MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-13-2000, 06:38 PM   #1
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Post Need some wiring help

Ok, I need to power something in my car, I don't want to say what it is, cause you would all laugh, anyhow, its 12 volts. Now, can I connect directly to the battery? Or will it affect something? Help me! Thanks in advance!

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 10:20 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

You can connect directly to the battery. Just use an inline fuse in the power line and make sure you ground the "something", too. Make sure you use the right amp fuse. You can also use the fuse box. There should be a few non-used slots that have power to them. You can be a deal that utilizes this space. It's a deal that attaches to one of the fuse prongs. When you stick the fuse in the fuse box one prong, the one the wire doesn't clip to, will be in contact with the power line to that space. The other prong will have the wire clipped to it and go to your "something". You can buy them at Wal-mart or where ever. They work really well. The wire has a "clip" on one end and clips to the fuse. I've done it both ways and the later way is much cleaner looking. Hope this helps. BTW, what are you putting in your car? Neon lights or something? A buddy of mine did that in his 95 T/A. One black light and two purple lights w/a black leather interior and the car was black. Looked pretty cool. The purple lights were up under the dash and the black light was positioned down the center of the T-tops.
------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers), 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 46,400 miles. $11,500

[This message has been edited by 96GTS (edited 09-14-2000).]
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2000, 04:33 PM   #3
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thanks 96GTS!!! Nope, no lights, nothing really major. I guess I'll tell ya if no one saiys something stupid. I am putting a cb radio in my car with a under dash attenta hook up. I am getting one cause I cannot afford a cell phone right now! Thanks again!

------------------
Old 09-15-2000, 08:58 PM   #4
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

I had a CB in my 87 GT for quite awhile. I've used it in my 96 too but most of the time it's in my truck. MUCH cheaper than a cell phone, I hear ya. Playin' CB tag is really fun, too. the best way to do that with the CB is go and get a cig lighter adapter to plug into the car cig lighter. Makes it easier to take in and out of the car. Choice two would be via the fuse box.

------------------
FOR SALE: 1996 Mustang GTS: 5-speed, K&N, removed air silencer, 3.73s, turndowns after stock H-pipe (no mufflers), 16 inch Mustang GT wheels; 46,400 miles. $11,500
Old 09-16-2000, 11:19 AM   #5
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Yup! I was gonna go through the cig lighter in the console. Well, my family thought it looked kinda dumb, and didn't like it sticking out there. So, thats why I asked about the fuse box. Yeah, I will follow your advice and run it through the fuse box. Makes me feel kinda good someone hada cb in there nice car too! What kinda antenna did u use?

------------------
Old 09-18-2000, 01:48 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Well, I've used a few. Do not use the rig that adapts to your stereo antenna and makes it work as also a CB antenna. Those things are a joke. For a while I used the type that look like a cell phone antenna. They don't have all that much range but look the best vs the other types of antennas. I've also had up to a 5 foot fiberglass antenna that had a range of a few hundred miles. Only used that one when playing CB tag, though. The problem with antennas is looks. I would get one that's a whip (thin wire) type antenna, one brand is Larson i think. K40 makes a good one, too. Mounts on an L-shaped bracket that will mount, for example, in the space (crack) between the trunk lid and fender or the hood and fender. Will basically look like a regular radio antenna. Like the one's you see on cop cars.

------------------