View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001, 03:40 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Talking First time at track for me

Well, it was definitely an awakening experience.
I went to Sacramento Raceway last night. It was my first time at the track. I get there, no one tells me how to stage, or what to do or anything, so I wait in the lanes till I get up to the line. The lady tells me, "Left lane, right now." So I pull up, driving straight through the Water box. The guy yelled at me, so I told him it was my first time out. I then notice I'm lined up against a car that looks pretty damn fast. It was like a 50's bel air, I think, tubbed, loud as hell, etc etc. I stage, then the guy tells me to pull up a little more, so I do, and then I do some more, setting the red light off. The bel air takes off, I sit there like an idiot, and the guy just yells, "go, man!" So I take off, and end up running an 18.65 @ 97.19. I sat at the line for about 4 seconds. My 60' was 6.42!!

By the way, the bel air ran a 10.06 @ 133.07!

I ran one more time, even though the crowd was laughing at me the first time. This time, I staged right, didnt redlight, but my reaction time was 1.32. I ran a 14.52 @ 96.56. The old school camaro I faced that time ran a 12.69 @ 109. All in all, I know the car is capable of low 14's, but I just made the 80 mile trip up when I made the 2 passes, so the car was really hot. Also, I made the runs in the afternoon, when It was still in the mid 80 degree range.

There were a lot of really old, crappy looking cars there that were running 10's and 11's, but most of the new camaro's and mustangs and such were turning high 13's to mid 14's. There was a Z06 there that ran a 12.4!!

Basically, I never realized just how much driver skill means as far as running good times. Thanks for reading.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Bassani X-pipe, Magnaflow Mufflers, Steeda Pulleys, K&N Filter. Steeda Weld in Subframes, Strut Tower brace, Sport Springs, Caster/Camber Plates.

Red 1994 Mustang Cobra #4343
Pulleys, Shorty Headers, K&N filter, short throw shifter.
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote