MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2001, 05:49 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Red face Close Call

As I was approaching a red light, I see a taurus darting through traffic, and then lines up next to me. I didnt rev at him, and I didnt even look over. It was the middle of town, and there was some traffic. Anyway, the light goes green, and this guy peels out (sort of) and takes off, so I quickly got in the mood and I gunned it. I passed him at about 65, (in a 45) and then started to slow down.
When I glanced in my rearview, this guy was shaking his finger, like "no, no, no..."
At the next light, I did look over at him, and it was a cop! Needless to say, I took it VERY easy the rest of the way home, and he sped off like crazy.
The taurus was green, not white, and it was definitely unmarked. Could this guy have pulled my over, or was he in the wrong too??!!? It was scary.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 06:48 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Red face

Although he was technically in the wrong (unreasonable acceleration) yes, he could have probably busted you.

If he was off duty I'm sure he could have called a buddy to pull you over, I don't know how much they can do when they are not on duty.

Pretty lucky, hehe.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 08:08 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

StoplightWarrior,

Most likely, he was on his way home in his regular car (off duty) and just had his deputy clothes on. This is the most likely answer b/c if you knew he was a cop, then he was probably wearing a uniform: MOST cops in unmarked cars don't wear uniforms (that'd be kinda dumb), so it wasn't an unmarked car. And no, he most likely could not have called anyone to get you (any more than anyone else). He was off duty and they are not supposed to exercise their power when off duty.

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of the Nerds

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55:1 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4" K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Smile

In that case, Thanks be to the LOrd!!
Old 02-19-2001, 11:19 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Don't get too cocky though. He could make trouble for you if he sees ya screwin around while he's on duty....

"because, no one’s really gonna be free until nerd persecution ends." ---Revenge of the Nerds
-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55:1 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4" K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:27 AM   #6
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

That's a great point, but I usually don't street race up here, (Im away at school right now). Most of my races come when Im back in the East Bay. But yeah, hopefully he wont see me doing something minor, and then pull me over for some bull****.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:17 AM   #7
84stang83zephyr

Damn cops do crap like that all the time where i live. (unmarked personal cars). I got busted for peeling out in an empty parking lot when i stopped at a theater and the cop got out of his Explorer and screwed with me (He saw me from a nearby road and followed me). It's also happened to my friends....either bad luck or evil cops...or both!
Old 02-20-2001, 09:08 AM   #8
smithbling
Registered Member

I had a similar experience like that 2 weeks ago. I saw a newer black Taurus weave through traffic and get beside me at the light in the squeeze lane. At the time I am in my dad's 95 Caravan, which is pretty snappy off the line! I am thinking full throttle willmake him floor it or get behind me. Just before the light goes he puts on his lights and guns through the intersection. Lucky for me!

------------------
C ME FLY
88 coupe = MAC headers, H-pipe, and Chrome 2.5" pipes, pullies, K&N filter, BM shifter, 17" ROH ZR6, Dropped 1.5".
smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 09:36 AM   #9
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

He was probably one of the 1 out of 10 cool cops around. He probably just wanted to see you go, but didn't want you going 20 over.

BUT, if he is racing, and pulls you over?? Yes he can do it...cops can do anything and get away with it.

------------------
Dustin
1993 Cobra #1926

Bassani Full lengths,Bassani short X-pipe, American thunder Cat back, 3.55's. More to come...
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:48 PM   #10
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

I raced a slomaro one night and after I had him by 4 cars he laid back and just went bye down the road. I saw the guy a couple weeks later and he was wearing a cop uniform. He asked me how my car was running and told me he was out that night to have a little fun, but to be carful. So some cops are cool, they are all just guys and gals like us but some bad cops give them all a bad name. I have had many run in's with the BAD cops in my area busting me for stupid inspection type stuff, I feel some days they have nothing to do. There is a State Trooper that lives down my street he has a blown 96-97 vert and frequently is out cruising on the weekends, he's a real nice guys and does a little racing of his own but always tells everybody to be careful and smart about things...

------------------
My Ride Check Out My Site 91GT, Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60",Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes, 2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe, 2 1/2" cat back, 12" K&N Filter, RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air, Ron Davis Radiator, Full Suspension,3:73's, Welds, Best on new motor-12.60 @ 108, no traction 1.98
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2001, 12:59 PM   #11
dinomite
The Dude

Ya, SOME cops are cool, the guy who runs the north va mustang club is a cop. But the thing is that most cops are just complete assholes if you fit into groups of people that they don't like. They can do just about anything and get away with it, cause its very hard to prove that they did something wrong, plus if the cop doesn't like you, a judge probably won't either.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote