MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-13-2001, 01:23 PM   #1
Rebel79
News Editor

Post Ordered a chip and getting dynoed!

A couple weeks ago I finally got around to calling Johnson Motorsports and ordered a custom chip from them. Man I can't wait! Now that my motor is finally reliable and running at a decent temperature I can start putting the major horsepower out! Chris Johnson told me to easily expect 425rwhp! I was just hoping for 400rwhp, but if I get over 425 I will be the happiest guy in the world!

So on March 17th, I'm going down to Apex Motorsports for a Cobra Dyno-day and getting my Cobra dynoed.

What got me to order the chip, was JEALOUSY! My buddy owns a 93 Cobra, stock motor and an 9lb Paxton. He dynoed at 285rwhp with out a tune. After a a few hours of dyno tuning, he put down 373rwhp!

When I originally got my car it had stock motor, exhaust mods, and a Vortech A-trim running 5 psi. I got 314hp to the rear wheels. So now I have a built motor and an S-trim runnign 11psi. It runs a hell of a lot stronger than it did when it had 314 rwhp so I figure I must have abotu 375rwhp now... so I may not see that big of a 'seat of the pants' improvement from the chip.

I'll let you guys know the results when I put it in, and after I dyno it!

Sorry for the long post...

------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, Vortech S-trim 11#, ported GT-40 heads, E-303 cam, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2001, 02:36 PM   #2
rbatson

Thumbs up

I bet you do better than 425hp, go check out Nicolle's combo and dyno results. Chris told me that with one of his chips I should have around 470hp(he didn't say rwhp.. just hp). I need to get a chip and take mine to a dyno(when I can afford it... buying new house soon). I see you switched over to the e-cam, you like it better? Good luck!!

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 11/5/2000)
My 97 Cobra
Old 02-14-2001, 11:23 AM   #3
Rebel79
News Editor

Actually I never had the 2031! When my old, untrustworthy mechanic built my motor, he told me that the cam he put in had .512" lift and 289° duration. However I had it measured and it turns out its an E-cam! I also listened to other Stangs with E-cams and my car has the same lope, but just sounds meaner.

When did you get that A-trim? I had my S-trim upgraded last summer from an A-trim after it spun a bearing. Best $500 I ever spent. I was seeing 8psi in 2nd gear but only 5psi in 4th gear on the dyno. After it was upgraded, I'm seeing 11psi!

------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra
308ci, Vortech S-trim 11#, ported GT-40 heads, E-303 cam, FMS 1 5/8 headers, BBK Offroad H-pipe, 2-chamber flows, and several other goodies.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:48 PM   #4
rbatson

I put the A-trim on my car in Oct 97(I think). I upped the crank pulley to a 8# pulley when I had the new motor put in. It got alot louder, too loud really. Did yours get quieter after the upgrade? Who did your upgrade?
Old 02-15-2001, 03:44 PM   #5
Rebel79
News Editor

I had forgotten that you had put that blower on! My S-trim is REALLY loud. Wanna hear for yourself? Click here. When the A-trim spun a bearing it got super loud.... but thats when I knew. Actually I didn't even know it was an A-trim until I called Vortech and gave them the serial number... they said it was one of the first ever made! I sent the A-trim into Vortech to repair it. While it was there, I asked them to upgrade it an S-trim. Actually it was more along the lines of $800 to upgrade it.

------------------
1994 Mustang Cobra