MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2001, 08:36 AM   #1
SidiousV
Registered Member

Talking FiveOh Convertible runs Big Block Camaro

For those of you who know me, you may have read some of my 'stang races on other sites. This is probably my favorite. Anyways, I'd like to say hello to all ya'll *** kickin' Mustang enthusiasts.

When driving the 5.0, I'm less on the lookout for a 4N to stomp than I am nostalgic muscle. This shouldn't be taken as an insult, however, as I also own a '68 Buick GS-350 that makes about 425 horses. Still, it ain't the same as the 5 oh. The 5 oh has attitude, and if you haven't noticed, everyone on the road wants to run one. It's just the way it is. Wether or not you want to admit it (Even though you do everytime you write about a 5.0 race, ha ha!), the 5 oh is the benchmark by which all modern day street performance is benchmarked. Obviously, and even the guys driving '70 SS 396 Camaros think so. Let me show you.

During my lunch hour I decided to head up to Northridge Mall on the north side of Milwaukee. Looking down the road, I noted what appeared to be an orange, second generation Camaro with the fattest meats I've ever seen stickin' out the wheel wells of a car. I mean, the wheels looked like the bottom of a steam-roller, and I was pondering asking him to come smooth my driveway later in the afternoon. So I step on the gas to catch up to him on the off ramp from 76th. The ramp turns into a two laner, so I edged up beside him in hopes of getting a run on Brown Deer Rd. While sitting at the light, I listened to what sounded like a pretty healthy powerplant and a cam with some pretty good duration. I looked at the fender emblems and saw SS/396. Now I'm thinkin', "Oh $hit." Yeah, my 5.0 is pretty stout (engine bored, balanced, blueprinted, 500 lift cam, polished and ported heads, MSD-6AL ignition, full exhaust, intake, etc.), but the Camaro sounds much better than it would stock. A stock 70 Camaro SS/396 - 375 turns mid 13's. Not stock, who knows!

So we make the turn and the guy guns it a little bit. His front end gives a little lift, but I'm dauntless. I look at the driver and he snears at me. From the looks of him he works at the quicky lube and likes to pick the left nostril of his nose which is ringed with oil. Nasty. Yeah, we're gonna' do this. I give him my wry "I'm gonna smoke you cuz that's what dicks in 5.0s do" look as I rev and let him listen to my 2.5" flowmasters. I know I'm mid-low 12's. Let's see what the Big Block Chevy's got with his big A$$ED hillbilly meats and "Grabber" puke orange paint.

We're both watching the adjacent lights go yellow, and the revving begins. We're both thundering away and a surreal echo seems to resonate beneath the bridge behind. Two real preformance cars about to duke it out. I look at the codger in the Olds Delta 88 behind me, and he shakes his head. Suddenly the Camaro lurches forward a little bit before the green. He's break standing! Dude must be sitting on an Automatic with either no or a real small stall converter! That helps.

The green comes and tires are shrieking as we launch. I get a good little holeshot because dude gets a little over excited and stomps it way too hard. Before shifting I check the rearview and anything that was behind us is covered in a white plume of smoke. Damn, musta' sucked to be the guy sittin' back there in his Olds Delta 88, ha ha! My eyes shift to the tach and I'm at 6300 when I pop second, maybe a fraction of a moment after his shift kit pops the next gear. I've had about 3/4's of a car lead with my hole shot, and I'm thinkin' that's all I'm gonna' get. I know the 5.0 probably won't hold the top-end charge of a big block, but if I can keep him up to 85, I can probably take him to the next light! He must be runnin'pretty short gears, because his trans nails it again with a good little squelch way before I'm ready to rip 3rd. I grab a little more lead by his tranny, and run it up over my red-line when I nail third and put 306 inches back in the midst of the best of my powerband. He begins a hard charge and makes up what seems to be inches a second. I see his front bumper slightly edging up my door! Phucker! I can hold this. I'm looking on as we're flying by the shopping mall, and I'm stunned by what I see before my eyes.....

Some old bat has decided to creep her Buick LeSabre across the road at like 2MPH! She begins making her way into my lane and I slam the breaks screaming "PHAAAACK!" Mr Quicky Lube keeps on the gas and just barely escapes getting clipped by the A$$ of my car sliding to the inside of the lane, the nose of my car looking at the curb. I skid, get off the break and straighten out, then put the nose of the car into the ground with the breaks again! I watch the SS jerk to the left to get out of the way of Gramma'. The Camaro bounces its left tires off the curb and comes down! Dude's head musta' hit the roof! He goes by the Buick with only inches to spare inches as gramma stops in the middle of the road. I guess she realized something bad was about to happen.

A cloud of smoke seems to surround us, whooshing over the back of my car with the wind. There's nothing but silence, and the pounding of my heart. When it clears, the Camaro guy is gone, and the old lady is shaking her finger at me. I'm plastered in my seat, and have to pry my fingers from the wheel. Damn, that sucked.
I probably could have taken that dude to the next light. I had the lead and a pretty good hold. Oh well. I'm just hopin' that phuck didn't count me as a win. HA! This is the stupid $hit that goes through a street racer's mind when I shoulda' been thinkin' about almost offing myself and someone's mom.

I threw it in reverse, backed up a bit, drove around Gramma, and back to work.

After that, lunch really didn't feel like it would settle too well.

------------------
"Humans define their reality through misery and suffering..."
How's clever workin' out for ya'?
SidiousV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 08:55 AM   #2
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Good story. Enjoyed it.

Hey, and welcome to the board.

--nathan

------------------
--silver_pilate

'91 GT, Built 306, Wolverine 1087 cam, ported Windsor Jr. Irons, and all the goodies...click the link to the left to see a full list of my mods...

Tried and True 302 Being Built to Outrun You! heh heh heh...
--Texas Panhandle--
Check out my site
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2001, 10:35 AM   #3
SkarodoM
Registered Member

Cool

bout time sid ; )

Phil
Jerico Performance
SkarodoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 07:36 PM   #4
84stangLX

Bad @ss story man....i was glued to the screen! that kinda stuff is scary when it happens, man it's a good thing no one got hurt or vehicles destroyed.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:27 PM   #5
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Talking

Very good story, very well written.

------------------
KidNotch4793
1993 LX 5.0 Notchback
Eddlebrock intake,K&N, 70mm,Underdrive pullies, Jacobson ignition, Borla,3:73's, Subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Centerforce, Saleen Wing, Cobra Badges.
KidNotch4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 04:26 PM   #6
Fostang
Registered Member

I saw one mean sounding big block chevelle yesterday. He was pulling out of Shell. It was primered had a roll bar monster tach and no hood. I peeked over because I was in my friends truck and saw a very healthy looking 396 engine. He probably was running at 2500 rpm and it sounded pretty bad and loud but too much noise and not going anywhere. He began to fall back and another truck behind us started reving at him. We were about 4 car lenght ahead when I hear something similar to thunder and I look back and there is a lot of smoke and he's fish tailing all the way up to us and then he slows back down. I don't think it was a stick shift either. That car must have some serious horse power to be able to fish tail at 50 mph. Then the guy in the track having his *** handed to him comes up to us and try's doing the same thing. Big mistake we handed him another chunk of his *** .

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 06:09 AM   #7
69fastback
IRAQ VET

very cool story that must have been scary as hell

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 11:33 AM   #8
SidiousV
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies. This is a great board! And you guys rock. But then, 'stangers do!

'84stangLX AND 69Fastback.....yeah, I was a little freaked. Y'know how it is. To me, when I get running, it doesn't even feel like I'm moving if the guy next to me is about equal. All I see is the other car, wherever he is next to me, and that's it. I'm not aware of mph or much else. I guess I'm concious of what's going on in front of me, for the most part, otherwise I'd be gone! Ha ha. It's entrancing to be in that close of a run.

FOSTANG: yeah, love racing the old school stuff, and that's not an insult, because I own 3 older muscle cars. I used to look for big blocks to run all the time. Dunno' why. Prolly just the braggin' rights. Got ma' butt handed to me though by a 78 or so camaro with a 454 and a roots type blower stickin' out of the hood. I actually had the better reaction time and surprised him out of the hole, pretty much ran him half way out through second...then he pulled through and started to pull pretty nice. Oh well.

SidiousV is offline   Reply With Quote