MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2003, 07:12 PM   #1
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Default Don't Know if this Qualifies

Don't know if this qualifies for this board or not but I'm happy. Coming back form Houston on old Hiway 90 and this guy in an Alero sprot coup is messing around with me and others speeding up slowing down all that crap. I catch him at a light where the road goes down to one lane in Libery I am in the left lane and beat him to where the right lane ends for the next 20 miles he is behind me running up and back. Its two lane and he cant' pass. Even in a little strech of four lane he can'tpass me. In Nome I know there is a light and the road goes back to four lanes with about a 10 mile strech of straight Souteast Texas four lane with no lights. He passes me in Nome but the light catches us and it perfect we are sitting there and its one of those lights that has a left turn signal before it goes to green. I take my little 3.8 out of automatic overdrive and wait.

Light turns and he chirps his wheels and leads me by about 1/2 car link. I am feeling bad. About 50 I start to gain by 70 Im' pulling ahead. By 85 I'm leading by car link and by 100 I'm leaving him behind good. Now I'm feeling a lot better. I let off and he passes looking real PO'd. I just let him go smoking on down the road. Point made

This ain't the big boys here but it made me happy. Looked up the spec on the Alero and the 3.8 has something on the Alero 3.4 but not too much ( ~170 HP @4800 vs 193 @5500 for 3.8. Makes feel a little more confident when I get the chance to match up with one of the lower end Monte Carlo SS's.

My MAC CAI came in today and I have and a muffler place picked out to install headers and a true dual exhaust with FlowMasters. Hope this helps me some.

Let me know if this qualifies. If so, I will post more
mustardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

Sure it qualifies as a race, there's been people who have posted racing stories about some of their daily drivers that are slower than your little 3.8. It's not V8 racing but hey, it's still racin right?

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
scsmooth
Registered Member

hey nice kill, and with a 3.8. i dont here much about them, love to here more about them racing. now the got a new s.c. for them. there going to sick on the road. i'm thinking of getting one and dropin a s.c. in it.
scsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Run watcha brung

The cardinal rule in street racing, IMHO, is "run what you brung", no rules after that really. You do need to make sure you get an equal start for a fair race though. 3.4 Alero against a 3.8 Stang I'd say is a good race.

When running on the street it's all just for fun anyway for me. I race anyone who looks like they may have a chance if it seems safe. Of course I don't try to race cars where I don't have a chance either (Vipers, Z06's).

My main rule is that saftey is paramount.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Of course that qualifies.... why not?

I know it's gotta feel good. I remember when I was racing my V6 stang (a long time ago) against a Ford Tempo. That V6 stang was really weak and I got beat (only by a little) and after I got beat, the passenger flipped me off. Now, that didn't feel good, Made me feel like having a rocket launcher on the hood of my car so I could blow up the punk and his stupid passengers..... . Anyway, good kill. Be safe.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 03:48 PM   #6
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
Of course that qualifies.... why not?

....and after I got beat, the passenger flipped me off. .
On a bad day, that could send me into instant road rage.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:19 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
On a bad day, that could send me into instant road rage.
LOL
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 11-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #8
srv1
Get down.....

You beat his 3.4? They are good for what they are for and so is your 3.8. Sounds like and even match. At least you didnt race on the street. Good job.

James
Old 11-09-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
mustardjohn
Registered Member

Yes, I would say I won. He lead the first little bit. Maybe I was a little slow on the start or maybe the Alero gets more torque as it did actually chirp the wheels which isn't easy to do in a 3.8. The guy was really asking for it.

This is not exactly a "street" as it is a 4 lane divided. If you are first at the light then it is very rare to have anyone in front of you for the next 5 miles and hardly any chance of someone pulling on from the side. Southeast Texas has a lot of these "opportunities". It is not very crowded here except in Houston or on I-10.

I had a great race with a Mercedes SUV at the same light with my Contour SVT 2.5 V6 a while back. Won that one too. It was a good match up though. Some of the SUV's are getting very powerful especially the BMW and Porsche.

Personally I like the smaller cars you don't end up going 140 mph or something in 1/2 mile. I thought that might be too tame for the folks that post here though.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:59 AM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by mustardjohn
...I thought that might be too tame for the folks that post here though.
Well, to tell the truth, every once in a while, it's good/refreshing to read a race thread about something other than mustang vs ls1, even if it's v6 vs v6-- or even less.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: