MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-14-2000, 11:21 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Post Anybody ever outright asked you to show them what your car can do?

It was okay the first time, but by the second and third time it got kinda freakin' annoying.
Okay, my girl (my Mustang) says she's thirsty, so I stop by Amoco to fill her up with some 93. After she's satisfied, this guy in this Camaro asks, "Hey what you got in that car?" I tell him, "351". He says, "Looks good" so I'm feelin kinda good. Then he asks "Push it a little when you leave here" so I say "Alright." Since he asked nicely, what the heck. I burn out of there and leave some vaporized rubber hovering over the street.
Now get this: Few days later, I go to same Amoco, the cashier asks me, "hey man, which way you leaving here?" I tell him and he says, "Man I wanna see what that car can do. My friend was working here a few days ago and told me that your car was real fast." I think to myself, "So what do you want me to do about it? Am I supposed to burn rubber everytime someone asks? You ain't buyin my gas, tires, paying my bills, etc." And this has happened other places too. Maybe I should tell them it's a piece of crap. I think I'm gonna have to start charging per smoke show.

Has this ever happened to any of you? What do YOU say or do?

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
Flowmasters (2 chamber)
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 11:34 PM   #2
Sac68
Registered Member

That happens to all Mustang owners!! People even used to ask me to light em up in my 2.3L LX.

When someone asks me, I usually ask them politely if they'll buy me new rear tires. No takers yet.

------------------
98 Mustang coupe 3.8L V6
87 Mustang GT hatchback 5.0L V8
87 Bronco XLT 4bbl 351W

My mom drives a 99 Mustang GT convertable.
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2000, 11:56 PM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

While in my 64 1/2 stang with the 289 with my friend that has the 66 Fairlane. We were sitting at a light next to a gas station. Some girls were sweatin the car, so me and Eric wave back. There boyfriends didnt like that, so they made rather rude comments about Fords (They were in a freakin Saturn). So the girls yell to show us what I she can Do.

The light turns green, I jsut floor it (its and auto) and spin throught the intersection, hook up and haul A$$. Swung back to the right and hauled butt back there way. When they saw me at the light they were waving and yellin. I put on another show. Had that ol 289 up to about 5000 Rpms (45 mph) in first. Hung a big second when it shifted into second, was going about 65 by the time we flew by them. They loved every bit of it. I've had other people ask me to show my cars stuff, but I'm tired of typing now and I'll tell of those later.

I wanted to swing back by and stop and tell the girls they should be riding in a real car, not a Saturn, but my friend Eric insisted that we not do that.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 08:20 AM   #4
spinemup
Registered Member

notice my handle -"spin em up"- i took that name because it seems everybody in town shouts that at me.

------------------

THE MIGHTY NOTCH
spinemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 12:02 PM   #5
Try Me
Registered Member

Cool

I get that ALL the time!
Normally i play along and give 'em a little squat and chirp to get 'em talking.
I mostly save it though when cute girls are "sweatin'" the car during rush hour traffic, that's the best time to light 'em up. Or when i'm at the Friday night street drags. Then it's all out craziness :-)

What turns me off is when people yell rude things after you've left a parking lot without having destoyed your tires... i ALWAYS pull a 360 and head back to ask them if they'd care to repeat themselves.
Nobody has yet to do that. Nor' have they ever been driving a cool car themselves either.
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 01:45 PM   #6
smithbling
Registered Member

I get that all the time from friends to McDonald's drive through part timers!

I always like to give em a show. HEHE!

------------------
C ME FLY

88 Coupe, riding on 17'z and Eibachz taking out Lambo's on the twisties.
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 05:02 PM   #7
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Thumbs up

I get it a lot too. The best was when i was leaving a small car show that is put on every month at a restaurant, and this old guy with a cherry 69 GTO said get on it a little as i was leaving. So i abliged and had every head at the show looking my way by the time i spun 3rd. I'm such an exibitionest Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 05:54 PM   #8
88GT5.013.02

I get that all the time, and I used to do it all the time until I noticed that the tires that I only have <10,000 miles on them are bald. Now I just say it won't spin 'em. I almost got out one time kicked some guys A**. I was in the Woodward Dream Cruise with my dad's 63-1/2 427 Galaxie. The motor is worth almost $10,000 and it starts to peak the 200 degree mark on the temp guage and I can feel the heat pouring off of the cast iron headers. So I go to turn off of this side street when this old drunk dude says I am not going to let you off of Woodward (he was standing in front of my car) until you do a burnout so I tell him that I am overheating, and he says "I don't care, then do a burnout and I'll let you off of the street". So I jump out of the car and give him a few choice words and basically tell him is he doesn't get out of my way I am going to mangle his body. He finally got out of the way. Can you believe the nerve of that guy.

------------------
88GT stock shortblock, ported GT-40 iron heads, ported Edlebrock Performer intake, 24# inj, Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAM, 3.73, hurst short throw, F-303, electric fan, alum rad, FMS HD clutch, R134a ac conversion, 70mm TB , and some other stuff I probably forgot, best run so far on ET streets is 13.02@106 with a 1.87 60ft.
Old 12-15-2000, 08:15 PM   #9
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

I don't know what any of you guys are talking about! Nobody's ever asked me to show 'em what it's got!

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B+M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2000, 11:36 PM   #10
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

I feel you guys. Everytime I get gas, someone gives me a nod or a complement on the car. Today, this astro van full of ghetto looking guys were all gawking at the car, and when I left the lot, they yelled "hit it." I didn't though, because complements are cool, but ruining my tires and risking jail are not worth it to impress guys. Girls, on the other hand....

------------------
2000 GT
Black w/Black Leather
Stock as a Rock
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 11:17 AM   #11
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I got that too when I had my Stang. I had just got new tires and my offroad H-pipe put on and after the mechanic took it off the lift, he was like "yo dude, smoke em up." I told him had to be one dumb son-of-a-bit*h it he thought I was gonna smoke up $800 worth of 5 minute old tires. I did end up giving him a quick ride so we could hear the exhaust though and he was stoaked.
Gas stations were the worst though. Every body looks when they hear you rumble up. Then you would have people coming to talk about your car (which isn't bad considering how many a**holes there are, its cool to talk to nice people.) I DO miss the fun of my mustang.

------------------
1997 Thunderbird 4.6L: Black w/ grey leather Ram Air w/ K&N, FMS U/D pulleys, FMS 9mm wires Soon: custom exhaust, custom burned "Inject tech" chip, trans-go shift kit, 28,000GVW trans-cooler

No Longer own: 91 LX 5.0L 5 spd Red w/ black interior
2 chamber flowmasters, Bassani off-road X-pipe, MAC cold air induction, Kirban short throw, Heavy duty 3 core radiator, FMS 3:73's, Timing bump to 14 degrees, SRP billet racing pedals, Kenwood sound system
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 11:38 AM   #12
dirtyGT
Registered Member

Wink

I get that alot too but if they catch me in the right mood i'll give them a little show but if they ask me on the main street or somewhere that cops hang i ask them if they will pay the ticket

------------------
86GT-MACcatback-89heads,intake,TB,KENNYBROWNsubs,3.73's,HURST shifter,much more to come
dirtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 03:58 PM   #13
teal93LX
Registered Member

my girlfirend;s kid (12 yrs old) asks me to "peel out" every time i leave, and of course i do, so he'll think i'm "cool" (kids seem to respect cool)..especially since i dont catch too many races i'm always ready to haul a$$ anyway

------------------
stock aod (only mod is the .38 with hollows on the passenger seat for the jackers) waiting for relatives to die for money for mods...
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 04:12 PM   #14
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Last night, riding my friend home at 1:30 am, I am sitting at the light when a cherokee pulls along side. I look over and then look away thinking nothing. Next thing I know I hear this guys engine at about redline trying to get my attention. Needless to say, the light turned and he flew off onto the residential street we were headed for. Man, how stupid was this guy to think I'd race...let's see...we are going into residential neighborhoods with 25mph speed limits and this guy wants to race through them. Some people just don't think about the consequences of their actions.

------------------

91 GT AOD
Ultra Blue Metallic
3.73's, flows,
PI Converter, 14.71@91.78mph

Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 06:03 PM   #15
FivepointOH
Registered Member

People ask me to do burnouts a lot, or everytime a new person rides in my car and we are at a light they say, "let's see what's she's got, show me what it can do, etc". My car feels slow to me though so I just say nah it's too slow.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 08:01 PM   #16
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thanks for the replies. You all kinda gave me a different view about this topic (looking at it in a more positive way). I guess when I start making a little more money to devote towards the car, I'll think about obliging more people. Don't get me wrong, I definitely do not get an attitude or act like a snob toward the people who ask me (snobs piss me off), I was just kinda gettin annoyed with it because it seems as if those who requested a smoke show never considered the cost of MY engine repairs or tire replacements.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
Flowmasters (2 chamber)
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2000, 09:58 PM   #17
Sac68
Registered Member

Talking

Wow, someone's actually from Pittsburg (StangCrazy)!!

And this is the funny part...last Tuesday night, some guy in a Cherokee tried to race me in my GT on RT 28 north! It was green...and I messed with him a little bit too...

You've probably seen me around...all white 87 GT, all white 98 V6, or my moms green w/white top 99 35th anniversary GT convertible.

Do you ever race down in Crafton? Maybe I'll see you down there.

------------------
98 Mustang coupe 3.8L V6
87 Mustang GT hatchback 5.0L V8
87 Bronco XLT 4bbl 351W

My mom drives a 99 Mustang GT convertable.
Sac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 02:39 AM   #18
AxemanZZ
Registered Member

I get hit up for tires smoke all the time. These kids in the parking lots hanging out always insist on a burnout. I had one kid yell at me one day to light em up and I was feeling a little cocky, so i gunned it and took off down a side street before the cops who were a block away could figure out where it came from. I'm pretty sure they knew who did it though because nearly every time I go through that little town now I get followed by the local Barney Fife. I've tried to avoid breaking my tires loose since I put the new tires on, but here in another few months, lookout! They should be in prime condition for laying down some rubber.

------------------
90 Mustang LX 5.0
My Ride*My Site

[This message has been edited by AxemanZZ (edited 12-17-2000).]
AxemanZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2000, 12:31 PM   #19
Special K
Registered Member

Thats the downside of having a Mustang... everybody want to race you or see you punch it..

------------------

And my R.I.P. stang
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 10:21 AM   #20
Try Me
Registered Member

That's hardly a "down side"..
:-)
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote