MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-18-2002, 01:41 AM   #1
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Default El Camino and LS-1 383 stroker ??Goes down??

First a little back ground. A few weeks ago an El Camino and LS-1 camaro were at a light revved up about to race, I got into the 3rd lane and staged with them. When the light turned green I pulled 2 cars off the light cause they spun and I got a good launch, I kept pulling away up to about 90 mph. The guy in the Camaro was pissed and we went from a roll a few more times and I pulled on him each time. He was really mad

Ok Last night I played with the ricers a little bit and decided to park and BS with a few friends. The guy in the El-Camino drove by and revved a few times. The 2nd time he drove by I decided to take the bait and followed him out. We waited for traffic to clear and went from a 2nd gear roll, we both hit the gas at the same time and were dead even through 2nd, I shifted to 3rd barked the tires and pulled about 2 feet ahead of him. We both let off @100mph and I had him by about 5 feet. This was surprising since a few weeks ago I smoked him easy.

We pulled into the Sonic and I ask him what he had done to his car and he had put in gears and a cam since the last time we raced. He then complemented me on the way I spanked His @ss a few weeks earlier. He then went on to say that the Camaro I kept on beating had a 383 stroker in it and that was why the guy was so pissed.

How sad is that
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:17 PM   #2
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Since you have two cars, which one were you in?

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 01:07 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EZRIDN
Since you have two cars, which one were you in?
My 01' Cobra 13.69 @102 @3000ft wheel hopping to the 1/8th. For some reason it doesnt wheel hop on the street.

Later.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
VT StangFreak
Registered Member

Good kills man, but I must say that either you can drive your *** off or the 383 LS1 Stroker cannot drive worth a crap. I raced a stock LS1 '00 T/A (he had exhaust and an SLP lid) and we were neck and neck the entire time. Bone stock those LS1's can run low 13's. I don't love LS1's by any means, in fact I am True Blue, but I do respect them. So basically that 383 LS1 stroker could not drive, cause he has way more engine than you do in your stock '01 Cobra.
Edelbrock Aluminum heads, E303 Ford racing cam, Probe Forged pistons, Cobra Intake, Pro M Mass Air, 65mm Throttle Body, 24# injectors, Ford Racing Clutch, Aluminum Drive Shaft, 3.55's, Nitto's, rebuilt T-5 tranny, White Face Gauges, full exhaust, underdrive pulleys.
VT StangFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:21 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

I almost exclusively race LS-1's, at this altitude my 13.69 beats anything any of the local LS-1 guys put down stock.

If the LS-1 has a few bolt ons they always pull me on the top end. My car seems to better on the low end and mid range.

I dont know if its true that the LS-1 was stroked or not but I can guarantee he wasnt stock.

My average run is a high 13 the 13.69 was a freaky run.

To make a long story short yes I am a good driver...But, we went from a roll and he still lost. His was one of the slowest LS-1's I have raced.

That same night I lost twice to LS-1's with cams and slicks. I knew I would probably lose but I am always looking for a good kill.

If it werent for LS-1's my weekends would be boring. Its all in good fun. There is a group of 5 LS-1 guys that I hang out with we have ran each other many many times and trust me I hold my own. I was shopping for an LS-1 when I found my Cobra

Later,
Old 11-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Good story, Dark.

I think most of us realize that big displacement does not always equal fast.

There was a guy around Lubbock with a Camaro running a 383 with a supercharger and nitrous. Sure, the car made madd power, but he was running his mouth off at the track. A guy I know in a bolt-on LS1 with a 100 shot said he'd line 'em up for some $$. Short end of it is that the loud-mouth lost. I guess he didn't realize that to put 600 hp to the ground you have to have some suspension work and tires. He was running street radials and lost two races and some cash. Actually, I think the builder of the car actually drove the second race. Still couldn't pull it out.

I've heard of guys dropping 351's in stangs and expecting to beat every stock Mustang out there only to get it handed to them by a stock GT. It's all in the combo.

Good runs, Dark.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote