MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-13-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
fastang
Registered Member

Unhappy Fastangs dead. But the ghost will visit.

Im getting rid of the Stang tommorow. I just cant afford this thing anymore. I throw every paycheck at this thing and It just doesnt seem to make a difference. I bought the car with 62k on it bone stock and it ran a 14.6 at 96mph. Final tally after all the junk in my sig 14.0 @ 102.4 Granted my trac loc is dust and the car never gets better than a 2.2 60ft on one wheel. Car now has 92k miles on it

When I put the heads and intake on the car it wouldnt ilde, so I took it to a shop and got a custom chip burnt. It idled fine after that but stalled once in a while, like once a week usualy while making a sharp turn. That I really didnt mind.

I kept the stock induction tubing on the car. I didnt have the cash to buy a CAI at the time and I didnt think it would make a big difference anyway. So last weekend I decide to buy one and hit the track. The car runs great for a while then starts stalling and wont hold an idle at all. I tighten every clamp untill the screws want to bust to make sure theres no air leaks but it still stalls. So I put the STOCK stuff back on and it STILL wont idle. every once in a great while it will catch and idle at 500 rpm then surge and die. The TPS and IAC valve are brand new in case you were thinking of that.

Anyway that was the last straw. My AC wont work because of the Longtubes burning up hoses, it surges, dies, the throw out bearing chirps because its worn, etc. After coming back from the track I realized that I have NEVER had a great day there and I really didnt care whether or not my car ran 11's one day or not. So Im trading in my car at the dealership I work for tommorow.

We took in a flawless 00 Tiburon today and I think Im going to get it. Its got nice rims from the factory, AC, PS, tint, cheaper insurance, and it comes with a 60k 5 year warranty for the second owner which will be me. Its actualy quick for a 4 banger too. A lot quicker than I thought it would be.

If I had the money to keep my stang as a weekend car or a track only car like Sky I would, but Im young and need to start a decent career. The car is really holding me back. I throw all my money at it and owe a small credit card bill because of it too. Im throwing in the performace towel....for now. I'll still come by and visit, I just hope Im still welcome.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Why don't you just store it somewhere and come back to it eventually? I tried to sell my '66 Coupe in 1980 for $1000. No takers, and now I thank GOD every day.

I have now resto-modded it and street race when I get the chance. Go to the track now and then and just enjoy it. My experience may or may not work for you.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:30 AM   #3
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Geez man, you do whatever you think you need to do, But the problem can be there in front of you? smoking one wheel?

Look i know people that think mustangs are fast enough stock, mostly foxbody's, but still, they say a good 12 sec plan is a shot of nos, I met a guy at the track tonight with a coupe like mine that had a 180k mile stock block, stock heads, stock cam, stock intake like me, he was on e.t drags 10.5's, sfc's, mac longtubes, 373 grs, 100-125 dry shot of n20 thts it, I saw that car smoke any f bod that stepped up, and saw him run 12.2@ 112? man o man, I know im getting about a 100 shot and longtubes myself, (hope they dont burn my a/c hoses)

Also Some guys i know start with 31 spline axles, slicks, longtubes and gears, with a built up rearend, and slicks, you can really get the power your looking for. (not saying the stock axles are'nt good) but a 5.0 with a bottle turns into a bad mofo.

But if you depend on your car, and drive it every day, just use the nos every other weekend, or when you hae something to prove.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:02 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Sounds like you've got some fucked up computer problems.

The "hunting" idle is quite common with modded 94-95 GT's. MM/FF had this happen to there "Stone Pony" project car. They did a article on correcting this, buy installin a custom tuned computer(lighting something, I think)

O just my opinion, but if the stang's paid for and you've got money to get the Tiburon too. Just put the pony up on blocks and pull it back out when you can afford to get it running right.

Have you just takin it to a shop and said "HELP ME!!!!!". They are professinals they should be able to work the problem out or at least tell you what the problem is. Try a performance shop that does a lot of work on stangs.

Also the peg leg SURE aint' helpin your E.T.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:26 AM   #5
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Unhappy

Jesse,

Buddy that is drastic! I know it's tough with a daily driver (that's the boat I'm in right now) but think of that V8 rumble!

Hyundai, I've only heard negative things about the Tiberon. Don't trade one problem for another (atleast the first problem is fast!)

I'll drop you an email

Cam

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:38 PM   #6
NYC1
Registered Member

Is your car paid for? When you trade in a car, it's usually a big rip off to the consumer. they're probably giving you less then 1g for your car. they make up all the "so called savings" in interest and price mark-ups. You shou definitely keep it if you could. If not, it's understandable. I have a 94 GT which had idle/cut-off problems for 3 years. Recently, I got the idle controller changed, and it hasn't cut off once! I'm on my third stang. After stang #2, I bought a 300zx. It was a very nice car, but I missed the rumble so much just like someone else said, I sold it and bought another stang. Try to find a good shop or mechanic. sometimes that's a hard thing to do. Isn't the Hyundai kind of pricey? I've seen much nicer used GT's with low mileage for less. Hyundai's resale isn't that great either. just my 0.2.
good luck either way.

GT 40 Intake
GT 40Y Aluminum heads
1.7 rockers, BBK Cold air
Fluidyne, BBK long tubes & H-Pipe
65mm TB
Al Driveshaft
Hurst Shifter
Cobra R hood
HPM Subframes
Control Arms

Future mods = Procharger and/or 331/347 Stroker, Turbo?

Rice Haters Club Member #77

FOR SALE:
Strut Tower Brace $30
NYC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 03:26 PM   #7
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Don't make any rash decisions wait a day or two.

I totally understand where you are at. 2 years ago I was in the exactl same spot as you. And I was going to sell my car also. But what you should do it hold out for a better price than what your going to get on a trade in.

Driving that tiberon your going to be frustrated as hell and end up blowing out the gears powershifting like me

The way I look at it I see a few options...

Pull all the mods off your car and trade it in. Or atleast the heads and intake. I know those aren't helping the trade in value whatsoever and you could definatly sell them. (I'll buy that holley intake)

Keep the car, look for a used honda or acura or something like that in the 6000-7000 range. Puts your payments at only 150bux a month for 5 years and gives you a nice daily driver.

Or trade in the stang, or sell it, get a newer daily driver, and pick up a cheaper fox body and slap on the parts you pulled off your GT.

I understand the frustration, it really sucks.

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:05 PM   #8
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default WAIT!!!!!

Fastang,

Hopefully you didn't get rid of your stang today. If you did, then I'm too late. If you didn't, then let's get the problem figured out and fixed. You're not very far up the road from me and I know a shop that does outstanding work on stangs. I took mine there when I was having all sorts of problems (mostly electrical and EEC related), and they had it all fixed in no time. Before I took it to them, I had gone through almost every single wire from the EEC and traced them and found a few problems there as well. I understand that you don't want to throw any more cash at it, and I also know what it feels like to dump thousands into a car, and not see much improvement at all. I spent 13000 on my 69 stang when I had it and it still ran in the 14's. I just lost hope on it and then found the problem one day. It was right in front of my face. So, if you want to give it another shot, just let me know, and we'll figure something out.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:53 AM   #9
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World

i have not followed along with fastangs problems, but has he advanced his timing(with the spout out)????

i advanced my timing(well, thats what i thought) and realized i didnt pull my spout, and before i really did the timing, the car would die sometimes, and run others.

my friend dumped 6k in his motor, and only ran 13.8@100, and i told him all along to bump his timing, and he finally did, and he stayed with a supercharger 00 GT the second day he had it running good(14* timing).

just a suggestion.
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
DRASTiK
Registered Member

So what's the deal? Did you get rid of it?
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:15 PM   #11
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

My car hunts for an idle too? not sure what the dealio is on that, thinking a vacuum leak.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 03:20 PM   #12
fastang
Registered Member

I still owe 2.5 yrs on the car and the leinholder says the I MUST keep full coverage on the car in order to keep the loan, My payments are 200 bucks a month for payments and 250 for insurance. I cant pay 500 bucks a month to let it sit in my driveway while I drive a beater around. I just cant afford that.

I work parts for two different dealerships and have had all the stuff on my car installed my myself and a Master Tech at the dealership that used to have a Fox bod w a 351 in it. He knows wtf he's doing. After the heads and intake I had Swansons Performance in Torrance dyno tune it and burn me a custom chip. They completely fixed the idle problems and it ran like new. But when I tried to put a cold air kit on the car last week it started stalling again, so I put the stock stuff back on and it still wouldnt idle. The BBK longtubes didnt have a smog port so my EGR was capped and not being used, the Longtubes burnt a hole in my Smog pump hose so my air injection to my cats and smog pump are useless, the ingnition cyl is toast, the shocks are worn, and the AC was gone because the hose wasnt long enough to clear the new headers. The blower motor and the heater core were both wasted too. All that junk coupled with the fact that I want....no need to move out instead of dumping all my cash into this car and get an education made me get rid of it.

I got the 00 Tiburon with only 27K for only 11 grand! Its got the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty added too.

I work for Hyundai parts so I shouldnt have any problem using the warranty. I just got a new stereo put in it yesterday. 2 Bazooka tubes in the trunk, new Sony deck, Fosgate triaxles in the doors and a new Pioneer amp. The car handles well and gets awesome gas mileage. Im just glad I dont have to work on a car all the time anymore and I got my heater and AC back.

The shorblock had 92K on it and wouldnt last much longer, plus the rings needed replacing.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 03-16-2002, 03:31 PM   #13
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

How much did you get for the car trading it in?

They sure can be frustrating.

But damn 250/mo for insurance? Thats insane!! My 94 Integra is 75/mo and 25/mo for my stang, what gives?

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 04:09 PM   #14
90LxDroptop
Registered Member

250 for insurance...wow..Mine's only $150 and i'm 16...ONLY..lol thank god for toys r' us or i'd be out on the streets...just kidding
Old 03-16-2002, 05:19 PM   #15
fastang
Registered Member

When I was 20 I got a reckless drving charge because I blew half a beer .05 on a breath scale. Cali's zero tolorance sucks. Then I got busted for driving to work without a license so I could pay off the debt from the first offense. So my insurance is absurdly high. The funny thing is that I've never gotten a speeding ticket or been caught street racing.

Sky, My car blue books retail for 9800 and wholesales for about 6. I got 6200 for the car, I owed 4900. I used the difference and 5 bills for a downpayment on the Tiburon.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:12 AM   #16
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Unhappy

Too bad buddy. I know where you are coming from. It sucks but if you are in a position to better yourself and move on them you made the right decision. There will be may oportunities to buy mustangs in the future. But you are only young once and you got to get your life going.

I'm sure you'll miss driving her, as we'll miss your great racing story's.

Cam

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 01:36 AM   #17
fastang
Registered Member

Thanks Cam, Im glad you understand. Some people are cool about the whole deal and understand while others I know are giving me a huge ration of ****. I will get another Mustang soon enough. I think I'll get a Fox body next time though.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:43 PM   #18
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Talking

Why not buy a used '87-'93 2.3 Mustang? At least stay a Ford owner. Is that '00, the "frog looking" Tiburon?
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 04:25 PM   #19
ReefBlueCoupe
Registered Member

I agree.. get your life and career going, then get a house.. then start the car hunting. you will be way better off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: