MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
musrcng
Registered Member

Default cobra vs ferrari

I am in the Air Force and currently stationed in Korea. I was recently home on my mid-tour and playing with my stang. I needed a new brake line so I jumped in the wifes car(a worked over 96 SHO) and off to the parts store I went. I came around a corner and what did I see? An AC Cobra, I was zoned on it That fire engine red, I couldn't take my eyes off it. So here I am sitting behind him at a red light drooling, when he starts revving it up. Next I hear a obvious import start revving. I look over and there is a Ferrari 550 Maranello. I looked at the Cobra and I saw the driver was an older man, and I thought he wont do it. Well I decided I was gonna be ready for this anyway, I figured at least I had the sho and not my truck, so if it happened I could get a good chase scene. Well the light changed and that guy in the Cobra was ready. They launched and it was un believeable. I swear I say the hood of that Cobra from behind. The 550 gave it all he had, but he only had about two or three seconds before he knew it was a losing battle. They both walked away and my wife's SHO is no slouch but that damn Cobra was gone. I only hope I can find that guy again someday and talk to him and if I'm lucky ride in that car.
musrcng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
bobtodd
Registered Member

Those Cobra's are awesome!! If I could ride in any car, that would be it. A light weight car with the power of a 427 under it...awesome!!
91 LX - 10.5:1 pistons, ported 289 heads, Ultradyne 588 cam, Cobra upper/lower, MSD, JBA long tube headers, Flowmaster, Richmond 4:10, roll cage, monster tach...FUN!!

95 SHO - K&N filter
bobtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
Rosco
Registered Member

I have an older friend that owns a restaurant in my area. Now this isn't the nicest place in the world, But he has a 427 AC Cobra. How the hell he afford it? No one has any clue, But i do know that he has won many pink slips time after time in that car. Fortunatly I went up to his house before and was looking for parts for my stang. Well Low and behold there it is, in all of it's perfection and everything else he owns ( including a 9 second '88 Cobra. Which he actually bought for his son ). He drove me down to his restaurant to eat and at that time i got to ride in his....SVT Lightning. Well, i'd say that was one hell of a ride. But even luckier we got back to his house and found some parts (which were ones that i didn't even want). So anyways he got to showing me his Cobra (Blue w/ white stripes). He said It seemed i was so into the car, he actually let me sit in it and start it. HOLY $hit. I mean, the damn thing actually shook the windows in his garage, i could really hear them rattle (specially when he told me to rev it ) After that he actually took me for a ride in it. Those things are amazing I'd like to say. And even then, his cobra is not stock at all. By the end of the day I think i crapped my pants about 10 times compeltely But it was basically the best day of my life

Rosco
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:46 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

88 Cobra?

Is it a Canadian Car? As far as I know the Canadian Dealers were the only ones to put Cobra Badges on the GT's.

No biggie a 9 second car is a 9 second car. I was just curious.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Sounds like hes got quite a fleet, maybe the restaurant is just a front for a drug running business.

haha, j/k

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
Rosco
Registered Member

Hehehe...Let me clarify that, I really didn't have time to type what I wanted. The body was an '88 GT, plus a stalker front bumper, and a different rear bumper, don't really remember what it was called. He had put a Cobra engine into it and had just about everything done to it. Installation work all himself just like all the other work he does. Plus a nice sized bottle of nitrous which i think was 100+. Granted his son tried A U-Turn in 2nd gear, and I think ended up doing something like a 980 in it. (he's not to smart). He said he was getting some Drag Radials for it, so it would possibly drop it into the high 8's.

Rosco
5.0 Conversion, Full Saleen ground effects and spoiler, '94 saleen decal set, '93 Saleen Seats, Black interior from a '93, Steeda quadrant, smog pump delete, a/c delete, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, '97 rear differential, aluminum driveshaft, 5 lug conversion, '97 rear disc brakes, southside upper and lower control arms, '99 GT Anniversary wheels, flowtech longtubes, flowtech offroad H-pipe, saleen lowering springs, kyb shocks, caster/camber plates
Old 03-13-2002, 08:16 PM   #7
#1 Pony
Registered Member

*What's the difference in an AC Cobra and the Cobra (the SVT/Mustang)? And what year were they made in?*
-never mind that question. I know what an AC Cobra it...I forgot that was the first Cobra I ever wanted!! I was at Ford and it was sitting in the show room. A black one with a light tan interior!!
I just wanted to TOUCH it!!! That was the second car I ever wanted. 1st was the Mustang, then the Cobra. So it would only make since I would want a SVT Cobra Mustang, right!! I have a pic of an AC I took... let me post it later.

I'm just curious....man I can't wait till I own a Cobra..I'm going to be in love with that thing (because I want it so bad!!)

*that's going to be me one day, killing Ferrari,
I only hope*

Last edited by #1 Pony; 03-13-2002 at 08:23 PM..
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Since were talking about AC Cobras. Did anyone see
'Bad Boys' back in '95?
NOW do you think (not concidering the driver)
that the Porche could really beat that Cobra?
(the ending)
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
MrWesson22
Registered Member

2200lbs + 500+hp = one helluva ride! A coworker used to work at a shop that works on VERY high $$$ classic muscle cars. Alex, my coworker, owns a 69 charger 440 six pack that isn't stock. He got to take an original 427 cobra home for the weekend (owned by his boss there) and said it was by far the fastest car he's ever driven. I think a cobra kit car with a built all aluminum blown 351W would probably be the ultimate open track roadracer.

69 stang
351C/4sp
MrWesson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:30 AM   #10
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Wow that sounded like a kick *** race. I would of loved to see just either car by them selves, but to race that is to sweet!

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:52 AM   #11
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally posted by #1 Pony
Since were talking about AC Cobras. Did anyone see
'Bad Boys' back in '95?
NOW do you think (not concidering the driver)
that the Porche could really beat that Cobra?
(the ending)
Give me a pack of skittles. And some tropical fruit bubblecious (sp???), LOL

That Cobra would have SPANKED the Porshe if the AC had been driven by a good guy

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
Rosco
Registered Member

MrWesson, Howdy fella. You run your stang at all at the track? I got a friend up in Buffalo who's got a 351c in his 67. Although....they're really rich and they put 10k into the engine alone (so far). But he's running 10.6 @ 128. Is what he told me last night, well that is the fastest he's ever run.

Rosco
Old 03-14-2002, 07:57 PM   #13
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

I'm helping a buddy build a Factory Five Cobra. He just got it last weekend and has quite a bit done already. I'm going over this Saturday to help him install the rearend. He's putting a police interceptor 5.0 in it out of a wrecked LX. When it's done I'm going to race him for the fun of it. I think I'll lose because of his lighter weight, but it should be fun. Maybe I'll add a 125 shot of naws without telling him.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:54 PM   #14
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

My dad has a friend that has an ac cobra replica, i never seen it, he lives in dallas, but i believe it has a 428, or 460, dont remember, I would like to have one, but with a vorteched 347.. something a little mild to cruise around town.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:38 AM   #15
MrWesson22
Registered Member

Rosco,
The car's apart right now getting a slew of mods. I just finished converting to manual steering today. I tore down to the shortblock, got a good bit of work done on the heads, put in a whole new comp cams valvetrain (except milodon megaflow valves), and am also adding a new exhaust system. So, it's been to the track, but only on my old engine. I havent had it yet on this motor, even before the mods. The goal is 11s on motor, which shouldn't be a problem if I can hook. If you want to know specifics on my combination, just ask - I'll be more than happy to share. I'm looking for around 475hp - it should be fun!

69 stang
351C/4sp
MrWesson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 11:41 AM   #16
67GTACoupe
Registered Member

Sup all,

Cobras are such magnificent cars, a guy i know has a Kit Cobra and he found a 428 and is putting a 8-71 blower on it, this thing is going to be a beast, right now the body and the Chasie are apart but id like to see what he runs when its back together, his goal is the hit 750HP, now that is a car kill anything on the road

Steven

Drive Fast, Race Hard, Beat Ricers.

Live your life a 1/4 mile at a time
67GTACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #17
gsxkilla
Registered Member

427 cobra AHHHH : þ~~~ damn make me nut my pants just like i do when i see v-6 mustangs
ryan
Old 03-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #18
vtec8ter
Registered Member

Talking

that must have been one phat race to watch. personally i woulda tried a fly-by to see first-hand the top end of the ferrari. its too bad you werent in your cobra though. musta been one hell of a race.
vtec8ter is offline   Reply With Quote