MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2001, 07:43 PM   #1
Kondor_01GTConv
Registered Member

Post first kill with 01 GT - surprised me

I was coming home from work early today from Santa Monica, on the 405 South freeway, and took a 97-00(?) silver Camaro from about 20mph rolling to 80mph by a half a car! I know it wasn't a Z28, but possibly an SS - never got a good look, not sure.

I didn't even see him until we were side by side (one lane between us) and this van slowed to get into another lane.

When I did see him, I was like 'Oh great...', because around where I live everyone has been wanting to race me since my car is new, but I was game nevertheless.

Anyway, we both kind of nodded at the same time to each other, and just took off. He pulled about 2 feet on me, then I began to even up with him, and then pulling on him. I thought for a second he may have let off since I pulled ahead of him, but we both kept pushing until traffic was getting heavier.

By the time I hit 70mph, I had a full car on him, but he quickly caught up. I suspect if we had an open road, he would have pulled on me by about a car or more by 90-100mph.

Wow, I was expecting to get roasted, especially since I just turned 1000 miles on my 01 GT Conv., and haven't quite gotten the feel of it yet.

But the guy was cool - he waved, I waved, and he exited the freeway about 2 miles ahead.

It was a nice surprise. From reading posts here, and also on some other boards, I thought I would stay within a car of him at best.

Kondor_01GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 11:26 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Sounds like you might of had an encounter with a LT-1 Z28. A 6cyl Camaro would of been nowhere near ya, a LS-1 (Unless your TOTALLY on top of your game) would of probably pulled away from ya.

Definetly not an SS.
Either way. Nice Kill for your first race what more can you ask for! Mustang vs Camaro.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax. Ordered 4:10's.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 10-16-2001).]
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:58 AM   #3
Kondor_01GTConv
Registered Member

Hi Mercury

Well, like I said - not sure what model Camaro it was. The reason I said 'definitely not a Z28' is because I didn't see any obvious detail on the car saying 'Z28', but I could have missed it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:
Sounds like you might of had an encounter with a LT-1 Z28. A 6cyl Camaro would of been nowhere near ya, a LS-1 (Unless your TOTALLY on top of your game) would of probably pulled away from ya.

Definetly not an SS.
Either way. Nice Kill for your first race what more can you ask for! Mustang vs Camaro.

Kondor_01GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 11:21 AM   #4
rbatson

Over 70 is where he is going to walk away from ya(in an ls1). Get as much lead as you can to that point and maybe they won't catch ya. Stay nice and calm on the launch and hope they get over excited and spin. I think you should hold your own up to 60-70, then.. its all ls1.
Old 10-16-2001, 11:47 AM   #5
CAMARO GUY
Registered Member

Quote:
Definetly not an SS.

[/B]
And you know this because..........
oh yeah thats right the mighty ss is far superior to the Z28 or something like that.
CAMARO GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:20 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Quote:
Originally posted by CAMARO GUY:
And you know this because..........
oh yeah thats right the mighty ss is far superior to the Z28 or something like that.
Whats that supposed to mean. For one thing, for all those extra clams One would hope the SS is superior to the Basic Z28.

After seeing several of them race, I can say from observations that the SS is Quicker than the basic Z28. That or the Drivers of SS's just drive alot better than your everyday Z28 driver, but thats probably not the case.

I know the only real diffrence between the SS and the Z28 engine wise is a less restrictive exhaust and a little computer tweaking.

Same diffrence between the SS and Vette engine output wise. Well I believe thats it. I'm no Cheverolet Expert nor do I claim to be, but I do know enough about the competition.

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 03:16 PM   #7
CAMARO GUY
Registered Member

The ss while rated at a higher hp. is heavier also the ram air does nothing and the exhaust is not that much better. and there was no computer tweaking. so no the ss is not superior maybe by a half a tenth in the 1/4 if that. thats what a half a length to 100. thats a pretty damn close race if you ask me. oh and I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything I just want people to realize the Z28 is no slouch in comparison to the SS. hope you did't take offence to any of my posts. I just want to share my opinion

later
CAMARO GUY is offline   Reply With Quote