then a Camry. The car is just as nice as any BMW I have been in and it has performance that would surprise the hell of of you. Its not made to even tried to be compared to a Stang, or a Camry for that matter, so lets not go there. Trust me, if you drove one of these cars, you would absolutely fall in love w/ it.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 10:55 AM   #4
WHITECOBRAGIRL94
Registered Member

I always thought it would be a pretty cool family car. I don't know of many stock that have 300hp. So I would definately look at one if I had the money. I would not even compare it to a Mustang or other performance vehicle, but I would want a family car that goes it I want it to without the pedal all the way through the floor.
WHITECOBRAGIRL94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 12:25 PM   #5
R-MODEL
Registered Member

Yours is the typical story that I would expect, I get the same treatment from all those snob-mobiles that I encounter, what a bunch of morons!

------------------
1994 Mustang GT with 110K miles, ported cobra intake, ported edlebrock heads, 1 3/4" long tube, b303 cam, 2 chamber flowmasters, cobra-r wheels, cobra front brake kit, saleen wing, recaro seats, radar detector, etc.
R-MODEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 01:53 AM   #6
LincoConti87
Registered Member

I buy into the whole lexus/infiniti joke thing. I heard they are very nice riding and good performers and they are relaible. On the other hand I read a comment on Mercedes and Bmw's not being all that great. I don't know what type you have been in but there are some that a fox 5.0 have no business playing with and even some cobras. They are generally VERY reliable and very good performing for being passenger cars.Oh and I have an 89 190E 2.6...not the best performer but handles better than any non sports car I have driven and with 4 wheels disc brakes like a toyota corolla while weighing in at 3000 lbs. If you see a V12 badge beware.

------------------
Rob meister
87 Lincoln Continental
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 12:35 PM   #7
mmike

hey HKstang. Welcome the board. Where bouts in T.O. are you from. When the weather improves we should all hook up.
cheers
Old 03-05-2001, 01:52 PM   #8
inferno
The Instigator

A GS400 is no where near a Camry. First off, a GS400 is rear wheel drive. Second off, like mentioned earlier, it has almost 300hp from a 4.0liter V8. The ES300 is basically a rebadged Camry with more options standard. I don't like the luxury lines from any manufacturer. No need to have two(more in the case of the domestic camps) brand names to sale a car with the same options for a much higher price than the lower brand name car.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 08:28 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Those GS400s are definitely pretty fast for a luxury car. I actually got passed by one going up the hill before the tunnel on the way to San Francisco on the 101.
I say him coming on fast from behind and punched it - he did have an advantage since he came from behind already going fast, but he was able to pass me while I had it floored doing over 100mph. Most imports that try a flyby like that don't even get past my door (Integra GSR the other night for example)
I'm sure in the 1/4 it wouldn't be too tough to beat one, but on the highway I couldn't believe how fast it was.
Some of those new Cadillacs with the Northstar motor are pretty fast too. I raced one from a stop at a light - I spun pretty good in first and second, so I only took him by a couple cars up to 100.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 04:15 PM   #10
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Wink

Hey Blue thats a goodpoint. From personal experience I know my benz is geared for highway speed. With a 4 speed auto it tops out at 130 even with a granny gear for first. I can't even get it to go past like 20 in first gear before shiftin to 2. I believe all mercedes or most all to this day with auto trannies also start from a dead stop in second gear and will not engage first unless done manually with shifter by kickdown. It is a 16ish in quarter but thats because of the crappy gearing. From a 20-30 mph roll is the best acceleration. Mind you this is with second engine from the bottom 2.6 inline 6. The big 500's get Some nice V8s and top out at around 150ish. I don't even know what the newer ones are capable of.
One reason why some people might want a 50k car that performs like a 20k car is because of quality and reliability. My Mercedes has 132,000 miles on it and runs like new and has no squeaks or rattles. On the other hand My Lincoln I just got has only 35,000 miles on it and has more squeaks and rattles than you can shake 3 sticks at. Thats ford for ya

------------------
Rob meister
87 Lincoln Continental
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 06:05 PM   #11
smithbling
Registered Member

I remember racing (last summer)an SC400 on the highway. We went from 120KM/H - 190KM/H and I put about 4-5 cars on him. Very quick though!!

I also went a Cadillac STS 300 HP from a stop light and by 100KM/H I had 2-3 cars!

Don't underestimate the luxury mobiles. If they get the jump it's hard to catch up!

------------------
C ME FLY
88 Notch
MAC headers, H-pipe, and Chrome 2.5" pipes, pullies, K&N filter, BM shifter, 17" ROH ZR6, Dropped 1.5".
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 01:07 AM   #12
ricekilla
Registered Member

one of my friends freeway raced a gs400 before. he drives a 95 GT w/ all the basic bolt-ons. he said it stuck w/ him until 125-130 then he started pulling away. i know a chick that has a 00 GT that got smoked by a caddy sts!

------------------
71 vw bug, 1914 cc, 110 cam, counterbalanced crank, garret turbo, lowered on porsche alloys
ricekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 01:13 AM   #13
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

hmmm... did the chick know she was racing?

I got smoked by a mercedes, and only realized after what the e50 ment.

That thing eats Vets for lunch...
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote