MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Default First race in my new 92 GT 5.0 (5-speed)

This isn't all that exciting, but I got some time to waste.

I just bought a 92 GT in February. It's totally stock except for MAC cold air induction and 2-chamber flowmasters. Suppose to be my street car while I fix up the '79. I was coming up to a stoplight that turned red. This stoplight is at an intesection where you can't go straight (or you'd go into a gas station, so you have to turn left -- not really dead left but a sharp curve left). There is this '94-95 4.6 beside me (i'm in the left lane, he's in the right) with some really nice paint, some flames on the front (kinda hard to see, not overly done or ricey at all) some nice rims (not ricey or dumb-looking), a 2 inch cowl-type hood. Now me in a stock '92 GT pulls up next to this thing, I'm expecting to get beat. THere's a friend in the car with me (I was taking her home) and she starts smiling at me as I turn down the radio and put my hand on the stick. She knew what I was about to do. I was feeling kinda embarassed b/c she is kinda young (about 17 or so) and I knew I'd be setting a not-so-good example for her....

Anyway, light turns green. I pull out with a little revving going into 1rst to confirm that I'm game and since we both have to go around a sharp left turn, since I'm in the left lane, I get a little ahead of him coming around the turn in 1rst, then shift to 2nd slowly increasing speed and waiting for him to hit it.

He hits it in second and holds it longer than I expected, but gains past me to where my front tire is at his side door. I let it tach up to about 5100 in 2nd (I couldn't see well b/c some of my stinking instrument panel lights are blown) and powershift into 3rd. One of the best shifts into third I've ever pulled. Pretty much shot past him and got up to the point where his front bumper is at my back tires. He really shifted sucky. For a second after he shifts 3rd, he starts to gain a hair, then mystiously totally lets off and shuts down. I notice he's installed a Cobra front bumper on his GT.

Oh well, my friends house is coming up on the right and dude in the GT is the back right corner of my car so I have to slow down pull behind him to turn in.

After I drop her off, I'm on my way home and a few minutes into the drive I feel this cool air caressing my neck and look down. CRAP!!!! My A/C was on! *sigh* Stupid me. So not only did I have a passenger, but my A/C was on. I hate crap like that. Anway, I'm not gonna claim a kill on this one. I really dont' care. It was too close and even though we ended the race with me significantly ahead of him, I think he screwed up. I dunno.

Now, I don't usually drive manuals so I need practice, especially in my launches, but that was one of the most perfect, cleanest, most powerful shifts into 3rd I've ever pulled. That was the highlight for me and to feel my car's reaction to it.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:24 PM   #2
VeNuM
Registered Member

4.6's were introduced in 96, in 94-95 they still had 5.0's, and the 5.0's have a wide open throttle A/C cutoff switch, so you're A/C was turned off. Good to hear about that 3rd gear shift though, you got the 2.73's in back? ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Red face OOops....

Well, crap, my mistake. What am I talking about?? , yes, not 4.6, but 5.0. Sorry about that...

Anyway, one thing I didn't know was that the 5.0 HO's have a WOT A/C cutoff switch ??? So you're saying that under WOT, the clutch in the A/C compressor is disengaged?? Didn't know that. That's cool!!
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 04-27-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
VeNuM
Registered Member

Default Re: OOops....

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body
Well, crap, my mistake. What am I talking about?? , yes, not 4.6, but 5.0. Sorry about that...

Anyway, one thing I didn't know was that the 5.0 HO's have a WOT A/C cutoff switch ??? So you're saying that under WOT, the clutch in the A/C compressor is disengaged?? Didn't know that. That's cool!!
Yeah, it is pretty cool! My A/C system wasn't working so I was checking all my relay's and such and found out that the Fox mustangs have them. It's a good thing to have, don't wanna be racing anybody with the A/C on~ ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Oh, BTW, I'm assuming 3.08s, not 2.73s. Haven't checked for sure yet though.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video