MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
drewmp28
Registered Member

Default CLUTCH PROBLEMS (Fork??)

have an 88 5.0 clutch, Pressure plate, clutch cable and quadrant were all changed about a year ago. Recently my clutch has been getting really stiff and hard to press, yesterday I went to reverse and the clutch seemed to snap and then my cluch pedal was limp. I looked under and the clucth cable disengaged from the quadrant, but when i put it back on it wouldn't budge, I took the dust cover out from under the car and the clutch fork is REALLY loose I can move it back and forth freely and alos side to sside and in and out. s it possible for the fork to have come loose like that? is there a bigger underlyuing problem? I am goin to take the tranny off tomorrow to get to the clutch and bell housing to see whats gong on, not sure if there is a simpler way to reset the clutch fork in p lace without removing the tranny. HELP!!!
drewmp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

First of all, there's no way to line that puppy back up without dropping the tranny. Secondly, it sounds to me like you've got bigger issues, and are going to need to drop the tranny anyways. So do yourself a favor, take out the driveshaft, drop the tranny and put your eyeballs on it and see what is going on. My guess is throw out bearing, and possibly a broken bellhousing/clutch pivot ball.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
gmhatr
Registered Member

My dad had that same problem with his truck. pulled the tranny and found out that the springs from the clutch disk had broken and had lodged between the pressure plate and disk. Don't ask me how this happened. It baffeled both me and my dad.
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Did the clutch cable snap?

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:47 AM   #5
drewmp28
Registered Member

Default clutch cable

the the clutch cable seems to be OK, from what I am hearing it is probably the throwout bearing. I am tering it apart today, do I need to remove the clutch PP and flywheel to replace the TOB or can I do it once the tranny is out and just replace it, haven't done this one before
drewmp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
Scrapla
Registered Member

I had the same problem on my 90gt with the stock set up it was a combination of bad cable and bad grommit where the cable came into the firewall, it was early in the morning and I was already late for work and I go to start my car and the pedal is stiff as hell and I press down and snap it just goes limp and the cable wouldnt stay hooked onto the quad. Just look at the smaller stuff and work your way to the more complicated is all im saying. Good luck!

RICE HATERS MEMBER #73
Scrapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #7
RPM427
Registered Member

Its also possible that the thowout arm popped off of the ball in the bellhousing. Its very unlikley, but its worth checking out.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote