MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 11:09 AM   #1
88GT5.013.02

Post Ever race an older muscle car and spank 'em?

Don't get me wrong, I love older muscle cars. Especially when I drive my dad's 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie with a 427. I know the older cars' potential, but I am talking about the cocky older racers that run at the mouth at how much they hate 5.0's.

These are the people that I love to hand their a$$ to. I raced a 383 4spd Roadrunner and spanked him...bad, when I was nearly stock. Also an old man in @ a 70 Nova who was messing with me when I didn't want anything to do with him (he had big exhaust, big cam, and sticky tires), then after he bugged me many times I figured, might as well. I beat him bad enough to where he wouldn't even get close to me at the next light (this was also when I was nearly stock).

I am not starting a flame here as my dad has some bad a$$ cars (63 Plymouth Savoy with a 426 max wedge(original 6 cyl car), 69 mustang fastback with a 428 CJ(351wcar), 67 mustang fastback, and the galaxie mentioned above only the galaxie and plymouth run though). I just want to know if anyone else has had the joy of shutting up some of the arrogant people out there in the old muscle cars that don't respect the 5.0's still?
Old 01-08-2001, 12:36 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

blah blah blah..they dont make them like they used to..blah blah blah you call a 302 a big motor..i get it all the time from some of the "wish i was still 20 but im 45 so ill buy the car i drove when i was 20 so i feel young again" ..then they talk $hit and dont know what happens when they get wooped..like the guy down the street has a 400hp '67 400 fireturd and wow if thats 400 horse then i am running 700hp..lol

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
smithbling
Registered Member

I once raced a Olds 442 w/350. He jumped the light and I still spanked his a$$. I flew by him like a little blue rocket!

I also raced a 1963 Vette to a 2 to 1 lane merge. I beat him by about 1 car, but I think he didn't know how to drive.

I find "muscle" cars good off the line, probably the gearing. I think most suck on the highway. Of course there are exceptions!

------------------
C ME FLY

88 coupe
14.75 @ 98 mph
Traction Limited

smithbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 01:04 PM   #4
Snakeman
Registered Member

I love stomping on 'em!

Vettes are the BEST!
Mopar dudes are my second fave...
and you chevy boys...LOL!
sure, I'll race ya!

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 02:22 PM   #5
Tom351
Registered Member

I love spanking old big blocks. Cause most guys can't comprehend how a small block could be faster than a big block. They say "I have a 428, so I will kill your 351" I love spnking old Mopars, because they go into shock when there 440 gets whooped!
My cars old, but I know it would not have some of it's mods if it weren't for the 5.0's.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W ,Trick Flow Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock TorkerII, Comp. Cam, Performance Automatic C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

My 351W Fastback
Tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 06:09 PM   #6
88GT5.013.02

Yeah my dad used to say that there is no substitue for cubic inches except for big money. He said that, until he rode in my car, when it was my brother's.

Especially when it ran 14.60-14.70's bone stock full weight '88 GT in 90* heat and lots o' humidity (it was at Milan dragway, traction can be questionable).

He was impressed and knew it wouldn't take much money to run 12's. Now he is proud of me because I built my own car, like he used to do. He still brings up the old cars, though. His 427 Galaxie is pretty impressive though. I took it out one night to the cruisin' loop on Gratiot. I beat many mustangs and newer Z's (non-ls1s).
Old 01-08-2001, 07:47 PM   #7
n20neenee
Registered Member

I know, when I first moved to Texas there was this one guy, every talked about his 400hp 355 in his 72 SS camaro he built up. He would bring pics of him building the the engine and stuff. I ran him one day finally and the spanked him. By the next week I was building his engine up for him.
n20neenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 10:05 PM   #8
89LXCarb
Registered Member

There's a guy in a neighboring town that has an olds 442 with a 500hp 454. The car is pretty nice looking and sounds good too. I wanna race him bad but he won't even run because he says he'll beat me too bad. The car has 456 gears but it has old bias tires and a stock suspension. I've seen the car in action and it has no traction at all. but he's the typical Big Block owner and thinks his car is invinsible.

------------------
4 cyl converted to 302
comp cams cam, ported GT 40 heads, Edelbrock intake, holley carb
Turbo coupe rear with 373's
4 inch cowl hood
finally done after what seemed like forever!!!!!

89LXCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 11:18 PM   #9
StreetStang37
Registered Member

Cool

I've had an old Chevelle looking thing (was't too sure) did a revving fly-by and proceeded to rev at the light. The car had MONSTER tires, probably 285+ 70s. It had a mean tone to it with the "sponsor" stickers on the side, with old english writing in the back (some gangster lookin guy). The car sounded as if I didn't want a piece of that, but my passenger pressured me into racing it.
From the get go I just pulled away. Not too much of a race, all show no go. My friends '90 Integra would have even ran even probably.
StreetStang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 11:32 PM   #10
Red514LX
Registered Member

I wish you guys could come down to the local cruise-in here just outside Detroit. There are quite a few built big-blocks that probably do run 11s or quicker on motor.

It's a shame, really. The old saying goes that there's no replacement for displacement. I like to modify that and say there's no replacement for displacement when it's built right. You can build up a big block and run low 14s or you can build one up and run high 9s.

The real question is: How fast do you want to spend?

Nevertheless, good kills. A kill is a kill is a kill. Bring whatcha got and run 'em.

------------------
Jeff Kane
1990 LX Mustang ex-5.0 Coupe
No engine. No transmission.
Prepping car for a "big" big-block. http://hometown.aol.com/red514lx/

[This message has been edited by Red514LX (edited 01-08-2001).]
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 12:09 AM   #11
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I have been spanked to bleeding pulp, by an old sh*t box cutlass running a 502 engine.

The only reason I kept up with the guy in first gear was because he was spinning.

I'm pretty impressed by the big blocks, allthough I would want to cruise downtown with that plad looking box on wheels.

------------------
Lizard King - 00GT

>> 13.698 @ 101.2MPH - BONE STOCK, yes BONE(even air filter) stock.

"I can do anything, I'm the Lizard King." - The Doors
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 12:42 AM   #12
COBRA66
Registered Member

Cool

Being a classic guy, i have to go with what my roots. The look, the motors everything. But i atleast understand that my 66 was not intended to drag or handle all that well, like you 5.0 guys. Not to mention the versatility or the 5.0 engine. Hands down, ford has built the greatest platform for a street racing car in the fox body mustang with an efi 302. The big boat muscle cars were fast for there day. But the name of the game for today, is applied hp. You can have all the hp in the world. If it doesn't get applied to the ground with out losing half the tire, then its useless.
COBRA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 01:26 AM   #13
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

88gt5.0, So what are you running? a (stock 383 4spd roadrunner is in the high 14's or low with a good driver, but like you said, i love older muscle cars, my dad drove a 383 4spd coronet, at 17 yrs old, making over 500 hp, doing 11.70's, on cheeter slicks and huge solid cam, and of course they had higher compession (stock), and better, cheaper gas.

I used to love hanging out with my dad and his friends, when they would talk about him blowin away 427 vettes and gto's....

But he too is impressed at riding in my car and feeling the (economic) power our mustangs make

Just sayin, if he still had that car we could go out and light up some camaros, vipers, vettes, mustangs..ect..

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,advncd ignition,3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 14.20(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph 97.80
Best 60' 2.1
next mods: subframes, 3.73's

90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:20 AM   #14
88GT5.013.02

The 383 Roadrunner that I raced was pretty much stock with the exception of a gear. The guy was in first gear jumping it trying to get me to race. So I went down into first and decided to romp it and I spanked him (we raced just past third gear). I don't know if he was very good at driving. This was when I had a gear, exhaust, pullies, and K&N. I ran 14.10@99 with 2.2 60' then.

As for big blocks, I do have ultimate respect for them. My dad has some of the best big blocks ever built (427, 428,429, 460). My dad has a lot of stuff, you know the show Sanford and Son, well my dad is Fred Sanford. The 427 Ford is a bad dude, and yes it did come out before Chevy's 427. I argue with people about that all the time.

We have a 67 Mustang racecar that is VERY light, this thing only has a roll bar and a drivers seat. My dad was going to put the 514 ci crate motor in it and race, but college stole that funding.

I just figured this would be a cool topic, since my dad reacted in the typical manner as the other old "stuck in their ways" folks did.
Old 01-09-2001, 10:34 AM   #15
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Some of the old big blocks are no-go types, but let me share a little story that initiated me well:

Second time down the 1320 and what do I line up against? An old POS looking (key word here --> "looking") Nova with about four quarts of bondo on half of the body panels, a primer gray door, silver hood and gold painted trunk. Anyways, the car sounds like it was about to stall off the line and at the time I didn't really know what sounded "mean" and what sounded like a tired old carbed V8 that hadn't had a tune up since I was born back in 1975. So we line them up and the tree falls and guess what? This POS Nova is at the 330' mark by the time I get my Stang out of 1st gear! This thing hauled balls! I was so scared from the sound it made when it launched that I didn't know what to do. Anyways, he runs a mid 11 and I run a solid 14.7 something or other (stock everything back then).

So, I do respect the "older" muscle cars, but come on, he had nearly 100 cubes on me! I guess the roll cage should have clued me in.

E

------------------
1991 5.0 LX Coupe -37,800 miles

13.17 @ 106.14 mph w/ 2.138 60'

Pro-Charger D-1SC on the way!!!
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 11:29 AM   #16
Kevin Price
Registered Member

One of my best friends has a 67 Camaro w/ a well built 502 on alcohol. Before his head swap from Merlins to Alum. Darts he ran a best of 10.13.

One of my main goals this racing season is to beat him racing him on the motor alone. He has a bit more cubes BUT I will have a weight advantage of 300 - 400lbs so we will see. That and I drive a Mustang so that will count for something.

We shall see!

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #17
MercDude
Registered Member

i can't speak for all those "old" guys in big blocked "muscle cars", but i know from experience that most guys with 5.0's think their car is hot sh!t just because they haven't ever driven a descent performance V8. So the older generation really doesn't have a lot of respect for those sort of people.. and unfortunately due to stereotyping, all 5.0 fox body stangs get the same sort of treatment even though you guys haul serious a$$!... sometimes i wish i had what you guys do... so for a guy who IS NOT over 20 and LOVES old cars, i give you guys props. yeah i know about those old ford bigblocks... once redone those things haul major a$$!! My dad just smoked (bad too ) a late 60's 427 corvette in his nearly 4000lbs '68 fairlane GTA convertible... pretty impressive if you ask me! I can only hang with LS1's right now... but someday my little coupe will haul serious *** !

------------------
'63 Merc Meteor hardtop, warm 302, C4 auto, 2.25" Flowmaster Exhaust,
'65 289 heads - ported/chevy valves, performer cam, edelbrock f4a intake, full length hookers, 600 holley, roller rockers, k'n, 10.5:1 hyperutetic pistons... mid 13's hoping to reach into 12's
MercDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:10 PM   #18
Rev
Registered Member

In all honesty here, big blocks are like small blocks in that stock ones respond to ordinary hot rodding hop up techniques. Just as one can make a 225 hp 5.0 into 450hp normally aspirated engine, one can make a 428 into a 700 hp normally aspirated engine. What a lot of folks want to do is compare a highly modded 5.0 to a stock 428 CJ. What we should be talking about is equally modded engines and then compare hp/CID. Then we might see some advantages of modern roller cams and induction systems. Modded (and I emphasize modded) big blocks can and do produce awesome power.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 01:10 AM   #19
88GT5.013.02

I have experienced the raw power of a good old big block V-8. The first motor I rebuilt was my dad's 427 low riser in his 63 1/2 Galaxie (at 11 yrs old).

This car pulls like mad, with a 3.00:1 gear. Mind you this is an original 390 car with a "cruise 'o matic". So in its place is the 427 with a C-6 (3500 stall, reverse manual valve body). I know that the converter is a little loose (especially with the gear), but we planned on changing the gear. We will put a 3.91 or a 4.10 with a posi or locker. We need to get the correct 31 spline axles to go into the rear.

I realize the potential too, but I just wanted to see if anyone ran across some cocky has been and spanked 'em.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:22 AM   #20
Maroon xr-7
Registered Member

LET ME START OFF BY SAING THAT THE FOX BODY MUSTANGS ARE ONE OF MY FAVORITE CARS OF ALL TIME I, AM LOOKING FOR ONE MY SELF.

Now I am NOT flameing any one or any thing but the guys your raceing dont know what they are talking about when it come to the HP of there car , or your mods list runs for miles as in not stock . I have a friend who has a 72 Cudda that's a 440 car. It has the slap stick 3 speed along with balinced and blue printed and some cam.

On stock tires junk heads and intake. Its probably capable of low 12's. and there's still plinty of room for improve meant on it.
Heads and intake long with a 4 speed or a new high performance stall. Also some traction it would be a prity hard to beat. Thetas all motor too if he got a blower, turbo or nitrous it would probably be a 9 SEC Street car.

He has killed al kinds of cars when i have been with him. From 2 LS1 F -body, V6 stang, riced out RX-7. Along with a couple of probes. Also there's a 5.0 around here that's navy blue with neon ground effects has the license plate "Bottle fed" he wouldn't even line up with us so as far as stock or mildly moded 5.0's beating moded muscle cars they must not of been trying is all I can think of.
Maroon xr-7 is offline   Reply With Quote