MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-01-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Thumbs up Another One Bites the Dust!

Stage: 2 Lane Highway. Stoplight with 1/2 mile interval. Speed limit, 55mph.

Left Lane: Plymouth Barracuda. 340 Stickers. Observation, loud, cammed, old bias ply drag radials.

Right Lane: 1987 Mustang GT. 5spd, Hatch. Stock save for z spec T-5 (bad for launch), 2.5" hi flow BBK cats, 2.5" cat back, K&N panel. Just filled up.

Prediction: Old muscle car about to get a thorough *** whoopin.

I've observed 3 types of these muscle car guys. #1 Has been burned badly by 5.0 already, doesn't really want to go. #2 Has whooped 5.0, just waiting to tear a new one up. #3 Never raced a 5.0, expects to kill it because his engines big, and his buddy with a Civic beat one.

I picked this guy to be in category #3, he was eager to go. Now this is about 1/2 mile from the cop shop, so I'm scanning all over the place, lol. He's revvin and smiling.

Light turns green, he takes off quick, quicker than me, I'm hard on it. He's pullin me and by the time he begins to shift to 2nd, things are lookin pretty grim 1/2 deficit, and he was pulling. I pick up 5ft on his shift staying hard into the GT till the tach climbs, powershift 2nd. I pick up another 3ft. Now I'm only back by a fender or so, gaining ever so slowly. He has to hit 3rd, now we're even. I tach it up, powershift 3rd and pull ahead. I definately had the momentum after that, taking him by a fender to about 85mph.

As he catches up, no look over for a good 10sec, he's smiling no more. Hehe. Then he looks over, I give the thumbs up, he earned it if that bastard was near stock! He gave me the thumbs up back, appearently a cool guy who's let the loss go. He drops in behind me and begins to turn right, I slow way down, take the right turn figuring he's wanting to talk. I hit the right signal, pulling into the Holiday, the fuzz turning the corner, looking a little menacing, but 'Cuda guy goes straight. I was figuring he was looking to avoid a little heat, but he was really just trying to make it to GWill Liquors next lot over hehe.

I followed over there, had to know what he had.

Pulled up, store was just closing and we chatted. He asked what I had and I said "Stock 5.0", to which he replied "No fuckin WAY!" I had to pop the hood, he was just in disbelief.

He popped his hood, and there sits a 340 that's just perfect looking. 10.5:1 compression on the big MOPAR heads, high rise dual plane, .511/292 cam, Edelbrock 750 4 bbl with mechanicals, balanced, blueprinted, headers with wrap, aluminum radiator. Said he was running 110oct. He had full exhaust, Hemi tranny, CF/DF clutch, 3.73's in the back and bias ply drag radials. He wanted higher rpms, can he couldn't figure out why he couldn't get there, it was a hydrualic cam, and I told him that's why I figured he might be hitting a wall at 6500rpms.

Anyway, I beat him, mostly because of driving, but I think my car had a little edge on him too.

Cool guy, hopefully I don't get beat next time!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 11:45 PM   #2
jimberg
Registered Member

Unit, what road was that?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:09 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Cool, Unit. Nice Kill man. So, I guess that makes this guy a Catageroy 1 now.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:28 AM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:
#3 Never raced a 5.0, expects to kill it because his engines big, and his buddy with a Civic beat one.

LOL! So true. Nice kill!

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 07:30 AM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Nic kill unit, when I had my 96' firebird I raced a cuda and got my *** handed to me I felt bad about it till I seen him at the track running a 13.3 @107.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 07:19 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg:
Unit, what road was that?

Hwy 169 Southbound at Hayden Lake Road. (The Road after the Millpond/Elm Creek joining, and just before old Champlin Plaza. We turned right at 120th (Holiday Station), where I was greeted by a Champlin Squad turning right off Champlin Drive onto 120th directly in front of me, hehe.

Ahem... Now that I think about it, we didn't really race, and I don't think we ever got above 55mph, in case the Champlin Cops frequent this board, lol.

Old 08-02-2001, 07:30 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I almost forgot to mention, after we left G Will's, I took 117th Ave East and when I crossed Winnetka I was greated by a white Boss 302 pulling out in front of me about 500ft ahead. He was bein a little hard on it, and it was loud for sure. So I jumped the speed up to about 35ish in the 30 zone (not a good idea on that street) and caught up to him. I didn't know it was a Boss until he turned right and I saw the Boss 302 lettering on the fender. It was on then, especially when it was running like it had some serious cam and exhuast work. I switched from going straight and made a right, he was hard on the gas in front of me and I tromped it down. His tires squeeled a little, but I pulled on him like he was standing still. I got up behind him, very disappointed. I could tell he was backing off, he didn't want to run anymore, and I could hear it. It wasn't cammed, it was missing pretty bad, running like **** altogether. I wasn't even interested in getting a race out of him at that point. It wouldn't have been fair, and I have no desire to embarrass one of the coolest Mustang's ever built because it wasn't tuned right at the time.

Hopefully I'll see that car on the road again, this time running good and see what it's got.

It's really a shame to see it running like that. Maybe he just got it together and is working the bugs out of it? I don't think I've seen it around before.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:59 PM   #8
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

LOL, "hemi trans" ??? thats a good one.

Just watch out for a tuned up bigblock mopar, 383-440 challenger-cuda whatever, although nothing a mustang cant handle, but i seen these bb mopars tear it up around 11-12 sec 1/4's with just a cam, carb, and some open headers. nice kill though, a mechanical cam would have been a better choice, maybe he would have stayed up with ya then.

------------------
90 lx coupe: 175k miles, steeda water pump pully, hurst shifter, Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil, ADS chip, aluminum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 02:59 AM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:
...I've observed 3 types of these muscle car guys. #1 Has been burned badly by 5.0 already, doesn't really want to go. #2 Has whooped 5.0, just waiting to tear a new one up. #3 Never raced a 5.0, expects to kill it because his engines big, and his buddy with a Civic beat one...

So True!!

BTW good race (and good detail).

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 11:53 AM   #10
LincoConti87
Registered Member

If you are ever in Orlando and an loud purple roadrunner pulls next to you DON'T EVEN BOTHER...took my 89 mercedes to this guy's mercedes shop...has an old roadrunner sitting there with like 40k$ sunk into big blocked NOS-> crazy arse most likely under 10 second car. That engine was making more torque at idle than most hondas
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 10:48 PM   #11
bada$$lx

Cool

Go Unit.......Go Unit.......Go Unit! Nice run. It's always a huge rush to race old muscle, cause they're sweet lookin' and sound f'n mean

------------------
'90 LX 5.0;12K original miles (no sh*&);3.55 gears; March pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads;BBK 1 5/8" equal length shorties;MSD 6AL ignition w/ blaster 2 coil;FMS E303 cam;Pro-M 75mm MAF;BBK 70mm TB; Eibach drag-launch spring kit;Southside welded subs;K&N cone filter charger;Hurst shifter;Cervini's 3" turbo hood;A/C delete; gutted cats;2 chamber Flomasters;Corbeau racing seats;FMS 30# injectors;JMS chip; Holley 190lb fp;TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113 - 1.78 60')
Old 08-04-2001, 11:06 PM   #12
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by 90dpscoupe:
LOL, "hemi trans" ??? thats a good one.
I'm pretty sure what he meant was a hemi spec tranny. Obviously it would be crazy if his tranny had hemispherical valves!

[quote]Originally posted by LincoConti87:
If you are ever in Orlando and an loud purple roadrunner pulls next to you DON'T EVEN BOTHER

I never back down because you never know. Obviously my 87GT isn't gonna compete with a 10sec car, straight up, but you never know. He could blow a tranny, smoke a clutch, take out a rear end, drop a couple cylinders. Who knows. No excuses when you lose.

Old 08-05-2001, 02:57 AM   #13
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

lol, i know that, but i guess his smallblock has a bigblock hemi trans? well maybe....nevermind
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 12:49 AM   #14
1965GTO
Registered Member

An old muscle car did not get a whoopin in this case. Because an old muscle car is not what was raced. You should know that to be an old muscle car it would have to have a big block in it. That is why a 64GTO is a muscle car and a 1964 mustang with a 289 is not. A Barracuda with a 426 in it is a muscle car. Small blocks are good starter engines.
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:13 AM   #15
Kevin Price
Registered Member

1965GTO

So an old car with a small block is not a muscle car?? I love old big block cars, don't get me wrong. But for the most part big blocks are all bark and no bite. In 1992 my first car was a 69 SS 350 Camaro, factory stock original even down to the bias ply tires. I smoked several big block Chevelles, couple of Camaroes and a GTO. Even beat a 5.0 Mustang with NOS (although he was coming on strong at the end).

I am well aware that there is no replacement for displacement but it is incorrect to say that an old car is not a muscle car unless it has a big block. And small blocks are good starter engines?? Can't wait to see what the Pro 5.0 guys with their 7 second "starter engine small blocks" are going to step up to next.

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 09:47 AM   #16
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I have to agree here. Is a boss 302 Mustang not a muscle car?

To me a muscle car is any V8 pushrod engine powered car built back in the 60's and 70's.

I agree the Big blocks are cool, but they are not what only consitutes a muscle car.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by 95mustanggt (edited 08-10-2001).]
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 10:00 AM   #17
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Oh and good kill Unit.

I too...ah...never exceed the...er...speed limit when I drive my car

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 01:44 PM   #18
1965GTO
Registered Member

Since it was stated that he ran an (old) muscle car I just felt I had to point out that an old muscle car is an intermediate sized car with a big block of more than 350 cubes. I don't doubt that a 69 camaro with a stock 350 beat some big block chevelles with worn out 325horse 396's in them. Next time race a performance version of the big block in good running condition. I couldn't remember all the small blocks with a cam camaro's I beat with a stock 65 GTO 389 tri-power. Anyway the old definition of muscle car has changed and today it seems to mean performance car with a v8. And the stock smallblock of today is far more powerful than the (stock smallblock) in the old days. The best thing about the newer mustangs is they have the light weight of the mustang combined with the coilspring heavyduty rearend similiar to the GM A-body. Pro 5.0 guys running 7's probably consider stock small blocks of the carb days as starter motors too. They also know it would be easier to do what they do with a big block but then it wouldn't be pro 5.0 would it? Well don't they run bigger than 5.0 anyway?
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 02:08 PM   #19
StreetStang37
Registered Member

I've ran into a #2 before
One of my very few losses

------------------
1993 Mustang GT - March Ram Air & Pullies, K&N, C&L 73mm MAF, 3.73 Gears, Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2 in. High Flow H-Pipe & Cat Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, 16* Timing Advance, 8.5mm MSD Super Cunductor Plug Wires, Romoved front Sway Bar, Pro-Shift Lite, LX lights
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 03:18 PM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

With a big block of more than 350 cubes. So a big block with less than 350 or less cubes wouldn't be a Muscle Car? Did they actually make any small displacement "big blocks?"

Since it had "big" mopar heads on it, does that mean it's a big block? LOL. Maybe it was bored? Then it would be over 350 cubes.

Perhaps I can just correct the recall of the incident to suit your personal definition of "Muscle Car."

Quote:
Prediction: Old muscle car about to get a thorough *** whoopin.
Quote:
Prediction: Older, but not really old performance car with a model designation (Barracuda) that is sometimes considered a Muscle Car, built in the era of Muscle Car's with the equivelent or better performance than that of a Muscle Car, and meeting all the criteria of being a Muscle Car except for the engines technical displacement even though as far as I know it could have been a small displacement big block with big block parts, about to get an *** whoopin!
Ah the land of the politically correct.