MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
mcompton
Registered Member

Question chance to buy....what to look for (long)

OK,
here is the deal. I know most of you seem to like the newer stangs....but i have the chance to buy an '82 GT.

The body is real solid.....no rust that I can see. (this being the biggest plus on the car)

Car has a decent body. still needs some work...but it is decent.

The interior is shot...2 different colored front seats, the consol is only 1/2 there...carpet is almost nonexistant. doors, dash, trim on pillars etc is pretty much all ok.

no idea on how many miles. odometer shows 40,000....who knows how many times that has gone over.

Engine starts and runs, car moves in 1st and reverse...but have not driven it. (left rear tire held on my one lug nut (3 studs look broken)...front tires each have 2 (other studs seem ok at first look)

Car has '83 throttle body and 4 bbl carb (dunno if carb is also from '83) engine compartment looks like a mad house....wires all over the place. looks as though there was an electrical prob and he opened all the wiring harnesses.

apparently owner could not figure out why car would not start....has new dist cap...rotor...coil, plugs, wires, starter, and selenoid. (car did not start because a gasket was on backwards in the carb blocking fuel)

dipstick tube for oil missing. Seems to be leaking a little but dont know if this is from hole where dipstick is missing or not.

Last fun problem....no title. (Car was auctioned becasue someone left it in storage and never paid the bill....storage company auctioned it) I can get a title through one of those companies, so I am not THAT worried abou that....but it helps make it cheep...lol.

SO. What do I really need to look for. Anyone know if finding a new wiring harness is that hard? What are the hidden defects that I can look for easily? Any advice?

I can get it CHEEP. but it has to be for all the work it needs...lol.

Thanks.
mcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
toevil1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Do not buy that piece of junk even if it is free. You would have to pay a junk yard to take that car off your hands. By the time you finish fixing all the problems with that car, you will have spent enough money to buy two 82 GT's.

Save up your money and buy a decent one. Low 80's mustangs are dime dozen.
toevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 AM   #3
PKRWUD

I agree. That's nothing more than a bad parts car.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #4
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

agree here too! by the time you get done with that, you would have spent enough to buy a sn95 mustang. on top of that, when you do get it moving it will most likely nickel and dime you till your blue in the face.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote