MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
Rebel79
News Editor

Default Bad clutch or T/O bearing? Pics

I think I pretty much wore out my clutch. I had a stretched out clutch cable for a while, and it was hard to shift gears. I had a friend install an adjustable clutch cable and quadrant, and he installed the adjuster backwards. This pretty much wore out the clutch (I thought) and after two weeks of driving it with the adjuster backwards, I could feel the clutch grabbing the flywheel when the clutch was depressed. It made a horible scraping sound. So I fixed the adjuster and the problem went away for two weeks. Then, all of a sudden, I started hearing the noise again, constantly.

So flash forward.... I took off the trans, and to my suprise, the clutch seemed ok. The throw out bearing has ever been replaced and it looks a little chewed. What can you guys make out fomr these pics? I bought a new clutch disc and t/o beaing... do I need to replace anything else? Oh yeah the flywheel is going to be resurfaced too.

Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
PKRWUD

Hey Scott-
I'm no expert, especially via pics, but the wear pattern looks to me like the clutch disc was installed backwards. Hard to tell, though.

Good luck.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 03:13 AM   #3
chris91LX
Registered Member

I'm no expert, but the wear on those parts seems very unusual. I think PKRWUD might be right, something was definitely wrong. I can't tell with the angle of the picture, but it looks like you might have had the same problem with your pressure plate I did. The fingers of my pressure plate were not centered, the ring the t/o bearing goes in was off a little and I think the pressure plate was not allowing the clutch to fully disengage at high rpm.

I was just in there myself a week or two ago. I replaced the rear main seal and the pilot bearing while I was in there (I had a leak I thought was the rear main, turns out it's the freaking oil pan gasket ) as well as the throw out bearing. I replaced the clutch too, my clutch was fine but the pressure plate was bad. It's alot of work to just patch a problem, you don't want to go in there again in a month or so for something you can take care of now.
chris91LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 11:05 PM   #4
Rebel79
News Editor

Chris, I can explain the wear pattern on the flywheel. The last time I replaced the clutch was because I broke the pressure plate and scarred the flywheel pretty bad. I didn't have the time to have a shop resurface the flywheel, so I did it myself with a sanding bit and a cordless drill. It took 3-4 hours but I did it and it actually worked pretty well. I have been driving it like that for over a year and a half. As far as the clutch disc, you may see it backwards now... but I assure you it was not on backwards.
Rebel Racing. Home of Bay Area Mustangs
Rebel79 is offline   Reply With Quote