View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 02:01 AM   #18
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

Default Re: Bad Racing Bust Need Advice

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
Bear with me as the description of the road I'm on is tough to describe. I exit off a raised highway and the exit I get off of ends up turning into a very sharp U turn underneith the support structures of the highway I came off of. I basically exit down off the highway and end up doing a U turn between the concrete structure which supports the highway above. Now I'm basically driving down a road with a 30 foot high wall of concrete on each This is only about 200 yards of straightway and ends in a stop sign. I stop, make my right turn and am going about 10 miles an hour when a cop comes flying around the corner in front of me, blocks my car and jumps out and when I ask him what's up he actually doesn't have an answer, he just sort of starts to stammer. He finally gets out that I must have been going 70 mph back there. I tell him there no way I was. He heads back to his car for about 15 minutes and eventually comes back and give me a ticket for, "Racing and spinning the wheels from a stop". Those are the exact words on the ticket. I told him there is no way he saw me, because I sure as heck did not see him, and he did not pull me over from the rear, he actually came from around the corner in front of me. I said he must have heard something but could not have seen me doing anything. I think this ticket is so bogus because 1. there were no other cars even in sight of me so how could I be "racing" and 2. I never even came close to a stop in order to spin my wheels. I know he must have heard me and I'm sure it was pretty loud from echoing underneith the highway and bridge structures. Anyways I'll be taking this to court, any opinions on what I can expect?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i dunno bout the whole "racing ticket"... very bogus from your description of the incident. he might have really gotten you for several other things but only told you the racing , cause he figures yer jus some punk *** street racer an wouldn't catch him.
other possible scenarios could be:

wreckless endangerment (gunning the engine, smokin tires, street antics etc.)

failure to stop at sign (really fickle, an very subjective to different municipal codes)how long is a "stop?"

excessive speeding (45 down an off ramp is kinda fast, usually about 25-30 is about speed for exiting (not really sure about posted limits on various off ramps, around here there anywhere from 25-45)( again fickle.. cause nobody obeys it unless theres a cop around)

depending on the cops vicinity to your "exhaust test" on the other side of the wall an the doppler effect of the car drivin by.. its kinda hard to tell ya what he might have heard. all the sound bouncin off the walls would make it incredibly loud,(plus am pipes an mufflers) in a confined space like that. factor in other traffic exiting behind you, noise from the freeway above you, noise on the street beside in and around the cop..an i'm surprised he heard anything at all...or didn't, as the case would appear

4.6's have real deep distinct tones, a good set of am mufflers an pipes ya can hear them several blocks away and that jus gonna amplify a thousand times over, bouncin off the sides of 60 feet of concrete in a tunnel-like passage with high side walls.

my guess would have to be, he heard somthin , thought he had an airtight case, an went in for the kill. pics of rubber on the road of the off ramp(matching your car) would cinch his case. there being none, he really dosen't have a case for racing as there are no tiremarks in the said vicinity that match your car's and (for as long as I can remember) racing involves another car, an there is none. you didn't see him an he didn't see you (unless he can look through concrete) he went in on an instinct, but was tripped up by the details that support his case...

hope his helps some.

1994 GT 5.0l
0h n0 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote