MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-24-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Default Blown Cobra

I am in the final stages of getting my 99 Cobra supercharged. In that, I mean, I have finally pulled the money together. I decided to go with a Vortch supercharger that claims to be able to boost up to 490HP with the aftercooler. Sure this is $6000 without cost of install, but hey, when you want to do something, do it right. Right? I'm putting on a Borla cat-back also. Anything I absolutely need to not blow myself up? I seem to talk about this stuff a lot, but know only a fraction of what I should. I'm still learning. Any hints??

Oh yeah, I want to put the Cobra R windsplitter front facia on after I supercharge. Does anyone know the cost of installation and painting of stuff like that, on average??

Hey thanks guys for your help!! If anyone wants, when I'm done with the mods, I'll post a picture.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default what are your mods?

what mods do you have? 490 HP.... that is alot of power. list all your mods, because if you have none. there are definitely things you need to do if you havent made any mods yet.
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Red face embarassed to tell you: none yet

Cool, this is the kind of reply I was looking for! Yeah, it seems like a lot. I only have about $8000, so I was thinking about getting the supercharger out of the way. I have no mods, but someone told me that having a Cobra (and its race-like parts) should be fine for now. Were they wrong? I realize that stock parts are not ideal, but this person said that I should be ok up to somewhere around that range. But, unfortunately, so many people falsely claim that they are experts that it is hard to find a real one. So, if you have time, give your view. I'll look forward to any advice, and try not to rip me a new one! (Stuff like brakes, new rear suspension, rear gears, fuel pump, and what not are all things I want to do, but I'm by no means wealthy.) What should I do first? Do you think that I should stop around 430-450HP (that's if I don't purchase an aftercooler, supposedly)?

Don't ask my why I want to do this, I have no rational explanation. I have already killed all the Rice Burners with their fart cans in my area. Maybe I'm sick of being intimidated by that Camero SS

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-24-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Sounds like your on the right track.

Things that I would do would be rear gears (not sure which ratio with a Cobra on boost), complete exhaust including headers, highflow x/h pipe (this would help alot), a shifter (got to save the tranny), and a K&N air filter (this one is basic).

Not sure what's going to happen if you put that much power through the car. I don't know what the week points are.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Default i broke the stock rear end

i did all the bolt on's and sprayed my cobra all the time...street and track... i broke the rear. in the middle of a pass.... first...second... into third.... rev... no power... pieces of my car all over the track. got a broken bumper from the tow too. 4:10s are the most bang for your buck. you seriously might want to make some easy mods before going with the supercharger especially if you anticipate somewhere around 490hp at the wheels. if you can drive that is sick power and you will walk away from almost all cars on the cars on the street. and you might wanna think about a roll cage if you are serious about racing. hey, with this new power watch out for trees...hehehe... i had a boy get a twin turbo setup and run into a tree playing around... it was too much for him and he underestimated the power.
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:53 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You need to post this in modular madness.

You're going to blow your half shafts on the IRS to pieces. I'll tell you that much right now. I know some Cobra owners experience rod problems under boost, and burned pistons. The guys in Modular can help a lot more than us, though.

Good luck man! Those Cobra's are 11sec cars with blowers.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 07:50 AM   #7
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Hey thanks for the help, I'll go ahead and post this in mod madness. But if anyone else wants to give advice here, I will definately take it to heart. The responces you guys gave are great! Thanks . Haha, in respect to the trees, there aren't too many around where I live, it'll probably just be a mailbox and a house or something . I have a limited amount of time to get this supercharger in before I start using my big bucks on other things, sadly. So, maybe I shouldn't put it in? But if not now, maybe never. I'm going back to school and am going to be paying big bucks . I'm not in debt now, haha. Thanks again guys!!!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

With a Vortech running 8-10 lbs and a quality fuel system you cobra would easily reach 400 rwhp. That would put you very close to the 490 hp advertised, which I'm sure is probably crank hp anyway. The 4V and 2V motors really respond well to boost, I mean really, really well. If they had a turbo kit out yet for the 4V cobra's, the 5.0 would go in storage.

Oh, don't forget a good quality tune from a reparable shop.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:17 AM   #9
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Yeah, at first I was thinking 490 at the wheel, but then thought that it was most likely at the crank. I plan on finding a place to get a dyno test done, preferredly before and after installation. I have the 99 Cobra, and even though they said that it is the 320HP engine, there was that little mess up with some of the claimed horsepower (I believe it was the 99's). Yeah, I think its a good call to go with a Vortech, and I'll probably just run at 8lbs of boost. Thanks!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: