MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2001, 12:25 AM   #1
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Post Drag Racing Ticket, need some help....

Hey fellow street racers. Well I got my first ticket tonight, a Drag racing ticket. I have to go to court, the ticket has no mph on it. All it has on it is the S.B. maroon mustang and maroon camaro were accelerating rapidly as I passed near by. Now I was not roasting them nor going over the speed limit. So what to say to the judge, opinios please. Has ayone ever gotten out of one? Thans alot, see ya.

------------------
3:55's,BBK Off-Road H-pipe,BBK jet-hot coated equal length shorty headers,BBK 70mm Throttle Body,BBK adjustable clutch quadrant,C & L 76mm Mass air meter, PRO 5.0, Subframe connectors, Cobra R's 17x9 w/ 245's,Trick Flow Intake,Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, Super Duty T5,Centerforce II Clutch,Heavy Duty Radiator,9mm Ford racing plug wires,Accel cap and Rotor, moroso battery relocation kit, strut tower brace, 4 inch harwood cool hood, autometer phantom gauges

http://www.geocities.com/i8ur
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 12:54 AM   #2
Red514LX
Registered Member

Thumbs down

You can say whatever you want but the definition of drag racing (contest of speed, at least here in Metro Detroit, MI) is that two cars accelerating side-by-side (or close to it) IS drag racing and IS illegal here in MI even if you are going under the speed limit.

It's your word against the cops. I would plead guilty. Maybe you can get a reduced sentence (like probation and no points).

I wish you the best of luck. Did you know that in MI you can go to jail for 90 days for drag racing? I almost found that out the hard way. I was so shaken up by my "close call" with prison time that I disassembled my mustang and it still sits here not running today (2 years later).
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 01:21 AM   #3
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

You are lucky that you didn't get hauled in and get your car impounded....they are very strict here in OKC. I do know that in OKC the minimum fine is $2500, loss of liscense and comm service.

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119

http://www.mustangworks.com/rides/pictures/Listing1549-slot1.jpg
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 01:30 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Dude that sucks. Don't even try to contest it. Just lick your wounds and grow from this experience. Cop's word always wins.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 01:33 AM   #5
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

So how can they supposedly prove that I was racing? Should I just eat it and say yes sir I was drag racing etc..... to the Judge? Or should I say I was cruising third gear and this old crappy camaro comes up next to me and guns it, and takes off. Then like 30 seconds later he turns left and so do I on my way home, then he pulls me over.

[This message has been edited by 1BAD89 (edited 07-14-2001).]
Old 07-06-2001, 03:42 AM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

That does suck. You are in a dilema. IF you really weren't drag racing, think about what happened carefully and humbly and respectfully explain it to the judge. That's all you can do.

I would personally have an extremely hard time saying that I was guilty when I definately wasn't just to get a lower fine. Personally, I'd rather pay the ******* fine. But that's just how I am. But if I were guilty, I won't waste time trying to "fix it". In that case, I would've just screwed up and live w/ the consequences.

If you were really charged with "contest of speed", why didn't the deputy lock you up. Sounds a bit fishy to me, but laws vary from state to state. Where was the cop when he saw you? Behind? in front going same direction? In front going opposite direction? Perpendicular to you coming of an intersecting street?? Some things to think about.

-----------------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup w/ 4" Cowl
Stock 5.8L, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to
Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left
thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 07:23 AM   #7
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I would hate to be you!! Man that is one mean COP. to pull you over. was the camaro ahead of you did you gun it and pass him????
A fiend was Racing a truck and we both just got Speeding tickets and I know we were not going that fast but bit down and payed them..
How fast did you go up to???
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 10:49 AM   #8
dinomite
The Dude

the problem is that the 'racing' subset of 'reckless driving' has no speed attached to it. it is simply "a contest of speed between cars", so if the donut ****** thinks that you were racing, then thats what the judge will go by. cops are assholes, get used to it.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 11:36 AM   #9
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

1BAD89

Trust me on this. GET A LAWYER. He might be able to get you off completley, if not at least reduce the charges down to reckless driving.

GET A LAWYER. It might be expensive, but if you get convicted of racing, your insurance will either SKYROCKET, or DROP YOU.

In NC its 12 points on your licenense, only one less point than a DUI (Driving Under Influence). Once again, get a LAWYER, especially if your young, like under the age of 21.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 11:47 AM   #10
NYC1
Registered Member

I would just tell the truth. Why should you suffer because one car pulls next to you and guns it?? If you're sincere with your story, he may take sympathy on you. From what I've seen though, they almost always go with what the cop says. Be respectful, and dressing nice(in blue) can help. It's worked for me.

------------------
94GT - GT40 Intake & Heads, 65MM TB, BBK Longtubes, Strut tower brace, K&N, 3 chamber Flows, Hurst Shifter, Cobra R's,
NYC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 01:23 PM   #11
bada$$lx

Cool

Who won the race ? No, kidding aside, whatever you do, don't tell your insurance company (let them find out by themselves - sometimes never do until you change companies and then run your record - I work in insurance). Also, try to speak w/ the cop before you get into court, see if he'll agree to reduce your charge. If not, exlain to the judge your story (don't get loud or argumentative - where nice clothes - no ear rings) he may reduce it to a non-mover or lesser fine. Good luck!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-06-2001, 01:59 PM   #12
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

The cop was going the opposite way on the other street I assume. The ticket just says drag racing on it. I'm 18, I don't have any other tickets or encounters with the law. How many points is it on your license again?
We only get 10 before your license is taking away I believe. How much is a drag racing ticket? So you it just depends on the judge if he's cool or not huh? I think I'm just going to plead guilty and take it as an experience. Maybe the judge will reminence of his days and give simpathy? Doubt it. But if they give you community service, does the ticket still go on your record? Thanks for all your help. Bye guys.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:20 PM   #13
bark3rd
Registered Member

Cool

Get a lawyer for sure! Most lawyers that deal with traffic court will represent you for less than $500.00. Get one that specializes in traffic court, these guys always hang around the courts and know all the judges, they know which ones are lenient, etc. Also most lawyers will keep filing continuances until you get put on a docket with a good judge or until the cop doesnt show up. If the cop doesnt show up as State's witness against you, your lawyer can move for dimissal. Back in the day, I had many a case where my attorney filed continuances delaying my court appearance as well as any fine payment for more than a year. By the time my case was heard, I was older (insurance impact lessened), and the cop had quit the force so I got off. When I steet race, I keep my attorney's cell phone number and business card in my wallet!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 05:06 PM   #14
dinomite
The Dude

definently get a lawyer.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 04:33 PM   #15
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

So what all is a lawyer going to do for me? Does he do all the talking instead of me or what?
Old 07-08-2001, 07:52 PM   #16
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

The lawyer is going to do the talking for you in court, but more importantly he will get all the info together he needs, look at the state laws regarding your case and take a look at other court cases that have allready been tried. Even if you think you can't afford a lawyer it is way worth your time to at least call one to run your case buy. Otherwise, start reading up on the state laws and other court cases, get your story together and go to court yourself as well prepared as you can. Good luck.
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:39 PM   #17
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

A lawyer will also be able to challenge the cop's account of the incident a lot more effectively than you'll be able to (beyond a reasonable doubt?), courts are pretty intimidating to normal people and lawyers are hardly ever intimidated in a courtroom.

------------------
GT-40 heads (ported, polished, + milled), B303 cam, 1.7rr's, JE pistons, Offy intake, Carter AFB 625cfm carb, Flowtech 1 5/8" shortys, Flowtech X-pipe, MAC Flowpath exhaust, MAC pulleys, 373's, subframes, Eibachs+Tokicos, B&M ripper, FMS Clutch, Zoom Quadrant+cable, 17" CSA Ultra rims, 235/45ZR17 Yokohama AVS S4's, MSD 6A ignition+coil, FMS 9mm wires, Carbed, Naturally Aspirated, and Nasty!
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #18
bada$$lx

Cool

Besides everything else I've already said....yes, I agree, get some legal counsel. He will know the laws, loop holes, cops, judges and terminology.......which will sound a whole lot better than your "uh, uh, umm, umm, uh, ya know, umm, uh....." (nothing personal)!

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-10-2001, 08:18 AM   #19
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Let me just say that I've been in your shoes before...

Definately get a lawyer. I did and it worked out just fine. Drag racing ticket is more serious than most people think. During my court appearance all I ended up saying was "Thank you, Judge Whatever" I had a spotless record going in and ended up with two speeding tickets. Total cost of the tickets was $50 (the minimum) and $25 in court costs. The lawyer was a little more than that but WELL WORTH it in the long run (insurance, could have had my license suspended, etc.)

Do yourself a favor and at least speak with a lawyer - ask around (your family, friends, etc.) a referral usually gets a little better treatment.

Good luck, E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe - 38,000 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 12:48 PM   #20
jerryIII

Smile

I agree, at least talk to an attorney, they will tell you on the first meeting what they will be able to do for you and what you can expect for a penalty.. most attorneys have a free first time visit..

this sounds like a serious violation, i would'nt handle it yourself... one wrong statement to the judge and it's all over (remember most Judges are attorneys, they know what to ask).

Keep us updated... good luck...

------------------
Black,84 GT,ground effects,shorty headers, 'open' dual exh.,302 HO(no pollution control crap),T5,89 ported heads,edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock 2122 cam,600 Holley, high volume oil pump...

gears (4:10's) coming soon. N2O, soon to follow!!!