View Single Post
Old 10-15-2001, 09:22 AM   #17
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hey Unit,
You're a bud, but I gotta defend my plane (F-14) against the Air Force...

Quote:
The F14 is heavy and doggish when compared next to the F15
Somewhat correct: The F-14 is heavier, and is a bit behind when considering turn rate\radius when slick (no externals)

Quote:
the F15 is more proven than the F14 anyway.
Incorrect: Both aircraft are extremely capable\reliable machines. The F-14 has been the mainstay fleet defender for nearly 30 years. Other than an issue with the original TF-30 engines on the F-14A, there have been no glaring issues.

Quote:
The F15, although an air superiority fighter, is equally at home bombing the **** out of stuff. That's due to it's 30,000lb payload capacity.
Ever heard of the Bombcat?
Bombs were strapped on the Tomcat as early as 1972 to demonstrate its capability. Nearly 15,000lb of payload capacity, and carries Laser Guided bombs when equipped with a LANTIRN pod... several squadrons
have beem operating this aircraft regularly since 1995....

Quote:
I think it's more fair to point out the F15 can actually accelerate through MACH 1 going straight up.
True: with no stores...

Things the F-14 has OVER the Eagle:
Greater radar capability
AWG-9 specifics are still classified, but it easily sees over 115 miles...
Greater engagement range (over 100 miles with the Phoenix missle)

and just to let you know, when we played with the Air Force over at Nellis (Red Flag), the Tomcats gave as good as they got against the Eagles in the close-in air combat arena (ACM). Plus they couldn't use their long range Phoenix capability... (We were defending...)

I won't argue that the Eagle is on heck of an aircraft, but don't direspect the cat... she's got some claws...

------------------
Adam "Hammer" Packett:
Moderator, Gulf War Veteran
GO GET 'EM BOYS!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote